Recapping the 2021 Draft (Post-Draft Talk)

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

That is if they're wrong. If they're right it's a genius move. 

Not really though, we could've waited until camp and the first few weeks of the season before making a decision. He'd have to play at an All-Pro level in order for them to look like geniuses. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Not really though, we could've waited until camp and the first few weeks of the season before making a decision. He'd have to play at an All-Pro level in order for them to look like geniuses. 

How? He's getting paid 3 million a year(to give some perspective that's how much Jeff heath was scheduled to make this year before we cut him). That means..

If he's a starter that's a starter getting paid for 3 million a year.

If he is a pro bowler that's a pro bowler getting paid 3 million a year.

If he's an all pro that's an all pro getting paid 3 million a year.

If he's a scrub he gets paid 3 million for one year and then the next year you can cut him. 

8 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

How? He's getting paid 3 million a year(to give some perspective that's how much Jeff heath was scheduled to make this year before we cut him). That means..

If he's a starter that's a starter getting paid for 3 million a year.

If he is a pro bowler that's a pro bowler getting paid 3 million a year.

If he's an all pro that's an all pro getting paid 3 million a year.

If he's a scrub he gets paid 3 million for one year and then the next year you can cut him. 

Why give him a pay raise this year when he has 1 start under his belt? It was a panic move made by Gruden to try and soften the blow of Hudson demanding his way out. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Which is fine but the extension still makes zero sense. 

Only thing I can think of (and I’m reaching) is that they’re looking at the CBA for next year and the year after. Supposedly because of the television contract, new player contracts are supposedly to skyrocket exponentially. 

figure a small pay raise now is worth the gamble. If he succeeds and then they have to extend him, they’re looking at a much larger contract.

Guessing same rationale for Miller.

Again, I’m reaching for an explanation...

Edited by 101Raider

Just now, 101Raider said:

Only thing I can think of (and I’m reaching) is that they’re looking at the CBA for next year and the year after. Supposedly because of the television contract, new player contracts are supposedly to skyrocket exponentially. 

They had no plan on James starting or being extended until Hudson abruptly demanded a trade. 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They had no plan on James starting or being extended until Hudson abruptly demanded a trade. 

Of course, that’s fairly obvious. 

I’m only guessing that after the trade, they decided to extend him before the the CBA increased.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Why give him a pay raise this year when he has 1 start under his belt? It was a panic move made by Gruden to try and soften the blow of Hudson demanding his way out. 

I don't see it as a panic move at all. I see it is a gamble to pay someone that you think might be good to a lower deal and he would've gone if he had proven himself more over the trajectory of a whole season

Now obviously if he doesn't play good the F/O has to answer for that 3M but if he does play good the deal turns out to be a steal

No matter which way anyone chooses to look at it, from a financial standpoint it's low risk high reward

10 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Caleb Farley had back surgery and still win the first round

Probably depends on what the kind of heart issue.  Paye had one also where his troponin levels where elevated from a workout.

10 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Caleb Farley had back surgery and still win the first round

Guys with heart issues always fall at least one full round. Heck, Hurst went from a Early-Mid 2nd Round lock to a 5th Round selection. Sweat went from a Top 6 lock to pick #24. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Guys with heart issues always fall at least one full round. Heck, Hurst went from a Early-Mid 2nd Round lock to a 5th Round selection. Sweat went from a Top 6 lock to pick #24. 

Hurst was never cleared by anyone but us. Sweatt still went in the first round. JOK was cleared and went in the second round

5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Hurst was never cleared by anyone but us. Sweatt still went in the first round. JOK was cleared and went in the second round

Sweat fell 20 picks from his projected Top 6 selection. JOK was projected to go 19-25 and fell about 20-25 spots