2021 UDFA Class

Practice squad will be 12 this year, bigger than what it was two years ago, less big than it will be next year (2022 it will be 14), and less big than it was during the Covid season (16).  

So as MM would have said, he didn't focus so much on the 53-man roster but more on the 65-man roster.  Starting with a 90-man roster, that's really only 25 guys to get down to the 65.  Some of those 25 will be injury list, not healthy release. 

So probably less than 20 guys who will be healthy releases.  

There aren't all that many WR in camp, so Gaither certainly has at least an opportunity to make the 65.  

For WR, there are the obvious 5 (Adams, Amari, Lazard, MVS, Funchess); EQ/Malik Taylor/Begelton have all been in the program for at least 3 years; and then Gaither, Chris Blair, and Juwann Winfree.  Of those 11, Gaither is the lightest at 188, Blair listing at 198 the only other <200.  

With all the expiring contracts, maybe Gute will be more inclined to keep development WR on PS?  Otherwise, I'm not sure this crowd seems as intriguing as some others they've had in past.  

I also wonder how MLF and Gute feel about been-around guys like EQ, Begelton, and Malik?  Maybe they are preferred, because they're experienced, developed, know the system and could be plug-and-play ready?  Or maybe after ≥3 years, *if* they've not improved enough to be good now, the development window closes and you'd rather give developmental opportunity to guy(s) from the Gather/Blair/Winfree pool?  

RT, you've mentioned that it's helpful to assume that pretty much every guy on the roster is envisioned as a player who might develop into a starter or significant-snaps guy in time.  I agree with that, but tend to think that if a guy isn't ready by year 3, teams tend to turn that developmental spot over to a new might-develop guy. I'd kinda guess that there'd be at most 8 WR on the 65, if that; so probably 3 if not 4 from the EQ-Taylor-Begelton-Gaither-Blair-Winfree pool will need to get cut.  

At only 188, Gaither might not seem to have blocking or ST in his favor.  He might need to decisively out-receive the others to stick on the 65.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Haven't seen much talk on here about Coy Cronk. He's an interesting prospect. True OT who looked like he was on his way to becoming a pretty solid player at IU (40 starts, mostly at LT), until he suffered that ankle injury in 2019. He hasn't played football in 2 years, but if he's healthy, he could have a legit shot for a backup OT spot. Good length (+34in arms). 

He and Uphoff are the two with most promise as it sits the way I see it.  I have had my eye on him.  Now to watch one rise from the ashes, one we didn't expect...

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, craig said:

Practice squad will be 12 this year, bigger than what it was two years ago, less big than it will be next year (2022 it will be 14), and less big than it was during the Covid season (16).  

So as MM would have said, he didn't focus so much on the 53-man roster but more on the 65-man roster.  Starting with a 90-man roster, that's really only 25 guys to get down to the 65.  Some of those 25 will be injury list, not healthy release. 

So probably less than 20 guys who will be healthy releases.  

There aren't all that many WR in camp, so Gaither certainly has at least an opportunity to make the 65.  

For WR, there are the obvious 5 (Adams, Amari, Lazard, MVS, Funchess); EQ/Malik Taylor/Begelton have all been in the program for at least 3 years; and then Gaither, Chris Blair, and Juwann Winfree.  Of those 11, Gaither is the lightest at 188, Blair listing at 198 the only other <200.  

With all the expiring contracts, maybe Gute will be more inclined to keep development WR on PS?  Otherwise, I'm not sure this crowd seems as intriguing as some others they've had in past.  

I also wonder how MLF and Gute feel about been-around guys like EQ, Begelton, and Malik?  Maybe they are preferred, because they're experienced, developed, know the system and could be plug-and-play ready?  Or maybe after ≥3 years, *if* they've not improved enough to be good now, the development window closes and you'd rather give developmental opportunity to guy(s) from the Gather/Blair/Winfree pool?  

RT, you've mentioned that it's helpful to assume that pretty much every guy on the roster is envisioned as a player who might develop into a starter or significant-snaps guy in time.  I agree with that, but tend to think that if a guy isn't ready by year 3, teams tend to turn that developmental spot over to a new might-develop guy. I'd kinda guess that there'd be at most 8 WR on the 65, if that; so probably 3 if not 4 from the EQ-Taylor-Begelton-Gaither-Blair-Winfree pool will need to get cut.  

At only 188, Gaither might not seem to have blocking or ST in his favor.  He might need to decisively out-receive the others to stick on the 65.  

Very good breakdown craig. Only thing I'm not on board with is that Funchess is part of the obvious 5. I think he is 50-50 to make the 53 and if he is not on the 53 he will not be around. 

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

He and Uphoff are the two with most promise as it sits the way I see it.  I have had my eye on him.  Now to watch one rise from the ashes, one we didn't expect...

Agreed. I think Uphoff can essentially be Greene's replacement. We discussed awhile ago how finding that SPUR position was a very small moving target to which we had mediocre success with Raven Greene(mainly because Greene couldn't stay healthy); I think Uphoff can be a step up provided he too can stay healthy. Same goes with Cronk and quite frankly I'd stash him on an IR list of sorts if he shows any promise in TC given his injury history. 

As for your one that rises from the ashes, I'm thinking Zach Johnson out of last year's class as he can kick out to RT if need be. They've been working him in at Guard, but he's a very similar athlete to that of Royce Newman. 

First it was Moneybacker, then it was called Star and now I've come across a new phrase....Spur.

I never liked any of those phrases. If I had it my way I would call it the Cheetah position. Big & strong enough to bring down large prey and fast enough to chase. 😄

Anyway Uphoff fits the profile perfectly. He's a nice athletic v-cut dude who says is capable of running 4.4 and is tall enough to cope with TEs. I'm not sure what he's like in run defence but on paper he should be able to handle it. The fact he can do kick returns speaks to his athleticism and speed. He is a very intriguing UDFA prospect and i'm looking forward to see what he can do for us.

f7555276a0f14666af268d1989478ae5-e161991

We tried with Josh Jones who was unwilling to do the dirty LB work and Oren Burks who lacked the instincts. We settled on Greene and whilst he was mentally up to the task his body was too small to hold up. It's a demanding position. So here's to hoping Uphoff succeeds. He will have plenty of competition with Wilburn, Gaines, Black and Scott.

18 minutes ago, Chili said:

First it was Moneybacker, then it was called Star and now I've come across a new phrase....Spur.

I never liked any of those phrases. If I had it my way I would call it the Cheetah position. Big & strong enough to bring down large prey and fast enough to chase. 😄

Anyway Uphoff fits the profile perfectly. He's a nice athletic v-cut dude who says is capable of running 4.4 and is tall enough to cope with TEs. I'm not sure what he's like in run defence but on paper he should be able to handle it. The fact he can do kick returns speaks to his athleticism and speed. He is a very intriguing UDFA prospect and i'm looking forward to see what he can do for us.

f7555276a0f14666af268d1989478ae5-e161991

We tried with Josh Jones who was unwilling to do the dirty LB work and Oren Burks who lacked the instincts. We settled on Greene and whilst he was mentally up to the task his body was too small to hold up. It's a demanding position. So here's to hoping Uphoff succeeds. He will have plenty of competition with Wilburn, Gaines, Black and Scott.

I most say sorry in advance, but a cheetah is not big and strong enough to bring down large prey. I just couldn't get past that comment. 

Edited by R T

24 minutes ago, R T said:

I most say sorry in advance, but a cheetah is not big and strong enough to bring down large prey. I just couldn't get past that comment. 

Yeah, you're kinda right Cheetah can take down baby Gazelles and Wildebeests but for larger animals they would have to work as a team.

What other animal would you suggest and I demand a video example too. 😄

54 minutes ago, Chili said:

Cheetah's aren't strong, they are relatively fragile.....so

Wolf.

Good name, fits the description and a nod to a former Packers GM.