Jump to content

Round 6, Pick 41: Washington Selects Camaron Cheeseman, LS, Michigan


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/camaron-cheeseman/32004348-4518-9637-63dc-9c9dc3dbe3b2
 

“Cheeseman was a top-10 long-snapper prospect nationally out of New Albany, Ohio, when he left to play for the state's main college football rival in 2016. After a redshirt year, he snapped for extra points and field goals the following season, except for one contest where he also snapped on punts. Cheeseman took over full-time duties the following two seasons, making one coverage tackle in 2019. He opted out of the 2020 season accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter”

2020 opt-out with three years of handling snapping duties for the Wolverines. Cheeseman improved from 2018 to 2019 as a kick snapper with consistent accuracy but teams will likely have concerns about his inaccuracies with long-snapping over the last couple of seasons.
Strengths
  • Three-year long and short snapper.
  • Consistent placement on field goals and extra point snaps.
  • Gets snaps off without much of a hitch.

 

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Wtf is a top 10 LS prospect?

No idea why this is even a thing. TE's are LS's. Hey lets pay a guy a 625K salary to snap a ball without blocking at max 15 yards. That is the complexity of his job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

LS deserve their own top 10. They’re people too. 

No they are not. They are ST's players who have a single job. A waste of a pick which could have been an UDFA. PERIOD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

One that’s 84.7 percent accurate at long snapping 

The fact that there are metrics for a LS, is how rediculous analytics can be. It's called overanalysis and is there such a thing as a strike zone for LS's for their accuracy target? 

Waste of a pick that could have been signed as a FA or, idk, make a TE learn the position? Maybe a back up LB that could also be on kick off coverage?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghostnote said:

The fact that there are metrics for a LS, is how rediculous analytics can be. It's called overanalysis and is there such a thing as a strike zone for LS's for their accuracy target? 

Waste of a pick that could have been signed as a FA or, idk, make a TE learn the position? Maybe a back up LB that could also be on kick off coverage?

It’s not a waste IMO. We picked a guy who will probably be on our team for 12-15 years. You can’t say that about almost every 6th round pick save Tom Brady

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It’s not a waste IMO. We picked a guy who will probably be on our team for 12-15 years. You can’t say that about almost every 6th round pick save Tom Brady

Right, cause they don't have any other thing to do in practice. 

There is a good study which Stathead did to identify the retention of kickers drafted and those undrafted, and I clump these all cause of ST's players in general. Their job is not difficult and was once done by TE's and back up C's. 

The position was created in 1971 by none other than George Allen. But drafting a player who does nothing but snap a ball, is something you could have back up TE's do in practice when the first team is on the field. 

It's a replaceable position. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ghostnote said:

Right, cause they don't have any other thing to do in practice. 

There is a good study which Stathead did to identify the retention of kickers drafted and those undrafted, and I clump these all cause of ST's players in general. Their job is not difficult and was once done by TE's and back up C's. 

The position was created in 1971 by none other than George Allen. But drafting a player who does nothing but snap a ball, is something you could have back up TE's do in practice when the first team is on the field. 

It's a replaceable position. 

Oh I get it but I think finding a good one as a late round pick also has value. To me 6th, 7th round & UDFAs are all one in the same. Once you get to that point in the draft there is very little separating the drafted players from those who end up going as UDFA’s.

I mean it shows out every year, how many UDFA’s work out while a lot of 6th & 7th rounders don’t even make the team? Tons 

Here’s one way to view it:

If we had drafted Jaret Patterson in the 6th and then had just signed Camaron Cheesman as an UDFA I’d feel Patterson was worth that 6th round pick and I’d feel exactly the same way as I do now about each pick up.

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh I get it but I think finding a good one as a late round pick also has value. To me 6th, 7th round & UDFAs are all one in the same. Once you get to that point in the draft there is very little separating the drafted players from those who end up going as UDFA’s.

I mean it shows out every year, how many UDFA’s work out while a lot of 6th & 7th rounders don’t even make the team? Tons 

Here’s one way to view it:

If we had drafted Jaret Patterson in the 6th and then had just signed Camaron Cheesman as an UDFA I’d feel Patterson was worth that 6th round pick and I’d feel exactly the same way as I do now about each pick up.

I would feel opposite, cause we know that we need Cheesehead, but at least we have a potential for a better prospect than a LS. Patterson could play more than just a single position. ST's, 3rd down back, etc. Or another TE because Bates is primarily an inline blocker, which is needed, but having another receiving TE option would be great. But instead, we drafted a LS and we TRADED UP to get him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Ghostnote said:

I would feel opposite, cause we know that we need Cheesehead, but at least we have a potential for a better prospect than a LS. Patterson could play more than just a single position. ST's, 3rd down back, etc. Or another TE because Bates is primarily an inline blocker, which is needed, but having another receiving TE option would be great. But instead, we drafted a LS and we TRADED UP to get him. 

That’s true. We definitely could’ve went with another one of those good Sr Bowl TEs but I think they obviously like Bates’s potential to be their blocking TE & they like Sammis Reyes’s potential to be a developmental mismatch TE in the middle of the field. I hope they sign a vet to be our #2 TE. Tyler Eifert, Trey Burton & Jesse James are still available.

We could’ve taken but then again, aren’t all these guys below available as UDFAs? We could sign them now.

Tony Poljan - Ravens UDFA

Quintin Morris - Bills UDFA

Kenny Yeboah - Jets UDFA

Cary Angeline - Cardinals UDFA

Nick Eubanks - ugh 🤦‍♂️ He signed as an UDFA w/ Dallas

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ghostnote said:

No they are not. They are ST's players who have a single job. A waste of a pick which could have been an UDFA. PERIOD. 

Wow! It was a joke. It’s nice to care about your team but to get All wound up over a 6th rd pick. Especially when there are no LS on the roster and one was just picked 3 spots before us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...