2021 UDFA Class

26 minutes ago, R T said:

I'm becoming curious with who the Packers are going to add as camp QB(s). Was sure they would sign 1 or 2 as UDFA's but that is yet to happen and the pickings have gotten very slim with Jamie Newman, Shane Buechele, Feleipe Franks, Payton Ramsey and Collin Hill all signing with other teams after the draft. We could see the Packers bring in a couple of guys on a tryout basis just to get through rookie minicamp, but some of those types are getting scooped up also. I see today that KJ Costello has a tryout with the Chargers, Zach Smith with the Bills, Brady White with the Titans and Kevin Thomson with the Panthers. Who is still available that we might see next weekend?

If the Packers do move on from Rodgers, than a veteran like Nick Mullens or even a trade for someone like Gardner Minshew would make some sense, but I don't see a veteran until we have a clear picture of the Rodgers situation.  

The fact that they haven’t added one yet does make it more interesting with the Rodgers drama. I still believe he will be here this year but if not, we should be getting another QB back from the teams we would trade to. No matter what, you’d think we would at least get a camp arm squared away to be able to run drills with the 3rd unit etc.  

1 hour ago, R T said:

With rookie minicamp starting tomorrow I thought we might see a list of tryout players today. Wonder if the setup is different this year with only classroom meeting and no on the field?

You get 5 tryout players this year, that's it. 2 of them are Benkert and Kelly. We have 3 open spots.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You get 5 tryout players this year, that's it. 2 of them are Benkert and Kelly. We have 3 open spots.

Gutey mentioned that in his presser. Last year and this year are terrible for fringe guys just trying to get an audition. The other side of that coin, PS guys could get called up and get a live action tryout without having to commit right away to a contract last year. Theoretically that could benefit them if they can seize the opportunity. I hope they keep that going and a more flexible IR this year. 

With the increased PS sizes the Packers brought in several tryout guys every week, sometimes resulting in a PS contract.

Some actually ended up being game day actives for a game or two.

So undrafted players do not need to fret too much, they will get plenty of tryout opportunities in the NFL over the course of the season.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Christian Uphoff looks big.  Holding off judgement until I can see him in preseason, but the guy is a big safety.

Seems just a bit stiff and limited as an athlete to play the speed game. Closer to the line and covering bigger TEs he could probably offer help. Hopefully his instincts are strong if he plays that S/LB role. He should get some action on D and ST in the preseason. 

"Christian Uphoff looks big. "   For scale.  https://fb.watch/5v402zZIjW/. Uphoff is #40, the last guy out at 10 seconds.  He looks very solid to me, good frame.  If you compare him to Stokes, who came out early (2-3 sec), night-and-day difference in frame.  Patrick Taylor is out at 4-5 seconds.  On Packers website Turner lists at 217, where Uphoff lists at 209.  But to my glance Uphoff, who is an inch taller, also seems as big or bigger.   

Definitely has the size and length to cover TE's.  Very interesting developmental prospect.  Definitely has the frame and speed that ST coaches like.  And did some kick-returning in college, so might eventually be a depth option for that, too.  Not sure if their is a ton of competition for PS at his spot; he'd seem to have a pretty direct opportunity to land a spot on the practice-squad I'd think. 

3 minutes ago, craig said:

"Christian Uphoff looks big. "   For scale.  https://fb.watch/5v402zZIjW/. Uphoff is #40, the last guy out at 10 seconds.  He looks very solid to me, good frame.  If you compare him to Stokes, who came out early (2-3 sec), night-and-day difference in frame.  Patrick Taylor is out at 4-5 seconds.  On Packers website Turner lists at 217, where Uphoff lists at 209.  But to my glance Uphoff, who is an inch taller, also seems as big or bigger.   

Definitely has the size and length to cover TE's.  Very interesting developmental prospect.  Definitely has the frame and speed that ST coaches like.  And did some kick-returning in college, so might eventually be a depth option for that, too.  Not sure if their is a ton of competition for PS at his spot; he'd seem to have a pretty direct opportunity to land a spot on the practice-squad I'd think. 

Chance to be the Raven Greene type replacement, who as you noted could backup KO returns in a pinch. Has a chance to make the 53 because the depth spots there seem open for the taking.  

Haven't seen much talk on here about Coy Cronk. He's an interesting prospect. True OT who looked like he was on his way to becoming a pretty solid player at IU (40 starts, mostly at LT), until he suffered that ankle injury in 2019. He hasn't played football in 2 years, but if he's healthy, he could have a legit shot for a backup OT spot. Good length (+34in arms). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Haven't seen much talk on here about Coy Cronk. He's an interesting prospect. True OT who looked like he was on his way to becoming a pretty solid player at IU (40 starts, mostly at LT), until he suffered that ankle injury in 2019. He hasn't played football in 2 years, but if he's healthy, he could have a legit shot for a backup OT spot. Good length (+34in arms). 

He did play 2 games last year. The big question with him, is his ankle permanently damaged? If he is finally healthy he may have a shot to unseat Nijman as the developmental swing tackle if Nijman has not taken that next step. 

Get to Know Packers Undrafted Free Agent OT Coy Cronk - Sports Illustrated Green Bay Packers News, Analysis and More

Edited by R T

7 minutes ago, craig said:

I haven't seen an exact age for Gaither yet, but he must be 24-ish.  Was a redshirt freshman in 2015, and lost a year to injury besides, so he's a 6-year college guy.  

I see places where he is listed at 24YO, but don't see a actual DOB. He was a grad student at San Jose State this past school year. Might of had something to do with not getting drafted.