Oof da!, It's the UDFA thread

vike daddy

Last week, we profiled the most overlooked prospect in the 2021 NFL draft, but concealed his identity in order to protect the teams that were interested in him. Guesses from across the internet poured in. Now, we reveal the identity of ‘Prospect X,’ and his NFL team.

Rick Spielman, the Vikings general manager, was a Lions scout when Detroit selected Luther Elliss with the 20th pick in 1995. Twenty-six years later, the two are on the phone discussing Luther's son. The Vikings’ final pick of the draft came at 199, and they won’t be trading back in. Spielman tells Luther they’ll wait patiently, that there’s no rush to make up his mind. But he wants to make clear: The Vikings want Christian Elliss.

As many correctly guessed—on Twitter, Reddit, and elsewhere—this year’s Prospect X is Christian Elliss, who played outside linebacker at the University of Idaho, an FCS program in Moscow, Idaho.

In 1995, he was chewed out face-to-face by Bill Belichick, then the head coach of the Browns, when Belichick flew out to Utah to personally work him out. Luther’s agent at the time (who he fired soon after this incident) advised him not to work out, because he was a top-20 pick and top-20 picks only worked out at their pro days. Even though Belichick was already there waiting in-person, his agent told him to tell the coach to come back for his pro day. Luther did as he was told; Belichick was red in the face with anger. “He told me I would never play for him or any organization he is part of as long as he is alive, and he would never have any one of my type of character,” Luther says. “That was really hard.”

The general managers of the three finalists each contacted Team Elliss on Saturday evening. And each of the final three teams told Christian they would wait for him to make his decision, so he didn't have to worry that they would go sign the next available linebacker, while he spent five minutes analyzing his spreadsheet. Christian felt the Vikings never made any false promises during the process—he respected that—and it also didn’t hurt that they matched the highest offer he received.

Throughout the draft process, Christian had felt connected to the Vikings. He enjoyed his video meeting with their linebackers coach and co-defensive coordinator Adam Zimmer (that was the one where he kept apologizing for mixing up college and pro terminology), and his conversation with Spielman and head coach Mike Zimmer after the draft convinced him that Minnesota was the best fit. “They felt like home already,” he says

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/06/identity-of-prospect-x-draft-deepest-sleeper-new-nfl-team

Im calling it right now, Blake Proehl will make the final 53 either as the starting punt returner or as a ST/WR5 guy. 

I think Chisena is a goner. And Beebe has had his issues staying healthy. 

He seemed to be one of, if not their top priority UDFA.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Im calling it right now, Blake Proehl will make the final 53 either as the starting punt returner or as a ST/WR5 guy. 

Make your call in the "Predict the 53" thread. 😉

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:30 PM, Eric dunn said:

Beebe has been with us since 2018 and our team seem excited for him. I think he stays.

Thielen

Jefferson

Beebe

Johnson

Smith-Marsette

Proehl

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Beebe has been with us since 2018 and our team seem excited for him. I think he stays.

Thielen

Jefferson

Beebe

Johnson

Smith-Marsette

Proehl

Im not saying that they dont believe in his talent, he's definitely a favorite of the coaches (which ive never understood). Im more so saying id be surprised if he stayed healthy thru out camp to win a spot. Injuries have been a common theme with him even going back to college. Plus i think they bring in a guy like Dede. Which would make the WR depth chart AT-JJ-Dede-ISM-Johnson-Proehl or Beebe. With Proehl being the ST coverage/possible punt return guy that could work his way up the WR depth chart. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Im not saying that they dont believe in his talent, he's definitely a favorite of the coaches (which ive never understood). Im more so saying id be surprised if he stayed healthy thru out camp to win a spot. Injuries have been a common theme with him even going back to college. Plus i think they bring in a guy like Dede. Which would make the WR depth chart AT-JJ-Dede-ISM-Johnson-Proehl or Beebe. With Proehl being the ST coverage/possible punt return guy that could work his way up the WR depth chart. 

That'd be good. Another veteran WR could help and Westbrook is still only 27.

I wonder if our team has soured a bit on Bisi Johnson? He's good for a 7th round guy I think.

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

That'd be good. Another veteran WR could help and Westbrook is still only 27.

I wonder if our team has soured a bit on Bisi Johnson? He's good for a 7th round guy I think.

From what i remember Bisi had an amazing training camp last year. I dont know for sure, but id bet that they would keep Bisi over Beebe if it came to that. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, Eric dunn said:

From what i remember Bisi had an amazing training camp last year. I dont know for sure, but id bet that they would keep Bisi over Beebe if it came to that. 

I think Beebe was more of the 3rd option and slot WR when everyone was healthy but Johnson was more of the backup for is there was an injury. I think he played more than Beebe when Thielen was out