6.227 Israel Mukuamu Safety, South Carolina

textaz03

Reading this kid had a groin injury which affected his play last season. Watching highlights he sure seems to have a nose for the ball. Walter had him as a first round talent before the season finished with a court round grade so he loved the pick.

Normally I have little expectation for 6th round pics making the team but in our secondary he has a good chance.  Is he an upgrade over Robinson, or even Thompson and Wilson.  What about Kearse.  Just how many safeties do we carry...  not counting Neal we have Thompson, Kazee, Wilson and Kearse.   

31 minutes ago, quiller said:

Normally I have little expectation for 6th round pics making the team but in our secondary he has a good chance.  Is he an upgrade over Robinson, or even Thompson and Wilson.  What about Kearse.  Just how many safeties do we carry...  not counting Neal we have Thompson, Kazee, Wilson and Kearse.   

Quinn came out and said Neal will be playing LB. Now, I wouldn't rule out him lining up as a safety in certain packages, but his main role will be as a LB. 

So that leaves a spot at safety. For me? I'd role with the following:

Kazee and Wilson as your starters, Kearse, Reggie Robinson and Mukuamu as your backups. 

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Mukuamu could be in a direct competition with Kearse for snaps/a roster spot, if only due to size. He'll have to contribute on special teams of course.

Hope Thompson gets cut either way. Man he sucks.

He’s not bad but Thompson lacks upside.. in fact he has nothing in that area. Just a very bare bones basic safety 

If this guy was able to come out last year he would have been a late first/early 2nd round guy. Not sure what happened, as he followed that same trajectory of Shaun Wade, but in the 6th both of these guys would have been steals. 

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

If this guy was able to come out last year he would have been a late first/early 2nd round guy. Not sure what happened, as he followed that same trajectory of Shaun Wade, but in the 6th both of these guys would have been steals. 

People ended up looking at his tape and finding out Jaycee Horn was very impressive also. If we was in a secondary which featured him more it would show, much like how Kelvin Joseph was highlighted more in Kentucky's defense rather than when he was at LSU around a first or second round DB every year.