Oof da!, It's the UDFA thread

vike daddy

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

It was always going to be a weak class of UDFAs because of the lack of players available for the draft to begin with, so anyone that doesn't get drafted in this draft, likely may not have even gotten signed as a UDFA in a normal year.  Add in the fact that the Vikings have a fairly deep roster point already at many positions, that makes it even more unlikely that any of these will have an impact.  I do like having guys named Tuf and Whop though.  Can't really beat that.

I disagree with that.  Sure the UDFA is a little less than usual but there is quality there.  Vikings got a few decent guys, sure most likely it will not matter but late time I checked Adam Thielen was a UDFA so it does kind of matter.

Here is the list of guys that I felt were pro prospects but went back to school because of the pandemic and extra year given.  All were RS SR or SR players and were given another year and took it, all are pro prospects as well and sure if they were in this draft many would have been UDFA or drafted players.

Ryan Liam Washington State RS SR OG
Zion Johnson Boston College RS SR OG/OT
Brian Robinson Jr Alabama RS SR RB
Jack Jones Arizona State RS SR CB
Zach VanValkenburg Iowa RS SR DE
Ty Fryfogle Indiana RS SR WR
Tomon Fox UNC RS SR OLB
Tre Webb San Jose State RS SR S
Nate Landman Colorado RS SR ILB
Conner Olson Minnesota RS SR C/OG
D'Eriq King Miami FL RS SR QB
Cameron Goode Cal RS SR OLB
JoJo Domann Nebraska RS SR OLB
Ventrell Miller Florida RS SR ILB
Sam Schlueter Minnesota RS SR OG/O
Mark Kallenberger Iowa RS SR OG/OT
Noah Burks Wisconsin RS SR OLB
Marquel Dismuke Nebraska RS SR S
Kuony Deng Cal RS SR LB
Joey Blount Virginia RS SR S
Eyioma Uwazurike Iowa State RS SR DE
Stewart Reese Florida RS SR OG
Greg Eisworth Iowa State RS SR S
DaQuan Newkirk Florida RS SR DT
James Skalski Clemson RS SR ILB
Tevin Paul Cal RS SR OLB
Chris Owens Alabama RS SR C
Will Honas Nebraska RS SR OLB
Nolan Turner Clemson RS SR S
Mandy Alonso Virginia RS SR DE
Scott Patchan Colorado State RS SR DE
Big Kat Bryant Tennessee SR DE
Chase Brice App State SR QB
Jeremiah Moon Florida RS SR OLB
Brad Hawkins Michigan RS SR S
Shai Werts Louisivlle RS SR WR/RB
Seth Green Houston RS SR TE
Liam Shanahan LSU RS SR C
Marcelino Ball Indiana RS SR S/LB
Luc Bequette NA SR DE
Glen Logan LSU RS SR DE

Still it does matter, but will be curious if any RS SR or SR players given another year, were not pro prospects then but work themselves into being one with that added year.  Most likely not but what the hell, play football another year, basically get paid to go to school and get more of an education and have free living expenses.  Why not, a few of the guys I listed could be greatly benefit from having another year.  Does not really make this UDFA class any less but sure when the rookie class is so deep with so many players the UDFA are a little less key.  Still they got some guys who could stick around.

I just think in a normal class of draftees, there'd probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 times as many players available for the draft, so in the case of this year where only 600 players were even entered in the draft, and you still couldn't get drafted?  The likelihood far more is that you don't even meet NFL player standards.  There may be some quality there, but not much.  Thielen isn't a fair comparison, because a guy like him comes across once in a generation across the NFL.  I'd be surprised if there's more than the number I can count on one hand that even makes a NFL roster this year.  Most will have even a tough fight to make the practice squad.        

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I just think in a normal class of draftees, there'd probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 times as many players available for the draft, so in the case of this year where only 600 players were even entered in the draft, and you still couldn't get drafted?  The likelihood far more is that you don't even meet NFL player standards.  There may be some quality there, but not much.  Thielen isn't a fair comparison, because a guy like him comes across once in a generation across the NFL.  I'd be surprised if there's more than the number I can count on one hand that even makes a NFL roster this year.  Most will have even a tough fight to make the practice squad.        

3 times as many players?  Where you get this number of 600 players entered into the draft?

That would be curious to read that, honestly there is about what 400 that should be considered in the NFL, cannot imagine 600 legitimately considered.  So based on that there is what 1800 entries into the draft on a normal year if it is three times the amount this year?  Not sure where you are getting that or how it is accurate information at all.  Granted no FCS guys could come out but all the good ones did not take part in this spring season because they were already NFL prospects and entered the draft for obvious reasons and more than a few did exactly that.  

There was a ton of guys who made rosters or were brought up from practice squads last year as UDFA players and is every year, especially if one considers the practice squad part of the roster which really it is. James Robinson was the leading rusher on the Jaguars last year as a UDFA and Myles Bryant showed some big time ability as a backup DB for the Patriots.  

Jared Pinkney, Tyler Huntley, Jacob Breeland, Trystan Colon-Castillo, Chauncey Rivers, Rodney Smith, Chris Orr, Jordan Mack, AJ Green, Terence Steele, Francis Bernard, Essang Bassey, Tipa Galeai, James Robinson, Darryl Williams, Bryce Perkins, Myles Bryant, Malcolm Roach, Keith Washington, Marquez Callaway, Calvin Throckmorton, Salvon Ahmed, Yasir Durant, Parnell Motley, Tommy Townsend, JaMycal Hasty, Chris Miller etc.

Not sure how many guys are considered NFL prospects each year but my guess it is closer to 400 but yeah sure every eligible college football player that is a RS SR or SR is a NFL prospect along with almost any underclassman that declares.  Does not mean they actually are one but sure they all could be drafted.

For example there are 1 million roughly high school football players, only 73,712 players compete in college with football and that is all levels.  Only 2.9% total high school players are D1 athletes.  It also says that 16000+ players are "eligible" for the draft per year of the 73,712 college football players roughly at all levels, and 1.9% of them are drafted in the NFL not including UDFA.

"We estimate that 3.8% of draft-eligible Division I players were chosen in the 2019 NFL draft (249 / 6,490).  Splitting this calculation into subdivision, 6.8% of FBS players were estimated to be drafted (238 / 3,491), as compared to 0.4% of FCS players (11 / 2,999).  Narrowing further to the five Division I conferences with autonomous governance (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC), we estimate that 11% were drafted (197 / 1,769). "

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/football-probability-competing-beyond-high-school

That 3.8% of draft eligible D1 players were picked in the draft, 249/6490.  Seems high but again that is considering every single dude when really it is not ever dude it is about 400 of those 6490 players.  

But yeah next year will be a little heavy because all the SR and RS SR players who decided to come back to school because they were given another year.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Last year, there were 1,932 players eligible for the draft, that's where I got the number from.  In this year, it was around 650.  

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2021/4/26/22403812/2021-nfl-draft-shallow-pool-rams

I am not really sure what to make of that stat. It feels meaningless to me. More important is how many players are eligible for the draft that teams have draftable grades on. I don't know that there is any correlation between than and the number of draft eligible players. The number of draft eligible players is more a statement of how many players became ineligible for NCAA play.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am not really sure what to make of that stat. It feels meaningless to me. More important is how many players are eligible for the draft that teams have draftable grades on. I don't know that there is any correlation between than and the number of draft eligible players. The number of draft eligible players is more a statement of how many players became ineligible for NCAA play.

I think it is reflective of those that actually signed with an agent, not necessary those that just became ineligible for NCAA play, as there's going to be far more players that became ineligible for NCAA play.

As far as the number of players that teams have draftable grades, that's certainly going to vary from team to team, but one number I heard is that many teams this year only had about 150-200 players even draftable out of the ~650 that signed with an agent.  

For me, my statements are purely made from a logic standpoint.  It only makes sense logically that in a smaller class of eligible players, those that don't get drafted are going to be even worse than typical UDFA players, because some of those 1300+ that didn't become eligible to be drafted would have surpassed those that did get drafted this year.  And so it holds, that some of those that ended up being drafted this year (especially, if you think about it from the perspective of those 150-200 draftable players) wouldn't have even been drafted in a normal year and they would have ended up as UDFAs, pushing some of those that signed as UDFAs this year out completely (not necessarily all of them, but I imagine a great portion of them).  

On 5/1/2021 at 9:43 PM, SemperFeist said:

So a guy named Whop and another named Tuf.  Can Spanky be far behind?

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

So a guy named Whop and another named Tuf.  Can Spanky be far behind?

So who has the best chance to make the final 53 man roster? My bet is Proehl (WR) and possibly Patterson (K). Other than that, the rest might make the PS. 

46 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

So who has the best chance to make the final 53 man roster? My bet is Proehl (WR) and possibly Patterson (K). Other than that, the rest might make the PS. 

It's gonna be a fight between which unheralded WR's son makes the roster...whose son is gonna be available in the next few years to compete for a spot on the Vikings' roster?  Wayne Chrebet?  Troy Brown?  James Thrash?  How about Johnnie Morton?