2021: 05.175 - Jets select CB Jason Pinnock

NewAge

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I wonder why he was around when we picked him?  He also was not in a lot of mocks or rated highly on media sites. Hmmm

Most Day 3 picks are bunched together, teams tend to lean on scouts/coordinators/position coaches. That's how guys start to slip through the cracks. 

43 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Most Day 3 picks are bunched together, teams tend to lean on scouts/coordinators/position coaches. That's how guys start to slip through the cracks. 

That is just the teams. I am referring more to fan and media mocks and rankings.  I use 3 sites to get a read on players. Two had no mention of him and one had him as the 47th ranked CB and the 363rd ranked overall player.  I have seen a lot of mocks and player evaluations and he has never been mentioned. You would think, based on what have read about him post draft, his name would have been a little more prominent.

He is the true definition of a sleeper pick. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

That is just the teams. I am referring more to fan and media mocks and rankings.  I use 3 sites to get a read on players. Two had no mention of him and one had him as the 47th ranked CB and the 363rd ranked overall player.  I have seen a lot of mocks and player evaluations and he has never been mentioned. You would think, based on what have read about him post draft, his name would have been a little more prominent.

Yeah I mean as fans we rarely go that deep into guys(pause) and the media usually follows the draft gurus but even they dont talk about 6th/7th round guys that much.

He's definitely an interesting kid, I'm hopeful he can be CB2 for us next to Hall. 

Even when draft gurus rank into the late rounds, they are obviously not putting in the same legwork for those guys as the first or second round guys. You see this in every sport (aside from basketball I guess). Past the early picks, it’s largely area scouts banging the table for their guys that media/public experts know little to nothing about. 

5 hours ago, NewAge said:

Even when draft gurus rank into the late rounds, they are obviously not putting in the same legwork for those guys as the first or second round guys. You see this in every sport (aside from basketball I guess). Past the early picks, it’s largely area scouts banging the table for their guys that media/public experts know little to nothing about. 

The question is though why wasn’t he rated in the 1st or 2nd round with numbers like this?

Hes not from a small school, he has size... there’s really no reason he should’ve gone unnoticed.

Hopefully it works great for us 

14 hours ago, xrade said:

same here.  Tony Pauline at PFN had him ranked 33rd and rated as 7th/UDFA: https://profootballnetwork.com/file-uploads/PFN-NFL-Draft-Guide-2021.pdf

Echols is a well-rounded cornerback who plays disciplined football and played within the system at Kentucky. His thin build is a hindrance, but Echols has enough skill and ability to line up in dime packages at the next level. PFN’S BEST NFL FITS Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills times pass defenses. Reads the quarterback’s eyes, makes his move to the throw, and possesses good hands for the interception. Aggressive and fires up the field giving effort against the run. NEGATIVES Possesses a thin build and gets overmatched by bigger receivers. Not a strong or stout corner. Despite being a productive multi-sport athlete, Brandin Echols’ lack of exposure from a small high school in Mississippi, combined with disappointing grades, saw him travel the junior college route. He starred for Northwest Mississippi CC, earning NJCAA second-team All-American honors. A three-star JUCO recruit, he arrived in Kentucky in 2019 where he led the team in pass breakups. A two-year starter for the Wildcats, he earned Hula Bowl and Shrine Bowl invites following his senior season. POSITIVES Slightly undersized cornerback with terrific play speed and ball skills. Quick flipping his hips in transition, fluid pedaling in reverse, and stays with assignments. Keeps the action in front of him, stays on the receiver’s hip out of breaks, and displays a terrific move to the ball. Effectively covers receivers on crossing patterns, tracks the pass in the air, and nicely

35 minutes ago, dcat said:

Tony Pauline at PFN had him ranked 33rd and rated as 7th/UDFA: https://profootballnetwork.com/file-uploads/PFN-NFL-Draft-Guide-2021.pdf

Echols is a well-rounded cornerback who plays disciplined football and played within the system at Kentucky

How about Pinnock?  That is who we have been talking about. What I saw of Echols is what you stated. He was rated higher than Pinnock. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

How about Pinnock?  That is who we have been talking about. What I saw of Echols is what you stated. He was rated higher than Pinnock. 

whoops. Wrong profile.  PFN (Pauline) had Echols ranked 5th round, CB #27  Pinnock ranked 7th rd CB # 33.

JASON PINNOCK CORNERBACK 3.27 GRADE 7TH-FA PROJECTED ROUND 33 POSITION RANK 263 OVERALL RANK

A three-star cornerback out of Connecticut, Jason Pinnock also played wide receiver and competed in track and field at Windsor High School. He saw extensive playing time on special teams as a freshman for Pittsburgh, contributing to a 43-game career that included 19 starts. His 3 interceptions in 2020 were a career high, with one sealing a win for the Panthers over Louisville. POSITIVES Nice-sized cornerback with an underrated game. Quick-footed in reverse, flips his hips in transition and plays heads-up football. Mixes it up with receivers throughout the route, positions himself to make plays on the pass, and possesses good ball skills. Physical, uses his hands to get off blocks and gives effort defending the run.

NEGATIVES Play speed is a major concern. Cannot recover. Lacks great closing burst.

ANALYSIS Pinnock is a hard-working cornerback with terrific ball skills and a feel for the position. He rarely plays to his 40 time and speed will be an issue, but Pinnock can line up in dime packages for a zone scheme. PFN’S BEST NFL FITS Carolina Panthers, Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelers

If people really want to know about why he fell or was not ranked. It is VERY easy. Numbers do not tell what a player will be. Numbers are just a small sample on how he might turnout. There is a lot to go along with it. He may not have the hip movement for the NFL. Maybe his back peddle is not there. He may be in a zone most of the time getting help. He may have only been thrown too half the time as the other guys becasue the teams he went against was run heavy more. I REALLY try to look at everything not just numbers because numbers don't always tell the story. You can make numbers look good or bad for a player. I look at him as a number 4 CB and play special teams at best. This is why I'm worried about Zach Wilson too. 

29 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

He may not have the hip movement for the NFL. Maybe his back peddle is not there. He may be in a zone most of the time getting help

All the reports indicate otherwise. The post from dcat says that above. He played press a lot. I agree that the best evaluation is watching him on game days and not just stats, but all reports indicate a decent CB. At the very least, someone that should have received a lot more pre draft hype. That is why I brought this up.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

If people really want to know about why he fell or was not ranked. It is VERY easy. Numbers do not tell what a player will be. Numbers are just a small sample on how he might turnout. There is a lot to go along with it. He may not have the hip movement for the NFL. Maybe his back peddle is not there. He may be in a zone most of the time getting help. He may have only been thrown too half the time as the other guys becasue the teams he went against was run heavy more. I REALLY try to look at everything not just numbers because numbers don't always tell the story. You can make numbers look good or bad for a player. I look at him as a number 4 CB and play special teams at best. This is why I'm worried about Zach Wilson too. 

You're worried about Wilson because of a 5th Round Cornerback. Good lord help me this season. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork