Round 5: Pick 178; Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, App State

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

He's not even on my spreadsheet. Completely off the radar.

He's a 5th round prospect in Dane Brugler's "Beast" draft guide.

STRENGTHS: Balanced athlete to flip his hips and smoothly transition…not the most sudden player, but he doesn’t play stiff either…his route recognition allows him to see plays develop before they happen…floats and baits like a savvy vet…attacks the catch point with the “my ball” mentality you want to see…has the feisty personality needed for the NFL level…better tackler than expected with very few misses on his docket…good-enough grip strength to get his man on the ground even when his form isn’t perfect…voted a senior captain by his teammates…finished with 33 passes defended in his career.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t have ideal size or body mass…plays violent, but his average play strength will only take him so far vs. physical NFL receivers…will be late getting off blocks…gives up inside position too easily and would like to see better jam mechanics…has spacing issues in zone coverage…guilty of grabbing late if he finds himself caught a step behind (11 penalties over the last two seasons)…got his hands on a lot of footballs over his career, but picked off only two passes in college.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Appalachian State, Jean-Charles played both left and right cornerback on defensive coordinator Dale Jones’ scheme. After two years as a subpackage corner, he became a starter as a junior and logged 27 passes defended over 26 games the last two seasons, including an FBS-best 17 passes defended in 2020. Jean-Charles plays with confidence and route anticipation, which allows his instincts and preparation to kick in, leading him to plays. He will struggle to recover after a misstep and needs to eliminate the panic plays. Overall, Jean-Charles doesn’t have an elite size/speed/strength profile, but he is a “right place, right time” type of player and stays balanced in coverage to disrupt passing lanes.

GRADE: 5th Round

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Positive side of this is .... Gute loves his RAS scores so if he has picked someone relatively unknown with horrible RAS scores this early (just about fits into the mid-rounds) he must think a lot of him as a player.

Or he got him mixed up with someone else. 

So many sub elite RAS players this year. I think the Rodgers thing broke Gutey...

Just watching the highlights, he's an annoying little bugger isn't he? always sticking his hands where it doesn't belong.

He's totally not your typical Packers DB pick. He's short and lightweight with average speed. I wonder what we see in him because i'm not seeing anything that could translate to special teams. He does have good traits for slot corner though.

Edited by Chili

6 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

So many sub elite RAS players this year. I think the Rodgers thing broke Gutey...

Or maybe the RAS thing hasn't worked as well.

Or maybe Gutey is out and Rodgers takeover is complete and he's doing the draft himself. After a few drinks, picks will get more and more random.

8 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Or maybe Gutey is out and Rodgers takeover is complete and he's doing the draft himself. After a few drinks, picks will get more and more random.

He probably thought he was drafting himself in the 3rd round. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Or maybe it never was a thing