Round 6: Pick 214; Cole Van Lanen, OT, Wisconsin

19 minutes ago, St Vince said:

All the so called "draft experts" say we took every lineman a round too early. Well that's what you have to do when you pick at the end of every round.

Lol right. We either take them early or don’t get them at all. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, St Vince said:

All the so called "draft experts" say we took every lineman a round too early. Well that's what you have to do when you pick at the end of every round.

Anyone complaining that a team "reached" in the 5th round or later simply doesn't understand the draft as well as they should.

• Like 5

On 5/10/2021 at 5:29 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

The description of players as a "reach" tends to go away if they're any good. 

It's mostly that the draft basically runs out of players anybody has any conviction on sometime around the 4th round possibly extending into the top of the 5th in a really deep class.

So when you get to those last three rounds, everybody is a "well, maybe". and sometimes the answer to that question is going to be "yes."

21 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's mostly that the draft basically runs out of players anybody has any conviction on sometime around the 4th round possibly extending into the top of the 5th in a really deep class.

So when you get to those last three rounds, everybody is a "well, maybe". and sometimes the answer to that question is going to be "yes."

5th round on when someone says "he could've been a UDFA!" it's like "why take the chance?" especially since everyone's boards are all over the place in the FIRST round, much less the later ones. If you like a player, go get him. 

• Like 1

I just watched that thing.  Cole is an interesting player.

He's playing left tackle.  Looks like his feet are good, nice and choppy.  Pass protection sets look good, like he has a good base on him.

The run blocking is what is interesting to me.  

There are times that he fires out low and knocks DE's and DT's about 5 yards off of the ball.  Then there are times when he stands up too tall and gets no movement.  Like maybe it was a conditioning thing.

I'm not sure if he is a guard or tackle.  Guard is going to be a struggle for him unless he learns to play lower.

55 minutes ago, R T said:

Since the beginning of the 2018 season, Cole Van Lanen graded as the 2nd best run blocker (87.3) among Big Ten OTs.

If he can continue his development and bring that to the pros, I will be mighty happy having him be a contributing member of the Green Machine

4 hours ago, R T said:

Since the beginning of the 2018 season, Cole Van Lanen graded as the 2nd best run blocker (87.3) among Big Ten OTs.

FWIW, he is listed as a T/G like Newman. He's your proto-typical great college OT that has some major red flags moving into the pro's. I'm holding plenty of hope out for him though simply because his red flags can be corrected through coaching and physical maturity. If he can find some more flexibility he's definitely viable as a swing T/G over the long-term and run-blocking is one of his best strengths. If he makes the final-53 some year, could we see jumbo packages where he aligns as an extra blocker on one side of the OL?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, R T said:

Watch the tape.  If he can play lower all the time, he would have been the best run blocker.  His feet are pretty quick and there's nice power there when he's low.  Looks like about one out of 4 reps from this clip have him way too high in the run game.  

If he's playing guard and that happens, the NFL DL are gonna tear him up.

My thought is this....Kenny is going to give him his lunch once or twice in camp when he comes out high.  Coaches will work to "fix" that.

To me, he's a LT.  He will be cross trained, but I think that will be his spot.  We shall see.  I like his tools at LT.  From the little I've seen, I think he's quicker of foot than Newman. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Watch the tape.  If he can play lower all the time, he would have been the best run blocker.  His feet are pretty quick and there's nice power there when he's low.  Looks like about one out of 4 reps from this clip have him way too high in the run game.  

If he's playing guard and that happens, the NFL DL are gonna tear him up.

My thought is this....Kenny is going to give him his lunch once or twice in camp when he comes out high.  Coaches will work to "fix" that.

To me, he's a LT.  He will be cross trained, but I think that will be his spot.  We shall see.  I like his tools at LT.  From the little I've seen, I think he's quicker of foot than Newman. 

I watched it. I had the same feeling that you stated earlier, got the feeling he was a little gassed and that is when he would get to high. Could it be something as simple as conditioning? I think he is a better prospect than some are giving him credit for though. 

• Like 1

I don't see CVL making it, he'll get a year on the PS this year, personally watching Coy Cronk in 2019 when he was healthy, he's the better player. If they both come into camp in shape and stay healthy, I see him beating out CVL. CVL's Chase Young tape is just downright ugly, Coy does a pretty decent job on him. I just don't see the functional strength or heavy hands for CVL to make it. He's certainly not an OT to me, maybe a couple years in the weight room and he can be an OG. Certainly his strength at this point is his ability to execute the trickier blocks the ZBS asks you for in the run game. I can see why we gave him a shot based on that, his pass sets are just so incredibly finesse I can't get on board with him playing outside. He'll be able to handle the Leonard Floyd bender types, but guys like Gary and Z are going to eat his lunch all camp long.