Round 7: Pick 256; Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi State

59 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

this.  there are two types of 7th rounders

1)  A guy who inexplicably fell who could have easily been chosen day 2 (it happens)

2)  A priority UDFA who you dont think you could get to Green Bay any other way

I think Kylin is both of those things

Drafts usually aren't that deep that option 1 shows up in the 7th round.  Draft boards are usually 150-175 players deep, and it's been rumored that the Hoodie's draft board is less than 100 players.  When you see guys that are Day 2 picks, they're likely off the board because of medical concerns or character questions.  Just because a team takes a gamble on them in R6 and R7 doesn't mean they were necessarily on their respective teams' board.  At some point, you throw a crap at the wall and see what sticks.  Nobody is going to blink if you cut a 6th round draft pick prior to TC.  But if you cut a 3rd round pick prior to camp, there's a LOT of head scratching.  I mean, the Raiders drafted Lynn Bowden 80th overall and just over four months later he was dealt to Miami along with a 6th round pick for a 4th round pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

7th is a great time to grab a “top udfa” who may not want to come to GB, either because they don’t see it as a preferred destination or don’t like the competition in their position room, and see if you can find a gem. I’m always overly excited about the new recruits but this guy could be a steal. 

1 hour ago, HeresAGuy said:

this.  there are two types of 7th rounders

1)  A guy who inexplicably fell who could have easily been chosen day 2 (it happens)

2)  A priority UDFA who you dont think you could get to Green Bay any other way

I think Kylin is both of those things

I agree with both here. My only reservation is the fact that we've really stacked the RB room between Hill, D. Williams, Patrick Taylor(who was very draftable but had to share a backfield for a mid-level, non-power 5 team), and Mike Weber who screams ST/RB3. My bet is on Taylor based on skillset but wouldn't be surprised if Hill beat him in camp; I think D. Williams gets cut this year and Weber's a camp body...

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I agree with both here. My only reservation is the fact that we've really stacked the RB room between Hill, D. Williams, Patrick Taylor(who was very draftable but had to share a backfield for a mid-level, non-power 5 team), and Mike Weber who screams ST/RB3. My bet is on Taylor based on skillset but wouldn't be surprised if Hill beat him in camp; I think D. Williams gets cut this year and Weber's a camp body...

We definitely want at least one on the PS and 4 on the roster isn’t impossible depending on FB/TE/WR and guys who play more than one of those roles like DeGuara, Dafney or even Funchess as a bruiser at WR. No matter what, you know RBs take hits and you need to budget for guys taking a hopefully short leave for injury. If QB1 would get settled, this could be a very interesting year to see what a fully developed LaFleur offense can do. 

On 5/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, beekay414 said:

My "favorite" part of reading his draft stuff is the part where he doesn't have an "extra gear" so he's not a HR threat. I'm like "WTF are you watching? He may not be electric but that man can house the ball."

On that highlight reel from 2:20-3 he had a bunch of runs and catches where he gets into the open field....his long speed isn't eye-popping but he looked plenty fast enough. Also showed the positives from that draft write up - darn good receiver, not afraid to stick his nose in there, good vision and lateral quicks. I like him! 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:20 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

On that highlight reel from 2:20-3 he had a bunch of runs and catches where he gets into the open field....his long speed isn't eye-popping but he looked plenty fast enough. Also showed the positives from that draft write up - darn good receiver, not afraid to stick his nose in there, good vision and lateral quicks. I like him! 

Aaron Jones was that way coming out and he found an extra gear during his rookie year. I suspect Hill will have the same experience. I think he's a great cross between Jones and Dillon size wise and probably would've been selected earlier had this draft been not so deep at OL and CB.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, CWood21 said:

Drafts usually aren't that deep that option 1 shows up in the 7th round.  Draft boards are usually 150-175 players deep, and it's been rumored that the Hoodie's draft board is less than 100 players.  When you see guys that are Day 2 picks, they're likely off the board because of medical concerns or character questions.  Just because a team takes a gamble on them in R6 and R7 doesn't mean they were necessarily on their respective teams' board.  At some point, you throw a crap at the wall and see what sticks.  Nobody is going to blink if you cut a 6th round draft pick prior to TC.  But if you cut a 3rd round pick prior to camp, there's a LOT of head scratching.  I mean, the Raiders drafted Lynn Bowden 80th overall and just over four months later he was dealt to Miami along with a 6th round pick for a 4th round pick.

As far as “clean” prospects (production, athletic ability, health, size, coach ability) the further you go down, the less you have with round 4 being the big drop off where you really are taking athletes with little production/iq  or guys who aren’t nfl athletes.

As far as Hill, I see a lot of Dujuan  Harris. Not big/fast enough to be a key ster. Could crack a rotation but might get cut.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

As far as “clean” prospects (production, athletic ability, health, size, coach ability) the further you go down, the less you have with round 4 being the big drop off where you really are taking athletes with little production/iq  or guys who aren’t nfl athletes.

As far as Hill, I see a lot of Dujuan  Harris. Not big/fast enough to be a key ster. Could crack a rotation but might get cut.

If Harris played with half Hill’s physicality and balance he’s still in the league.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I get the DuJuan Harris comparison, but Hill is 15-20 heavier. How about a Super-sized DuJuan Harris. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

If Harris played with half Hill’s physicality and balance he’s still in the league.

Yeah, but can Hill explain all the different options on interiors and get you the best price on a used Jeep?

• Like 1

I hope I'm not proven wrong, but Hill has shown enough skills to be a RB3 except for pass blocking/blitz pickup. That would be the only thing that gets Hill cut if he doesn't improve there. But this is the same issue for almost every rookie RB. Certainly was the case for Aaron Jones coming in and he developed that. 

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

I hope I'm not proven wrong, but Hill has shown enough skills to be a RB3 except for pass blocking/blitz pickup. That would be the only thing that gets Hill cut if he doesn't improve there. But this is the same issue for almost every rookie RB. Certainly was the case for Aaron Jones coming in and he developed that. 

I'm not saying that pass blocking isn't important in a running back.

But I am going to say that it was far more important in the Mac offense.  He didn't help tackles, usually ran deeper routes and they were "read on the fly" routes.

Things are much different under MLF.  RB's still have to pass protect, no doubt, but not to the extent that I feel they had to under Mac.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not saying that pass blocking isn't important in a running back.

But I am going to say that it was far more important in the Mac offense.  He didn't help tackles, usually ran deeper routes and they were "read on the fly" routes.

Things are much different under MLF.  RB's still have to pass protect, no doubt, but not to the extent that I feel they had to under Mac.

Agreed. I'm just speaking to the unlikely possibility he doesn't make the team and what reason that could possibly be. I think he was a steal in the 7th round. Why did he last that long? The only other thing I read is that he had some disagreement with coaches, though I don't think it is something to worry about.