2021: 06.207 - Jets select DT Jonathan Marshall

NewAge

Wasnt really familiar with this guy or most the interior class because I knew it wasnt going to be on our radar of early selections, but knew of him because the incredible pro day.  

Thinking he might just be a workout warrior, actually going back and watching their is something here with this guy, he actually looks as athletic and strong on the field as the workouts show but didnt get to showcase all of his abilities playing a lot of NT in Arkansas defense, he is much more of a natural 3T.

Truly is prob the highest upside of all the defenders we drafted.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:08 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

Being in a room with QWill, Fatukasi, JFM, Rankins, Lawson, Curry, Huff, etc...he's gonna learn some things. I like this pick for the upside and we tend to develop interior DL in later rounds well. 

I just question how he makes the roster, bc as you said the depth we already have on the IDL. We have 4 guys there that are very talented already. 

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just question how he makes the roster, bc as you said the depth we already have on the IDL. We have 4 guys there that are very talented already. 

All I know about him is what has posted in this forum. But he looks like an athletic 3T that has great burst and a really fast first step. This is in keeping with Saleh’s vision of getting faster and more athletic on D. I guess it is possible he does not make the roster, but guys like Fats may be more or a cut or trade candidate since he does not fit with Saleh’s idea for his defenders.

It will be interesting to see what this D will look like on the field. 

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

In terms of Defensive tackles QWill, Fats and Rankins are locks. I figure we carry 5 maybe 6 if you count JFM. He definitely gets the nod over Shep.

52 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

In terms of Defensive tackles QWill, Fats and Rankins are locks. I figure we carry 5 maybe 6 if you count JFM. He definitely gets the nod over Shep.

I just think we won’t carry that many DTs. I count JFM as a DT. So Q, Foley, Rankins and JFM are 4. I think we carry 4 or 5 DEs. Lawson, Curry, Huff, Zuniga and maybe Rashed. Rashed I think would make the roster over Marshall Bc he can be used in more positions. LB I think we carry Mosley, Davis, Cashman, Sherwood and Nasrildeen. Maybe even 1 more there. And the secondary has countless guys to choose from.

My point being Marshall is going to have his work cut out for him to make the team. This happened years ago when we had Hyder. Our DTs were just stacked at that time and he got picked up. This might happen with Marshall.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I just think we won’t carry that many DTs. I count JFM as a DT. So Q, Foley, Rankins and JFM are 4. I think we carry 4 or 5 DEs. Lawson, Curry, Huff, Zuniga and maybe Rashed. Rashed I think would make the roster over Marshall Bc he can be used in more positions. LB I think we carry Mosley, Davis, Cashman, Sherwood and Nasrildeen. Maybe even 1 more there. And the secondary has countless guys to choose from.

My point being Marshall is going to have his work cut out for him to make the team. This happened years ago when we had Hyder. Our DTs were just stacked at that time and he got picked up. This might happen with Marshall.

Maybe, Douglas carried 6 interior DL last year so I would assume we carry around 5/6 along with 5/6 EDGE guys. 

We should be looking to see if we can one of our DTs that is going to lose snaps. See if can add a corner. Would love to keep this guy around if he truly is that athletic. You can teach everything else, you cant teach athleticism.