New York Giants 2021 Draft

ny92mike

• 1st Rnd - Pick 20 | Overall: 20 | NYG selects Kadarius Toney - WR
    • Traded down with the Bears from 11th overall to 20th.
      • Acquired a first and 4th round pick next year. 
  • 2nd Rnd - Pick 18 | Overall: 50 | NYG selects Azeez Ojulari - OLB
  •  
    • Traded down Dolphins.
      • Acquired 2022 3rd round pick
  • 3rd Rnd - Pick 7 | Overall: 71 | NYG selects Aaron Robinson - CB
  • 4th Rnd - Pick 11 | Overall: 116 | NYG selects Elerson Smith - DE
  • 6th Rnd - Pick 12 | Overall: 196 | NYG selects Gary Brightwell - RB
  • 6th Rnd - Pick 17 | Overall: 201 | NYG selects Rodarius Williams - CB
  • Like 2

Really down that we didn't use a single pick to better the IOL.  I've got to hope that Joe Judge and company know something about our current roster/depth that I'm not seeing.  

I'm fine with all the players we drafted, but would have loved to seen us draft Trey Hill, center out of Georgia.  

I'm saying it now, that if this offensive line struggles, particularly on the inside, I'm blaming Dave Gettleman.  He had every opportunity to improve the the bottom ranked offensive line in this draft and didn't.  But hey, we'll have a solid defense this year as well as a star cast at receiver for Jones.

I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't see this inside group doing anything more than what they did last year.  

LT 78 Thomas, Andrew 20/1  72 Barton, Jackson W/KC 76 SOLDER, NATE U/NE        
LG 71 Hernandez, Will 18/2 66 Lemieux, Shane 20/5            
C 65 Gates, Nick CF18 64 Harrison, Jonotthan SF21 77 Pulley, Spencer W/LAC        
RG 73 Fulton, Zach CC/Hou 60 Murphy, Kyle CF20 62 Slade, Chad SF20        
RT 74 Peart, Matt 20/3 79 WIGGINS, KENNY SF20

I feel good out the outside, with Thomas, Peart, Solder.  Maybe Zack Fulton, Kenny Wiggins and Shane Lemieux can make a difference.  

• Like 1

No doubt Graham has all the ingredients he needs to deliver an elite defense. Anything lower then top 10 D will be a disappointment. This draft class screams weapons. No trench players whatsoever. All O and D weapons. Edge rushers, CB's, and wideouts. DG must be quite confident in the lines. Can't say I agree with him. 

6 hours ago, Shockwave said:

No doubt Graham has all the ingredients he needs to deliver an elite defense. Anything lower then top 10 D will be a disappointment. This draft class screams weapons. No trench players whatsoever. All O and D weapons. Edge rushers, CB's, and wideouts. DG must be quite confident in the lines. Can't say I agree with him. 

Agreed...I was really hoping that we'd got after a NT.  If we still owned that 5th pick 20, could have landed Tedarrell Slaton - DT - Florida.  I see him developing into a solid NT.  I like that Dave was able to acquire some future picks, adding a first, third and fourth next year is awesome, just hated losing that 5th.  And really only because we didn't have one. 

You're right, we went after some playmaker positions and didn't draft a single lineman.  I mean we lost Dalvin Tomlinson.  I think BJ Hill is solid and could be just as good but Tomlinson left some big shoes to fill and would have been just fine if we drafted the position.  

While I'm digging this draft, outside of perhaps Brightwell, RB just felt we could have done better.  Brenden Knox, Marshall, imo, would have been a better option if you wanted a power back.  He at least had the stats to back it up.  Went undrafted and Dallas picked him up, so we'll see how well he does being in our division.  

This draft falls on Dave more than any other draft.  The entire world sees us at needing to get better on the interior offensive line and he barely touched it.  If he prevented this team from actually taking the next step by neglecting to address the elephant in the room.  Well if the owners don't fire him...then we'll know they no longer care.  The one thing he was brought in to fix was the offensive line and he's sticking put with what we saw last year?  Okay Dave, lets see how this chapter of your career plays out.  

I hope that I'm 100% off base here and that these guys on the line prove me wrong.  I'm comfortable with the tackles we've got, believe those guys will work out just fine.  But, I am not sold on the interior and believe we could have strengthened the center and guard positions.

All I ask is for Dave to prove me wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I hope that I'm 100% off base here and that these guys on the line prove me wrong.  I'm comfortable with the tackles we've got, believe those guys will work out just fine.  But, I am not sold on the interior and believe we could have strengthened the center and guard positions.

All I ask is for Dave to prove me wrong.

I have disliked Gettleman more and longer than most but I have to defend him here. On the Big Blue Banter podcast they said that Gettleman looked upset around when Azeez was taken, they believe Gettleman wanted to draft an offensive linemen there but was overruled (and rightly so). 

As for Trey Hill, you do know NFL coaches know more than we do about these players, Trey dropped for a reason. Even more important we have Trey Hill's head coach on our staff. If Trey Hill was worth one of our 6th round pick, I am sure Jeremy Pruitt would have said something.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Shockwave said:

We took a hit when we lost Dalvin, but the D-Line should  be okay with Leonard, Dexter, BJ and Danny. As for the offensive line, I think we are just one veteran RG free agent away from being a solid unit.

B- 

I like the players they drafted.  I LOVE that came away with an extra 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick next year.  I don’t think we’re going to have much cap space for big name free agents next year, so those extra picks will be wonderful 

But they ignored the position that I felt was the biggest need, OL.  Unless there is a plan to sign a quality veteran, or there is some hidden gem on the roster we don’t know about, how do you not try to upgrade the 31st ranked O-line? 

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Stole this from General 

E0Y8zeGWYAQj3fy?format=jpg&name=4096x409

NBC Sports Edge is the Russian judges giving us a C for a grade.

Myself I'm constantly going back and fourth between and A- and an A. We got quality players while getting extra key draft picks for next year.   

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Clearly the god of thunder does not like Trader Dave

Good point, in that case it is probably my fault. After trading down to get us an extra 3rd round pick and still getting Azeez, the day after he traded down and got us an extrs 1st round pick I (and many other Giants fans) was referring to him as Gettlegod. 

2 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I have disliked Gettleman more and longer than most but I have to defend him here. On the Big Blue Banter podcast they said that Gettleman looked upset around when Azeez was taken, they believe Gettleman wanted to draft an offensive linemen there but was overruled (and rightly so). 

As for Trey Hill, you do know NFL coaches know more than we do about these players, Trey dropped for a reason. Even more important we have Trey Hill's head coach on our staff. If Trey Hill was worth one of our 6th round pick, I am sure Jeremy Pruitt would have said something.

So what I can't have an opinion?  Tom Brady slipped in the draft too, guess they missed the memo on him being the goat.  For your information Hill was gone by the time we picked in the 6th round.  Stop acting like you have the inside scoop because you heard on the big blue banter podcast that dave was sad in the second round and that the GM got overruled.

I give it a B. No linemen brings it down a little, but I can't deny the quality of the players we did select and the capital we built up for next year.

Did Matt Lombardo really give the Seahawks' draft an F-minus? 😄

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1