Gutey or Rodgers?

VonKarman

Gutey or Rodgers?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which side are you on?

1 hour ago, Siv said:

I think a lot of this is speculation and bs. People need to let it play out and find out what’s true and what’s not before coming to conclusions and forming strong opinions on the matter. 

Everyone knows this but it will never happen because there's internet article hits to be had and social media mic drops to make.

19 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

And what happens when you communicate your plan to your QB and he throws a fit about it? Do you let him cry himself out like a toddler, or do you capitulate to his demands?

Nothing good comes from involving players in roster decisions. 

Brady lobbied hard for Gronk. Arians obliged. How'd that work out? 

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Correct, everything that happens in Tampa would happen exactly the same way in GB

The issue was whether a GM should ever listen/involve other players in the process of player acquisition. A straw men wrapped in sarcasm doesn't really address that issue. 

A counter-example, where that process went wrong, would be relevant. Got any?   

37 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

The issue was whether a GM should ever listen/involve other players in the process of player acquisition. A straw men wrapped in sarcasm doesn't really address that issue. 

it might be the case that when things don't go well nobody hears about it because it's not advantageous for anyone to make it public knowledge

Edited by incognito_man

25 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Gute said in his presser on Saturday that he regrets not informing Rodgers about their plans to potentially draft a QB in the 2020 draft, and more importantly why they might draft a QB.  It’s not like Gute believes in the narrative by some in this forum that players should be left in the dark on personnel decisions.  Some may say Gute has no reason to apologize or feel regret about the situation.  Gute knows better than any of us what went down and how it should’ve played out.  I’ve changed my attitude towards Gute and hope he can work through this situation.

36 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Yep, when Tom Brady lobbied for Antonio Brown while they were in NE together. Did that work for NE at that time? It certainly did not. 

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

it might be the case that went things don't go well nobody hears about it because it's not advantageous for anyone to make it public knowledge

Oh, I'm sure there are examples. It was an honest question.  

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Gute said in his presser on Saturday that he regrets not informing Rodgers about their plans to potentially draft a QB in the 2020 draft, and more importantly why they might draft a QB.  It’s not like Gute believes in the narrative by some in this forum that players should be left in the dark on personnel decisions.  Some may say Gute has no reason to apologize or feel regret about the situation.  Gute knows better than any of us what went down and how it should’ve played out.  I’ve changed my attitude towards Gute and hope he can work through this situation.

Not informing Rodgers of his plans isn't really a big deal. It's the aftermath where he's choked. In light of the Love selection, Rodgers was going to either want security or a trade. To date, Gute hasn't been willing to provide either. He seemingly wants the MVP, who's on the back nine, to be a happy lame duck until they're in a better position to move on from him in '22. That's not real smart. It reflects both an underestimation of Rodgers on-field worth and an ignorance as to the nature of his personality. Those miscalculations are why Rodgers is as good as gone. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Les Punting said:

Not informing Rodgers of his plans isn't really a big deal. It's the aftermath where he's choked. In light of the Love selection, Rodgers was going to either want security or a trade. To date, Gute hasn't been willing to provide either. He seemingly wants the MVP, who's on the back nine, to be a happy lame duck until they're in a better position to move on from him in '22. That's not real smart. It reflects both an underestimation of Rodgers on-field worth and an ignorance as to the nature of his personality. Those miscalculations are why Rodgers is as good as gone. 

I ranted last night on this forum about your points above (I had reached my limit of BS about this entire debacle).  I do agree that Gute could’ve managed the situation better, and I also agree with Gute that keeping all players in the dark with regard to personnel decisions is not always a wise move.  It’s very situational, and the best GM’s have their finger on the pulse of their players, especially their stars.

Gute will learn and grow from this experience because he’s not a know-it-all self-righteous pr1ck.  He has enough humility to own mistakes and learn from them, or at least it appears he does.  Rodgers on the hand, will most likely always be passive-aggressive and unpredictable, making life difficult for those around him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

The Packers are not moving on from Rodgers if he continues to produce like he did this past season. Part of the problem is Rodgers doesn't like having his feet held to the fire to produce and he knows the second he doesn't the Packers will move on from him. As for Rodgers security, he has 3 years left on his contract, that is a lot of security.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, R T said:

The Packers are not moving on from Rodgers if he continues to produce like he did this past season. Part of the problem is Rodgers doesn't like having his feet held to the fire to produce and he knows the second he doesn't the Packers will move on from him. As for Rodgers security, he has 3 years left on his contract, that is a lot of security.   

Thank you RT that is exactly correct.  

3 minutes ago, R T said:

The Packers are not moving on from Rodgers if he continues to produce like he did this past season.

Thats what I think as well. Gutes not gonna dump AR if he's kicking ***. Least I dont think so.

The upcoming preseason games could alter that equation some. I'm presuming AR will be on the GB sidelines taking it all in. I'm hopeful Love balls out  -  not to spite AR or any such childishness - but because it would give hope to his being able to carry the team in the post-AR period.