New York Giants 2021 Draft

ny92mike

2 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Not happy with this draft outside of Azeez. I also as a fan feel lied to by John Mara whom in his presser said 3 weeks ago that we would go BPA with our picks. You can not convince me that Kadarius Toney was the BPA for our selection in rd1.  Nor any justification for picking multiple corners when completely unnecessary. The trades were good but i dont get for the life of me how we go with a WR in rd1 over Edge or IOL. Just made zero sense to me. This coaching staff has got to see something in this group of olinemen that we dont, that is very obvious. DG said the value wasnt there for OL when our numbers came up. I dont buy that at all. I really dont.  Passing on a guy like Rashawn Slater early and even later on a guy like Ben Cleveland i find a bit twisted especially when after the drafts over he goes out and grabs 2 UDFAs along the IOL. I hope im wrong on this assumption of all is well with what the coaching staff sees in this oline but im not gonna hold my breath. 

sooo you wanted them to go BPA but also draft for need?

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

sooo you wanted them to go BPA but also draft for need?

BPA. Period. Kadarious Toney was no way in hell the BPA for slot# 20. Azeez was a good pick. But Robinson? Not necessary nor bpa. And neither was Smith or Williams. Ive been given a load of BS by many others when i called out a few years ago BPA in a certain draft was Laremy Tunsil over Eli Apple. This was not a good a smart pick at 20 nor good picks for multiple corners who will barely see game time unless on ST. I dont buy any of the crap DG said after the presser about the value wasnt there for oline. 

Edited by Giants4eva

3 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Not happy with this draft outside of Azeez. I also as a fan feel lied to by John Mara whom in his presser said 3 weeks ago that we would go BPA with our picks. You can not convince me that Kadarius Toney was the BPA for our selection in rd1.  Nor any justification for picking multiple corners when completely unnecessary. The trades were good but i dont get for the life of me how we go with a WR in rd1 over Edge or IOL. Just made zero sense to me. This coaching staff has got to see something in this group of olinemen that we dont, that is very obvious. DG said the value wasnt there for OL when our numbers came up. I dont buy that at all. I really dont.  Passing on a guy like Rashawn Slater early and even later on a guy like Ben Cleveland i find a bit twisted especially when after the drafts over he goes out and grabs 2 UDFAs along the IOL. I hope im wrong on this assumption of all is well with what the coaching staff sees in this oline but im not gonna hold my breath. 

I don’t understand, how can you feel lied to that we didn’t go BPA when we didn’t directly address our needs? The fact we went WR (not a primary need) and then took a corner (not a need) with our picks suggest otherwise and that we did for BPA. The front office felt that a trade down was better value than taking standing pat and taking the BPA. The compensation we received for the trade down we can’t ignore was hard to pass up. BTW I ain’t blindingly trusting this FO, because the results ain’t been there largely. I just find it hard to be critical right now. We’ll see in a year or two from now 

6 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

BPA. Period. Kadarious Toney was no way in hell the BPA for slot# 20. Azeez was a good pick. But Robinson? Not necessary nor bpa. And neither was Smith or Williams. Ive been given a load of BS by many others when i called out a few years ago BPA in a certain draft was Laremy Tunsil over Eli Apple. This was not a good a smart pick at 20 nor good picks for multiple corners who will barely see game time unless on ST. I dont buy any of the crap DG said after the presser about the value wasnt there for oline. 

I imagine our 6th round picks are for ST. Which position were did you want them to address in that round?

Just now, Acgott said:

I imagine our 6th round picks are for ST. Which position were did you want them to address in that round?

Was Aaron Robinson the wise move in the 3rd rd?  or do u address the line with Ben Cleveland who on most boards was a late mid to late 2nd round guard?  When is Robinson gonna see the field? And when exactly was he necessary to grab when this team is carrying what 12 DBs at this point? 

Just now, Giants4eva said:

Was Aaron Robinson the wise move in the 3rd rd?  or do u address the line with Ben Cleveland who on most boards was a late mid to late 2nd round guard?  When is Robinson gonna see the field? And when exactly was he necessary to grab when this team is carrying what 12 DBs at this point? 

I don’t study the draft nor have I watched any tape, but if Cleveland was pick 3.94, he was not ranked as a mid 2nd by the NFL. I would have liked to have selected a Guard in 1-3, after that it goes into the developmental prospects, where we have plenty. We did draft 3 OL last year.

Regarding Robinson, knowing nothing about the player, I wont say much. I do know that our secondary was brutalized last season, especially at CB 2-100. In a passing league, I’m not going to complain to have an extra CB, when a player’s play can turn upside down in a second.

3 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Yeah I really wanted the Giants to take either Slater or AVT with this 11th pick.  It just seemed like Dave was deadlocked at getting a playmaker with the first pick and after Philly traded up and snagged Smith, which I'm glad they did, not a huge fan of the smaller type receivers.  It was almost like he tossed his hands up and accepted the trade down to 20.  KT was a solid pick at 20 especially after the top lineman went off the board at 13 and 14.  Getting the first and fourth next year was nice but again at what cost?

After those two guys there was a considerable drop in talent on the interior line.  At the top of the second, Dickerson, C got snagged by Philly which again opened the door for yet another trade down.  After we drafted the linebacker with the 18th pick, I was good with that.  What really hurt was Josh Myers, C (OHIO) and Creed Humphrey, C (OKLAHOMA) were taken back to back at the bottom of the second round. 

Really our best shot at getting a talent at the interior line would have been to not trade down in the first and draft one there, because after that the board just didn't work out for us.  Hell even in the sixth round, Trey Hill, C (GEORGIA) was taken right in front of us.  

What if the Giants had drafted one of these guards in the first round rather than trading down to 20?  As much as I loved acquiring the extra first and fourth next season, I can't help but wonder if they did enough for this year.  Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, Acgott said:

We did draft 3 OL last year.

This is a good point and it ties into my thinking that you don’t used day 3 to address your needs and finding starters. It’s to develop guys or taking a chance on perceived risks due to character or injury. If we took invested in that area last season in latter rounds it’s with the assumption of that those guys should get better. Any guy we drafted end of day 2 and day 3 was no lock to start. They’re just a body brought into compete with what we have. I’d understand if we stood pat at 11 and didn’t take Slater or AVT. But that offer from the bears was hard to turn down 

Really it all boils down to is that we had the option to draft OL in the first or trade down.

What would you guys have done?  

You guys know my answer...AVT/Slater all day long...haha.  Primarily because we needed better than what we've got at guard.  

Landing AVT/Slater and Azeez with the first two picks would have been considered an A+ draft imo.

Would have landed two positions at the highest level of need for the team.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Finally, there is a lot of frustration over no OL investment. I get it but at what point do you move on? You could continue to throw darts at it like rushers but OL is different. We're not looking for depth, we're looking for impact starters. IMO if you're not taking OL in the 1st or 2nd round, you can't expect to find an impact starter. Once they got past picking Ojulari - and I think Ojulari and Toney were great picks based on our needs - I almost prefer they don't continue to waste draft picks looking for starters on the OL

What do you mean by "move on"?  Throwing darts?...That's the entire draft with every unproven prospect from the first to last pick, so how is the OL different in your opinion?  Teams have been finding talent at the line within every round.  

I guess I just don't understand why some of us Giants fans are content with the line we have when I think we could all agree that it didn't look very good last season.  Are we so accepting that a 5th round Shane Lemieux, UDFA Nick Gates,  6th round Zach Fulton is going to keep Jones upright for the duration of the season?

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

What do you mean by "move on"?  Throwing darts?...That's the entire draft with every unproven prospect from the first to last pick, so how is the OL different in your opinion?  Teams have been finding talent at the line within every round.  

I guess I just don't understand why some of us Giants fans are content with the line we have when I think we could all agree that it didn't look very good last season.  Are we so accepting that a 5th round Shane Lemieux, UDFA Nick Gates,  6th round Zach Fulton is going to keep Jones upright for the duration of the season?

Nope, but like it’s been mentioned what would you rather do trade down and get very good compensation or would you stay at 11 to draft Slater or AVT. I’m taking the trade down personally but I do kinda get why people wanted us to take a IOL. Me personally I find IOL replaceable and easy to find. 

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Nope, but like it’s been mentioned what would you rather do trade down and get very good compensation or would you stay at 11 to draft Slater or AVT. I’m taking the trade down personally but I do kinda get why people wanted us to take a IOL. Me personally I find IOL replaceable and easy to find. 

Appreciate your input I just disagree with it.  

If your rebuilding a team I can certainly see the value in acquiring addition picks for the following year, but I just don't see this team after 3 seasons still considered in rebuild mode.  I also can't agree that finding IOL replaceable and easy to find.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Appreciate your input I just disagree with it.  

If your rebuilding a team I can certainly see the value in acquiring addition picks for the following year, but I just don't see this team after 3 seasons still considered in rebuild mode.  I also can't agree that finding IOL replaceable and easy to find.

I mean this upcoming season isn’t do or die so I don’t think trading down is an issue. We’ll see, but I personally don’t think whether our line was is good year or not hinged on what we did this draft because say we even took Slater or AVT, we’d still have question marks on at one of the guard spots, Center and to a much lesser extent RT. 

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

I mean this upcoming season isn’t do or die so I don’t think trading down is an issue. We’ll see, but I personally don’t think whether our line was is good year or not hinged on what we did this draft because say we even took Slater or AVT, we’d still have question marks on at one of the guard spots, Center and to a much lesser extent RT. 

do or die?  How many years are you willing to give this team to start making strides.  I for one am tired of losing.

Can't agree with your logic.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

do or die?  How many years are you willing to give this team to start making strides.  I for one am tired of losing.

Can't agree with your logic.

It made strides last season. I expect us to compete for the division this season which is another stride regardless if went IOL or not at 11.