New York Giants 2021 Draft

ny92mike

I thought the draft was almost flawless traded down 2 times and still got 2 potential starters and 3 draft picks next year including a 1st. Our receiver core including the new guys in free agency, all have been injured. Shep is 1 hit from retirement ans slayton cant get open.  Toney was a great pick and will be a top receiver in the very near future. The oline last year has 3 starting rookies last year will only get better. There wasnt many olineman that could have been that good to start over these guys other then 2 or 3 guys.  These linemen werent that great.   All and all for what draft picks spots they had they did great.  Grade A

5 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

It made strides last season. I expect us to compete for the division this season which is another stride regardless if went IOL or not at 11.

You said, "I mean this upcoming season isn’t do or die so I don’t think trading down is an issue. We’ll see, but I personally don’t think whether our line was is good year or not hinged on what we did this draft because say we even took Slater or AVT, we’d still have question marks on at one of the guard spots, Center and to a much lesser extent RT."

It' the logic of what you said, that if we drafted a Slater or AVT, that we would still have question marks with the C, RG and a lesser extent RT.  So you admit that the line has issues but if we couldn't fix all 3 then no need to attempt to fix any of it.

Sure we made strides on the defensive side of the ball.  Where did we not make strides?  hmmm maybe the offensive side.  Where Daniel Jones had 11 touchdowns and 11 fumbles.   Now they invested a ton of money getting Jones some legit targets to throw to and if that's enough, awesome.  Just hopeful that he's afforded the time in the pocket to get the ball to these guys.  Him running around trying to make plays with his feet doesn't work and is going to get him seriously injured.

For the sake of having an argument, I hope you're right and that what we have at the offensive line works out for Daniel Jones, if no one else.  Yes, the offensive line did improve as the season wore on, it went from atrocious to below average.  I'm perfectly happy with the talent we've got at both left and right tackle, just believe we could have done much better on the interior.  Again, I hope that Dave proves me wrong about the security on the line but their recent comments haven't convinced me.    

In Dave Gettleman's encouraging words, "Right now, our offensive line is what it is, the players are who they are and we’re going to move forward.” 

I'm not saying the OL is in great shape.. we've drafted 5 OL in the last 4 drafts including 3 just last year.. we drafted 2 WRs over that same time including Toney this year.. and finally we drafted 2-3 EDGE rushers over that time other than Ojulari and none were higher than the 6th round other than Ojulari..

Last season no WRs could get open, we had no big plays and generated no pass rush other than LWill..

You can't solve every problem in one offseason so yeah, I'm fine with them not drafting OL because if we just continue to draft OL and hope they hit then a year down the road we'll be saying DG is terrible because we have no pass rush or weapons. With any luck Thomas, Peart and Lemieux all take steps forward and we're sitting here a year from now not needing to draft OL high.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ny92mike said:

You said, "I mean this upcoming season isn’t do or die so I don’t think trading down is an issue. We’ll see, but I personally don’t think whether our line was is good year or not hinged on what we did this draft because say we even took Slater or AVT, we’d still have question marks on at one of the guard spots, Center and to a much lesser extent RT."

It' the logic of what you said, that if we drafted a Slater or AVT, that we would still have question marks with the C, RG and a lesser extent RT.  So you admit that the line has issues but if we couldn't fix all 3 then no need to attempt to fix any of it.

No what I’m saying is that this we aren’t competing for a SB this season or next season for that matter in all likelihood. Where we go next season did not hinge on whether he took IOL at 11. Of course every little helps but you can’t fix all your needs in one off season and besides we received a great offer to trade down. We’ll where we are come September. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

No what I’m saying is that this we aren’t competing for a SB this season or next season for that matter in all likelihood. Where we go next season did not hinge on whether he took IOL at 11. Of course every little helps but you can’t fix all your needs in one off season and besides we received a great offer to trade down. We’ll where we are come September. 

If we hadn't traded down in the first, we could have addressed one of them. 

Again, the logic.  So when do you see this team being ready to win some games in the playoffs?  If we aren't ready maybe we could tank a few more years to get some top picks.

7 hours ago, ny92mike said:

If we hadn't traded down in the first, we could have addressed one of them. 

Again, the logic.  So when do you see this team being ready to win some games in the playoffs?  If we aren't ready maybe we could tank a few more years to get some top picks.

Yeah we could’ve but we didnt. I don’t understand how somebody can have an issue with us trading down with the compensation we received. 

I think this team can make the playoffs which is a reasonable expectation. Win a playoff game? Who knows. That would’ve been my expectation whether we took IOL or not at 11. 

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yeah we could’ve but we didnt. I don’t understand how somebody can have an issue with us trading down with the compensation we received. 

I think this team can make the playoffs which is a reasonable expectation. Win a playoff game? Who knows. That would’ve been my expectation whether we took IOL or not at 11. 

While I don't agree completely with them, I can understand peoples concern. The Giants are not going above .500 if this o-line fails to perform. Right now the Giants are asking us to have faith in a 5th rounder, the 2nd rounder that got beat out by the 5th rounder and an undrafted free agent to be the answers in the middle of this o-line. The o-line was the biggest weakest  of this team and they did not spend any big money on a free agent or invest any draft picks into building it up this season.

15 hours ago, Acgott said:
Someone likes our draft 

https://jacklich10.xyz/shiny/consensus_bb/

One person's opinion is meh, but there is more power in the consensus.  Jack did a good job combining player rankings from 13 different sources (see link above), and then ranking the drafts based on deviation from the consensus big board.  Giants ranked #11. 

2 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

While I don't agree completely with them, I can understand peoples concern. The Giants are not going above .500 if this o-line fails to perform. Right now the Giants are asking us to have faith in a 5th rounder, the 2nd rounder that got beat out by the 5th rounder and an undrafted free agent to be the answers in the middle of this o-line. The o-line was the biggest weakest  of this team and they did not spend any big money on a free agent or invest any draft picks into building it up this season.

I totally agree that its still an unknown. My point, and i probablyshould’ve been more clear, is that whether we make the playoffs or not hinges on the development and performance of what we have on the line right not on whether we drafted an IOL at 11 or in the middle rounds. The development of our current group was gonna be the difference. 

9 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I don’t understand how somebody can have an issue with us trading down with the compensation we received. 

The issue I've got is that the team drafted Barkley with the 2nd overall pick and drafted Jones with the 6th overall pick.  That's a ton of value that we really haven't seen a return on this investment.  

Getting the extra picks next year is great, but at what cost?  I for one am tired of seeing Barkley getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage, tired of seeing Jones running for his life.  Both of them were injured last season because they were asked to do too much behind a porous offensive line, particularly the interior.  

If this line doesn't vastly improve this year, we could be using this additional draft capital to draft yet another quarterback.  

For me, I would have preferred the team inject some better talent on the line to give Barkley some better odds as well as give Jones a little more time in the pocket.  

I've got no issue with the talent we drafted this year, but drafting a top prospect at guard in the first vs adding a first next season.  Now if this line works out like some of you are thinking, then Dave Gettleman will be considered a lord among the other 31 GM's, however, if it doesn't work out I fully expect him to be fired for neglecting to do more in this draft when he had the opportunity.

I think people forget we won the superbowls with 2 undrafted players in seubert and ohara along with 5th rounder in diehl 3rd rounder in Mckenzie and 2nd round with snee. Not 1 first round player.  We played 3 rookies and a 1st year center last year on the oline and they improved with every game they played.  Giants oline will be much improved.                                   Our receivers now are always injured and shep is 1 hit away from retirement. Also the drop balls were embarrassing losing games (Engram). Was that Jones fault lol?  We will be a playoff team with this team no doubt. We improved in every position even oline. 3 rookies and first year center will only improve.  

4 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

I think people forget we won the superbowls with 2 undrafted players in seubert and ohara along with 5th rounder in diehl 3rd rounder in Mckenzie and 2nd round with snee. Not 1 first round player.  We played 3 rookies and a 1st year center last year on the oline and they improved with every game they played.  Giants oline will be much improved.                                   Our receivers now are always injured and shep is 1 hit away from retirement. Also the drop balls were embarrassing losing games (Engram). Was that Jones fault lol?  We will be a playoff team with this team no doubt. We improved in every position even oline. 3 rookies and first year center will only improve.  

No one has forgot.  We haven't had that good of a line in a long time.  And really don't think you could even compare that line up to what we currently have.  

We also had a great quarterback in Eli that made the receivers better.  He has always done this. 

Apples and oranges...lol.

I don't bag on Jones in fact I believe he can be a good player but he needs a clean pocket to do it as so many of them do.

Well its not really apples to oranges. In fact Eli and Coughlin were both on there way out on year 4 and thank god for the defense, so Eli wasnt great. This line now can be better because they were 4 new starters last year and they will improve.  I love Eli but dont make him out to be this unbelievable player. Jones has the opportunity to actually showoff his potential with the more experienced line. 

1 hour ago, Cuziam71 said:

Well its not really apples to oranges. In fact Eli and Coughlin were both on there way out on year 4 and thank god for the defense, so Eli wasnt great. This line now can be better because they were 4 new starters last year and they will improve.  I love Eli but dont make him out to be this unbelievable player. Jones has the opportunity to actually showoff his potential with the more experienced line. 

No it really is apples and oranges and Eli was a GOLDEN GOD.  Stop typing you're drunk.

drunk GIF

new york giants GIF

Edited by ny92mike