New York Giants 2021 Draft

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

This before the draft one has Dolphins @ 10. Bears @7.5. Giants @7.

That seems fair to me.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-win-totals-odds-set-for-all-32-teams-ahead-of-inaugural-17-game-season-chiefs-bucs-at-top/

If the line stays at 7, I will be putting some money behind the Giants.

One thing I do love about our future additional draft pics is we play a factor in them. We play against both the Bears and the Dolphins so beating them not only increases our chances of making the playoffs but also of getting better draft picks.

1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

Where did I say you can't have an opinion? I hope you continue give it. However you are putting our lack of drafting an offensive lineman all on Dave. When Dave has said that draft is a cooperative effort. My humble opinion is if you are going to put blame on Dave, then you need to put blame on Joe and probably Mara as well.

Where would you put the blame if the offensive line doesn't pan out this year?  How long does it take to solidify the issues we've all seen from the offensive line?  

I've mentioned several times that I think the interior line needed to get better and there were plenty of players that I would have been happy to have added in this draft class.

I'm putting blame on Dave if the line doesn't pan out.  

8 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Can you do this for FFMD and TCMD with the new Giants? I’m curious where our players were drafted in the mocks.

TEAMS IRL DRAFT IRL Draft TCMD FFMD Q&P
Kadarius Toney - WR - Florida 20 38 49 34
Azeez Ojulari - OLB - Georgia 50 27 31 25
Aaron Robinson - CB - Central Florida 71 96 92 71
Elerson Smith - DE - Northern Iowa 116 118 124 114
Gary Brightwell - RB - Arizona 196 260 260 260
Rodarius Williams - CB - Oklahoma State 201 146 144 260
2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

The Q&P was the last mock draft we did.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Thank you, what’s Q&P?

Just now, Acgott said:

Thank you, what’s Q&P?

Quick and Painless mock draft....a smaller group of members did a rapid mock right before the actual draft.

X

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Quick and Painless mock draft....a smaller group of members did a rapid mock right before the actual draft.

Ah gotcha 

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Where would you put the blame if the offensive line doesn't pan out this year?  How long does it take to solidify the issues we've all seen from the offensive line?  

I've mentioned several times that I think the interior line needed to get better and there were plenty of players that I would have been happy to have added in this draft class.

I'm putting blame on Dave if the line doesn't pan out.  

I would put blame on Dave and Judge. I myself can't give Judge credit for bringing the Patriot way to the Giants, then not give Judge any of the blame if the O-line does not work out.

Yes you did mention it many times, I am curious who did you want for our interior over our first two draft picks. Urban Meyer said they were going to take Toney with with their 25 pick in the 1st round. For me Azeez is my favorite pick in the draft.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

I would put blame on Dave and Judge. I myself can't give Judge credit for bringing the Patriot way to the Giants, then not give Judge any of the blame if the O-line does not work out.

Yes you did mention it many times, I am curious who did you want for our interior over our first two draft picks. Urban Meyer said they were going to take Toney with with their 25 pick in the 1st round. For me Azeez is my favorite pick in the draft.

If we hadn't traded down, I would have been happy with either Slater or Tucker, valued Tucker slightly higher as I think he would have been a better fit at LG for this team.  At 20th, the value at guard or center wasn't there.  Azeez's value dropped after the report came out about his degenerative joint disease, he should have went higher so landing him after the trade down was great value if you believe that this issue doesn't effect him early in his career.  

Outside of the two highly ranked guards/tackles in the first the value at this position dropped.  Pretty sure the Giants were eyeing Dickerson, Alabama in the second but the Eagles selected him with their 5th, so I was happy we were able to trade down again.

Without the 5th rounder, I was hoping that they would draft Trey Hill, Georgia.  His value dropped due to two knee surgeries, but he would have been a player I would have loved to get in the 6th round but he went right in front of us to the Bengals with the 5th pick.  Hill was another versatile player that could play either Center or guard and would have been nice to have on the roster.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

If we hadn't traded down, I would have been happy with either Slater or Tucker, valued Tucker slightly higher as I think he would have been a better fit at LG for this team.  At 20th, the value at guard or center wasn't there.  Azeez's value dropped after the report came out about his degenerative joint disease, he should have went higher so landing him after the trade down was great value if you believe that this issue doesn't effect him early in his career.  

Outside of the two highly ranked guards/tackles in the first the value at this position dropped.  Pretty sure the Giants were eyeing Dickerson, Alabama in the second but the Eagles selected him with their 5th, so I was happy we were able to trade down again.

Without the 5th rounder, I was hoping that they would draft Trey Hill, Georgia.  His value dropped due to two knee surgeries, but he would have been a player I would have loved to get in the 6th round but he went right in front of us to the Bengals with the 5th pick.  Hill was another versatile player that could play either Center or guard and would have been nice to have on the roster.

To add, I've done a few mocks taking AVT with the first overall pick but in doing so wasn't able to address the Edge, but in those mocks the edge players were drafted higher than they went IRL.  I love the fact we were able to add more picks next year, but the cost of doing so prevented us from addressing the IOL sadly.

I give this draft a easy A.  No doubt one of the better draft classes we had.  Toney is a stud and listening to "experts" and there bs.  Just watch the game. Watch the game vs LSU or Alabama. Flat out stud.   Our oline will be fine. 3 second year players that started alot last year. We will be fine there.  To top off a great draft we get 3 additional picks 1 3 and a 4.  

Aaron Robinson is a player, both he and Richie Grant. I went back and watched some 2020 UCF defensive games (could only get broadcast angle unfortunately) and ARob is a hell of player. He played man like 90% of the time, and almost exclusively was out of the slot. I only counted a few snaps where UCF was in zone or they sent him on a blitz. He matched beautifully. His hips are extremely fluid. Hes also a hell of a tackler. Its obvious to see why the Giants like him. I'd put our secondary up there with any other secondary in the league, no question. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Aaron Robinson is a player, both he and Richie Grant. I went back and watched some 2020 UCF defensive games (could only get broadcast angle unfortunately) and ARob is a hell of player. He played man like 90% of the time, and almost exclusively was out of the slot. I only counted a few snaps where UCF was in zone or they sent him on a blitz. He matched beautifully. His hips are extremely fluid. Hes also a hell of a tackler. Its obvious to see why the Giants like him. I'd put our secondary up there with any other secondary in the league, no question. 

He's a very physical type corner that isn't scared to play inside the box.  Get's off his block quickly against the run to come up and make the play.  Instinctive player with very few wasted steps.  A do it all type corner, but at his best in man coverage.  USF played him a lot in press coverage, which wasn't the best fit for him IMO. 

I can see him playing some quality football on the outside because of his size and speed (4.39 at his pro day) with a 37 inch vertical jump.  Not the ideal size to play your typically slot position.  Actually our latest FA signing Adoree Jackson seems better suited to play that position.  It'll be interesting to see how fast this rookie picks up the game at the pro level.  I think he's got the potential to be our outside corner opposite Bradberry with Jackson in the slot.  Very excited to have him as I'm sure our coaching staff is as well.

Man, what a fun draft as a Giants fan. So much intrigue as the Top 10 progressed. As soon as SF took Trey Lance, I knew Mac Jones was dropping to our pick and then some. His hype was inflated by the SF rumors and I never thought that hype was shared across the other QB-needy teams. Justin Fields dropping to our pick was a surprise though and the catalyst for a great trade. That future 1st is huge. I don't want to talk too negatively because I still have hopes but if Jones ****s the bed this year and it's time to move on, we now have the firepower to get up into the top 2-3 to get a QBOTF. But let's not think disaster scenario :)

Kadarius Toney - what has hurt this offense so much the last several years was not enough big plays. No home run threats. Slayton came in and started to provide that but with no other big weapons, teams were able to shut him down. Toney was the last piece along with Golladay and Ross to make this offense a homerun waiting to happen. Saquon, Toney, Ross and Slayton can all take it to the hosue at a moments notice. Golladay and Shepard eat up the underneath stuff and keep the chains moving. And with this, Toney doesn't need to be more than he is. He doesn't need to be a polished route runner or receiver. Just get the ball in space and make something happen.  Notice how I haven't mentioned Engram yet either ;).

Azeez Ojulari - this is a boom or bust pick that is absolutely worth the risk based on where the pick happened. He might get washed out a bit by more powerful OT but if they don't pay attention to him, he can be a game-wrecker. I do fear he can't be a lead guy if all the attention is on him but in this defense, he shouldn't have to be.

Aaron Robinson - maybe a little surprising considering the investment at CB but keep in mind how little Man we were able to play last year. Robinson is physical if nothing else. He doesn't seem to have great ball skills but I honestly don't put too much emphasis on that. If you're shutting your man down, you're doing your job. The INTs will come - even if it's other guys on the defense - if the coverage stays tight.

Elerson Smith - a bit of a surprise but again.. keep throwing darts at the board until you hit. He's not the biggest or strongest but when I look at his tape, he seems to read the OL's technique well and determines his attack based off that. 

Gary Brightwell - you knew a late round RB was coming. Not much to analyze there. He won't see the field much (hopefully).

Rodarius Williams - same thought as Robinson considering the investment at CB but Williams is replacing the back end of the CB group. That is the Beal/Yiadom/Hartage group. Beal has no shot to make this roster. He's done nothing to deserve if. And you're going to have to pay them soon anyway, which we're not doing. Are you really going to miss them? Williams looks big and physical on the field. He seems like draft gem potential but again at worst, he's just a depth guy that ends up getting replaced toward the end of his rookie contract. 

Finally, there is a lot of frustration over no OL investment. I get it but at what point do you move on? You could continue to throw darts at it like rushers but OL is different. We're not looking for depth, we're looking for impact starters. IMO if you're not taking OL in the 1st or 2nd round, you can't expect to find an impact starter. Once they got past picking Ojulari - and I think Ojulari and Toney were great picks based on our needs - I almost prefer they don't continue to waste draft picks looking for starters on the OL

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Not happy with this draft outside of Azeez. I also as a fan feel lied to by John Mara whom in his presser said 3 weeks ago that we would go BPA with our picks. You can not convince me that Kadarius Toney was the BPA for our selection in rd1.  Nor any justification for picking multiple corners when completely unnecessary. The trades were good but i dont get for the life of me how we go with a WR in rd1 over Edge or IOL. Just made zero sense to me. This coaching staff has got to see something in this group of olinemen that we dont, that is very obvious. DG said the value wasnt there for OL when our numbers came up. I dont buy that at all. I really dont.  Passing on a guy like Rashawn Slater early and even later on a guy like Ben Cleveland i find a bit twisted especially when after the drafts over he goes out and grabs 2 UDFAs along the IOL. I hope im wrong on this assumption of all is well with what the coaching staff sees in this oline but im not gonna hold my breath. 

Edited by Giants4eva