Recapping the 2021 Draft (Post-Draft Talk)

GettyImages-1179441734-775x465.jpg

Just like that the 2021 comes and goes! Some very big lows, some huge highs and lots of new Raiders to get excited about. How do you feel Grudock did?

Round 1 • Pick 17 (17) • OL Alex Leatherwood

Round 2 • Pick 11 (43) • S Trevon Moehrig

Round 3 • Pick 16 (79) • DE Malcolm Koonce

Round 3 • Pick 17 (80) • DB Divine Deablo

Round 4 • Pick 38 (143) • S Tyree Gillespie

Round 5 • Pick 23 (167) • CB Nate Hobbs

Round 7 • Pick 2 (230) • C Jimmy Morrissey

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just don't get how someone can think Leatherwood was better Darrisaw if they dead set on attacking a need at tackle. Going be interesting to see how they both play. Not like Leatherwood was a college RT, they are both converting over to a new position. 

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I just don't get how someone can think Leatherwood was better Darrisaw if they dead set on attacking a need at tackle. Going be interesting to see how they both play. Not like Leatherwood was a college RT, they are both converting over to a new position. 

I guess it’s projection, they think Leatherwood is going to be a better RT than Darrisaw, only time will tell I guess. 

Recap: Day 2 was a winner for me. Lots of potential with this class. Feel we did get a few good starters, and overall the team did get better. 

Fave Pick: Moehrig 

Least Fave: Leatherwood (Draft value not player)

Sleeper Pick: Hobbs (Gut feeling he's starting sooner then later)

Best Part: Abram is on notice, Leavitt is as good as gone. We have some real safeties now.

P.S.

Front Office really must have hated this years DT class. Thought there were a few opportunities to add one. With the lack of new talent drafted and the fact no DT are under contract after the season I'm Calling it right now, next yrs 1st round pick will be a DT.

• Like 1

After the free agency spend on the DLine and watching this.... They're hell-bent on fixing this defense. Also shows you how confident they are in Carr and the offense. I really thought we'd be adding another WR though. Losing Agholor and replacing him with snead is a bit tough. Would have liked one more piece.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NickButera said:

After the free agency spend on the DLine and watching this.... They're hell-bent on fixing this defense. Also shows you how confident they are in Carr and the offense. I really thought we'd be adding another WR though. Losing Agholor and replacing him with snead is a bit tough. Would have liked one more piece.

I think John Brown is Agholor replacement. Snead is just a bonus for more talent in the unit. I'm sure they expect Ruggs, and Edwards to make a year 2 jump. 

56 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

GettyImages-1179441734-775x465.jpg

Just like that the 2021 comes and goes! Some very big lows, some huge highs and lots of new Raiders to get excited about. How do you feel Grudock did?

Round 1 • Pick 17 (17) • OL Alex Leatherwood

Round 2 • Pick 11 (43) • S Trevon Moehrig

Round 3 • Pick 16 (79) • DE Malcolm Koonce

Round 3 • Pick 17 (80) • DB Divine Deablo

Round 4 • Pick 38 (143) • S Tyree Gillespie

Round 5 • Pick 23 (167) • CB Nate Hobbs

Round 7 • Pick 2 (230) • C Jimmy Morrissey

Quick thanks to you for all of the Twitter links and vids you posted throughout the draft as well as making all of the threads!

• Like 5

Grade are a combination of value and the player themself, although mostly value like any draft grades. 

1st Round: OT/OG Alex Leatherwood 

Grade: F

Hard, very hard to get an F. The only three F's I've given the past couple years were Tytus Howard to Houston, in the 1st Round, Damon Arnette to the Raiders in the 1st Round, and Alex Leatherwood to the Raiders in the 1st Round. 

2nd Round: S Trevon Moehrig:

Grade: A

Tremendous value, tremendous player. 

3rd Round Round: EDGE Malcolm Koonce

Grade: C+

Solid depth for the EDGE spot in the third round. Replaces Arden Key. Not the greatest value, but not too bad either. 

3rd Round: LB/S Divine Deablo

Grade: B

Don't think he starts but could push for a job. Excellent LB depth and even Safety depth. However, if he's a LB, why not draft Cox who is excellent in coverage and much better pure LB? Makes no sense. Regardless, I like Deablo a lot. 

4th Round: S Tyree Gillespie

Grade: B+

Hard to not like Gillespie and he's solid depth at both Safety spots, especially SS. If Abram doesn't get his act together, could push him for that job. 

5th Round: CB Nate Hobbs

Grade: A-

I like Hobbs, he is solid CB depth and good scheme fit for Bradley. No, he's not a starter. 5th-7th Rounds you are trying to fill out depth. 

7th Round: C Jimmy Morrissey

Grade: B+

Solid depth in the interior line, something we desperately need. 

Overall GradeC+

Pretty generous draft grade though. Someone could easily give this draft a C- or C. 

41 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

His excuse is he's a "plug and play player" ...

If you don't care about value, you will not win a championship. If Leatherwood turns out a solid player cool, however, they still didn't maximize their value. Could of picked someone like Farley at 17, or a number of other players, and selected Leatherwood with a trade up in the 2nd. Would he have been there at 48? Probably not. Would he have been there at 40-43? More than likely. Although, I can't guarantee.

They are the only team in the NFL that could care less about value, and they have admitted it several times.