New York Giants 2021 Draft

ny92mike

22 hours ago, ny92mike said:

No one has forgot.  We haven't had that good of a line in a long time.  And really don't think you could even compare that line up to what we currently have.  

We also had a great quarterback in Eli that made the receivers better.  He has always done this. 

Apples and oranges...lol.

I don't bag on Jones in fact I believe he can be a good player but he needs a clean pocket to do it as so many of them do.

Tbf those first 2-3 years with Odell we had a more than competent enough line to where we could put up points. Don’t remember those lines being good. They were just competent to where we could make plays down field and Eli wasn’t on his ***. Granted we weren’t a downfield offense so that had something to do with it 

6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Tbf those first 2-3 years with Odell we had a more than competent enough line to where we could put up points. Don’t remember those lines being good. They were just competent to where we could make plays down field and Eli wasn’t on his ***. Granted we weren’t a downfield offense so that had something to do with it 

Odell's rookie season, Manning had 601 attempts that year.  Where our top receivers were Odell, Rueben Randle and Larry Donnell.  You're right that line wasn't anything to write home about.  Will Beaty, LT / Weston Richburg, LG / JD Walton, C / John Jerry, RG / Justin Pugh, RT.  The difference maker was Eli Manning.  Love or hate him, people liked playing for him.

That following year, they adjusted the line again with Ereck Flowers / Justin Pugh at LG / Weston moved to center / Geoff Schwartz / Marshall Newhouse where Eli got even a heavier load with 618 attempts.  

imo, the last time we actually had a solid offensive line was 2011 and a great year it was, (Beatty / Diehl / Baas / Snee / McKenzie). 

I believe that if we had drafted AVT this year, it would have made a huge difference.  Pretty sure we're all in agreement that Will Hernandez isn't the answer and while Shane played better, it still wasn't that great.  Also, believe that if Gates could add a little more meat on those bones he could be a very dominate center/ guard for us.  He certainly has the nasty streak you look for at that position.  Right guard not sold just yet on who we've got but I've said several times I'm happy with our tackles.  I don't even think the coaches know who will be playing each position this year, which tells me the unit isn't set.  

Having a hypothetical line such as Thomas / AVT / Gates / Fulton / Peart would have given me a bit more confidence in the line, than what we've currently got, in such a critical year for Daniel Jones to prove he belongs. 

I'm reading now that the Giants front office had 4 players in mind with pick 20.  

"The Giants were going to draft Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith at No. 11 until the Eagles traded over them to take him, and once that happened, USC guard Alijah Vera-Tucker was next up on their board, sources said.  When they traded back, it’s believed their four-player list included Vera-Tucker, Northwestern tackle Rashawn Slater, Kentucky linebacker Jamin Davis and Toney."

I think the team really wanted to address the offensive line in this draft, but things just didn't work out for them. 

We'll see if it works out.  There is still some talent in free agency and depending how well or poorly this current unit has progressed or regressed with all the draft capital we now have at least the flexibility to actually trade for a player or two if need be.

Edited by ny92mike

Hypothetical question, what if Azeez Ojulari was drafted prior to Giants actually selecting him in the 2nd.  Who do you think we would have selected?  Reason I ask is because I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.  Right before the draft, he was climbing up the boards really quick.  Saw some sites even having the Giants take him at 11.

Trading down in the 2nd was a ballsy move, with him still on the board.  I wish I could view the Giants draft board to see what their top players ranked in this draft.  Makes me wonder if their plan wasn't to draft offensive line in the second, as the value was certainly there for several of them.  But with Azeez sitting their they couldn't pass up that value especially after trading down.  

Lineman that were drafted shortly after; Samuel Cosmi, WAS / Dillion Radunz, TEN / Josh Myers GB / Creed Humphrey, KC

On 5/8/2021 at 10:34 PM, Cuziam71 said:

Golden god WTF!!!  PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING LOL?  Look ikow you can be that stupid but calling a qb that a couple good seasons while the team won 2 superbowls Defense was the MVP and he did nothing else. Stop being a homer and be realistic.  

Eli was not simply along for the ride for the Giants playoff success. Eli out played Farve in Green Bay in the cold, and when the game was on the line in those final two minutes Eli led the drive winning drive against the Patriots the first they beat them in the Super bowl. The Giants won with balance on offense and defense. 

The Giants failed to provide Eli with an offensive line, despite in 2016, playoff Eli came to play, problem was Odell and the rest of the wideouts were dropping balls on him. Had they catch the balls we would have been scoring touchdowns instead of field goals and blown Green Bay out early.

• Like 1

According to the NFL's 2021 Strength of Schedule, we have a pretty easy schedule.  Let's hope we can take advantage of it.

"Based on combined winning percentages from the 2020 season, the Giants have the eighth-easiest strength of schedule next season. The Giants' 2021 opponents went 128-142-2 (.474) in 2020. The Philadelphia Eagles (.430) will head into next season with the "easiest" lineup, while the Pittsburgh Steelers (.574) have the "hardest" schedule in the NFL." 

Home

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Denver Broncos
  • Los Angeles Rams (NFC West Same-Place Finisher)
  • Washington Football Team
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Away

• Kansas City Chiefs
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Chicago Bears (NFC North Same-Place Finisher)
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Miami Dolphins (AFC East Same-Place Finisher)

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I believe that if we had drafted AVT this year, it would have made a huge difference.  Pretty sure we're all in agreement that Will Hernandez isn't the answer and while Shane played better, it still wasn't that great. 

No, I do not agree with that. Will Hernandez is a big mauling guard, what the Giants asked of their guard was to be more athletic and mobile which Hernandez is not. If the NFL had a real spring training season last year, perhaps Hernandez could have adopted his body to Judge's o-line scheme. Hernandez is losing the weight to get more athletics and be more of fit the scheme this year.

Shane was an embarrassment in pass protection, Shane was also a 5th round pick for a reason. If I  had to put money on who would improve the most, I am putting my money on the 2nd round draft pick that is playing for his next contract.

1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

No, I do not agree with that. Will Hernandez is a big mauling guard, what the Giants asked of their guard was to be more athletic and mobile which Hernandez is not. If the NFL had a real spring training season last year, perhaps Hernandez could have adopted his body to Judge's o-line scheme. Hernandez is losing the weight to get more athletics and be more of fit the scheme this year.

Shane was an embarrassment in pass protection, Shane was also a 5th round pick for a reason. If I  had to put money on who would improve the most, I am putting my money on the 2nd round draft pick that is playing for his next contract.

I hadn't heard that Will was going through a transformation, I'll be interested to see if this helps.  Love your enthusiasm but I'll buy into it when I see it.  I wasn't impressed with him when we drafted him and just don't believe that losing the weight will be enough, but I'm skeptical.  I really do hope you're right. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

According to the NFL's 2021 Strength of Schedule, we have a pretty easy schedule.  Let's hope we can take advantage of it.

"Based on combined winning percentages from the 2020 season, the Giants have the eighth-easiest strength of schedule next season. The Giants' 2021 opponents went 128-142-2 (.474) in 2020. The Philadelphia Eagles (.430) will head into next season with the "easiest" lineup, while the Pittsburgh Steelers (.574) have the "hardest" schedule in the NFL." 

Home

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Denver Broncos
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Away

• Kansas City Chiefs
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Finally schedule talk. I think we are playing the Eagles the first game of the season. I want Dallas in Dallas on Sunday night for the whole NFL to see we are taking this division.

That being said, this team is going to grow and get better as the season progresses similar to last year, which is why I hope we do not play too hard of a schedule in the first half. Even though I believe we are the best team in the NFC East,  l would hate to face the WFT early on. Our o-line is probably going to need a few games to truly be cohesive. 

2 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Finally schedule talk. I think we are playing the Eagles the first game of the season. I want Dallas in Dallas on Sunday night for the whole NFL to see we are taking this division.

That being said, this team is going to grow and get better as the season progresses similar to last year, which is why I hope we do not play too hard of a schedule in the first half. Even though I believe we are the best team in the NFC East,  l would hate to face the WFT early on. Our o-line is probably going to need a few games to truly be cohesive. 

At home, the two teams that would worry me would be the Rams, with imo a much better quarterback than they had last year.  The other team would be the Falcons as they just beefed up their receiving group with Kyle Pitts.  Good news is that our defense regardless, how good or bad the offense is, will keep us in a very tight scoring game.  

Our division has so many question marks, that we've got just as good if not better chance of winning those games.    

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Denver Broncos
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Away, we've got a tough schedule, with KC and TB being the most worrisome but the Chargers and Dolphins could be putting out some quality football this year too. 

All in all, if we get some answers to our questions (can Barkley get and stay healthy and can Jones improve from his last seasons performance) during preseason and training camps I feel pretty good with the overall schedule.  Right now the goal I've got for this season and that's winning our division.  We do that and I'll feel like we're moving in the right direction. 

• Kansas City Chiefs
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Giants/Rams is of course the most important game for us, as I live in California. Can’t let me friends have bragging rights again! I just don’t want it to be week 1, as my friends are away that week.

I believe Giants vs. Eagles will open it up.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Hypothetical question, what if Azeez Ojulari was drafted prior to Giants actually selecting him in the 2nd.  Who do you think we would have selected?  Reason I ask is because I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.  Right before the draft, he was climbing up the boards really quick.  Saw some sites even having the Giants take him at 11.

Trading down in the 2nd was a ballsy move, with him still on the board.  I wish I could view the Giants draft board to see what their top players ranked in this draft.  Makes me wonder if their plan wasn't to draft offensive line in the second, as the value was certainly there for several of them.  But with Azeez sitting their they couldn't pass up that value especially after trading down.  

Lineman that were drafted shortly after; Samuel Cosmi, WAS / Dillion Radunz, TEN / Josh Myers GB / Creed Humphrey, KC

In the NFC East thread in the Eagles forum it was mentioned Ojulari has had some severe knee/ankle issues and it's questionable how long he'll hold up. But he was cleared by Dr. James Andrews so hopefully he ends up being a big steal for us. Eagle fans think he's going to bust... no bias of course.

5 hours ago, Shockwave said:

In the NFC East thread in the Eagles forum it was mentioned Ojulari has had some severe knee/ankle issues and it's questionable how long he'll hold up. But he was cleared by Dr. James Andrews so hopefully he ends up being a big steal for us. Eagle fans think he's going to bust... no bias of course.

Yeah...im not too worried about his condition at least not yet.  Degenerative joint disease doesn't really start take hold until mid to late 30's at least that was my case with degenerative disc disease.  

• Like 1