The Chiefs so far

Zayne Anderson, LB, BYU
Dicaprio Bootle, CB, Nebraska
Marlon Character, Jr., DB, Louisville
Shane Buechele, QB, SMU
Riley Cole, LB, South Alabama
Malik Herring, DE, Georgia
Devon Key, S, Western Kentucky

Unlike last year, this group does not appear to be a big part of the planning. 

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs so far

Zayne Anderson, LB, BYU
Dicaprio Bootle, CB, Nebraska
Marlon Character, Jr., DB, Louisville
Shane Buechele, QB, SMU
Riley Cole, LB, South Alabama
Malik Herring, DE, Georgia
Devon Key, S, Western Kentucky

Unlike last year, this group does not appear to be a big part of the planning. 

J

Maybe but they stole Creed Humphrey in the draft and totally stole Trey Smith, 6th round pick?  Sure the medical stuff but on the field he is 2nd at worst 3rd round pick all day long.  And Noah Gray was a steal also, fine athlete with a lot of upside and ability to catch the football and make plays.  I bet Humphrey is a starter for them in a year or two.

Not to mention steal Orlando Brown Jr from the Ravens, still no idea why the Ravens let him go, dude can play.  In this UDFA group Cole has some ability, Herring is a big body on the DL and Bootle is a decent slot corner and Zayne Anderson is a poor mans Daniel Sorensen.  Similar size and playing style at least but doubt he has Sorensen's success.

The Ravens let OBJ go because they could not keep him and wanted to get something. He is in the last year of his rookie contract and would not have re-signed. it's something you see a lot in baseball, so there was a template of sorts. If you crunch the numbers, it works out #43-#45 depending on which chart. Here is the detail

Chiefs

Orlando Brown (last year of rookie contract)
#58 - Nick Bolton
2022 6th

Ravens

#31 - Odafe Oweh Edge Penn State
#94 - Ben Cleveland G Georgia
#136 - traded again
2022 5th

Last year it appears the team wanted to audition a lot of WR and find one or two to develop. Likewise fringe defensive players and ST contributors. Because of the COVID restrictions it never worked out, but several of the same group are back under futures contracts. 

I'm glad you think they had a nice draft. The only head scratcher for me was Kaindoh and he oozes raw potential.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but they stole Creed Humphrey in the draft and totally stole Trey Smith, 6th round pick?  Sure the medical stuff but on the field he is 2nd at worst 3rd round pick all day long.  And Noah Gray was a steal also, fine athlete with a lot of upside and ability to catch the football and make plays.  I bet Humphrey is a starter for them in a year or two.

Not to mention steal Orlando Brown Jr from the Ravens, still no idea why the Ravens let him go, dude can play.  In this UDFA group Cole has some ability, Herring is a big body on the DL and Bootle is a decent slot corner and Zayne Anderson is a poor mans Daniel Sorensen.  Similar size and playing style at least but doubt he has Sorensen's success.

See above

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very solid gets for them, Drake Jackson I was surprised he was not drafted, same with Tommy Kraemer both should have been picked.  Also the WRs they got are legit, Sage Surratt, Jonathan Adams Jr and McKinley all could make the team possibly and one could maybe even start.  The Boyd and Mills both are skilled players, long shot to make it but maybe the practice squad.  They had one of the best UDFA classes.

The Lions draft and UDFA haul should leave their fans feeling optimistic. Very, very good look for Campbell and crew.

41 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The Ravens let OBJ go because they could not keep him and wanted to get something. He is in the last year of his rookie contract and would not have re-signed. it's something you see a lot in baseball, so there was a template of sorts. If you crunch the numbers, it works out #43-#45 depending on which chart. Here is the detail

Chiefs

Orlando Brown (last year of rookie contract)
#58 - Nick Bolton
2022 6th

Ravens

#31 - Odafe Oweh Edge Penn State
#94 - Ben Cleveland G Georgia
#136 - traded again
2022 5th

Last year it appears the team wanted to audition a lot of WR and find one or two to develop. Likewise fringe defensive players and ST contributors. Because of the COVID restrictions it never worked out, but several of the same group are back under futures contracts. 

I'm glad you think they had a nice draft. The only head scratcher for me was Kaindoh and he oozes raw potential.

J

If the Ravens wanted to pay Orlando Brown Jr they could have, just seems pathetic the dude everyone made fun of after the combine, falls to the 3rd round, Ravens take a low risk pick on him at that point.  Then he plays great and plays in two pro bowls in three years and got paid little to nothing to do it compared to other pro bowl level players.  Then when it is time to get paid they trade him?  Pretty sad, sure Lamar Jackson's contract is coming up but I think they could have worked out something, instead they get rid of him and feel they can replace him easily, I doubt that.  They did not really address OT in the draft maybe will in the next few weeks, but I think they will miss Orlando Brown Jr more than they think.  He was an absolute force and a huge reason for that run games success and an identity point for the offense.  Without that I think something will be missing.  

I heard that he wanted to play LT, played a ton of snaps at LT when Stanley was out and did not give up a sack.  Wants to get paid like a LT as well but they did not want to give him that chance.  Just seems odd to let go of a talented young guy as if dudes like him grow on trees.  

I think the Ravens had a very good draft as well, will see if those edge rushers can produce, outside of Judon they have not had a successful edge rusher in awhile.

Maybe Orlando Brown Jr was really that upset but hell they could have at least kept him for this season, and honestly not sure the Ravens got that much out of the deal anyway.  Bateman was a good pickup and Oweh has potential but not like they got multiple 1st rounders for him or something.  For a team that wants to run the football get rid of one of the most powerful run blockers in the game, seems odd.  Trent Brown is back on the Patriots because they want to get back to even more smash mouth football, hard to do without a mountain at OT.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

If the Ravens wanted to pay Orlando Brown Jr they could have, just seems pathetic the dude everyone made fun of after the combine, falls to the 3rd round, Ravens take a low risk pick on him at that point.  Then he plays great and plays in two pro bowls in three years and got paid little to nothing to do it compared to other pro bowl level players.  Then when it is time to get paid they trade him?  Pretty sad, sure Lamar Jackson's contract is coming up but I think they could have worked out something, instead they get rid of him and feel they can replace him easily, I doubt that.  They did not really address OT in the draft maybe will in the next few weeks, but I think they will miss Orlando Brown Jr more than they think.  He was an absolute force and a huge reason for that run games success and an identity point for the offense.  Without that I think something will be missing.  

I heard that he wanted to play LT, played a ton of snaps at LT when Stanley was out and did not give up a sack.  Wants to get paid like a LT as well but they did not want to give him that chance.  Just seems odd to let go of a talented young guy as if dudes like him grow on trees.  

I think the Ravens had a very good draft as well, will see if those edge rushers can produce, outside of Judon they have not had a successful edge rusher in awhile.

Maybe Orlando Brown Jr was really that upset but hell they could have at least kept him for this season, and honestly not sure the Ravens got that much out of the deal anyway.  Bateman was a good pickup and Oweh has potential but not like they got multiple 1st rounders for him or something.  For a team that wants to run the football get rid of one of the most powerful run blockers in the game, seems odd.  Trent Brown is back on the Patriots because they want to get back to even more smash mouth football, hard to do without a mountain at OT.

Wanted to play LT is not strong enough. It was a deal breaker if he couldn't get it.

The Ravens have a LT and they could not force more than one season and a tag year, which comes with a lot of blowback. In OBJ's case, motivation is difficult enough in the best of circumstances, witness his Combine. This way they get an extra first round pick and save his cap money. It's not like they have no options at RT, since Tyre Phillips started eight games as a rookie. Perhaps the staff thought Phillips is ready to go full time, and now they also have Oweh and Brown's cap money. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Wanted to play LT is not strong enough. It was a deal breaker if he couldn't get it.

The Ravens have a LT and they could not force more than one season and a tag year, which comes with a lot of blowback. In OBJ's case, motivation is difficult enough in the best of circumstances, witness his Combine. This way they get an extra first round pick and save his cap money. It's not like they have no options at RT, since Tyre Phillips started eight games as a rookie. Perhaps the staff thought Phillips is ready to go full time, and now they also have Oweh and Brown's cap money. 

Ok not strong enough?  What are you talking about?  For one Orlando Brown Jr last year at LT as a starter in 389 pass blocking snaps did not allow a sack or a QB hit.  That is pretty damn good so why should he not want to get paid like a LT?

Tyre Phillips sucked at guard for them last year I thought and totally sucked at the Senior bowl and I was surprised he was drafted honestly, and if he cannot even hack it at guard, what says he can as a tackle?  If their plan is start Tyre Phillips and pretend he will be Orlando Brown Jr, that is flat out ridiculous.  Think Phillips will be a Pro bowl level OT the next two seasons, um no thus it is a massive downgrade unless they can sign Villanueva from the Steelers.  Zeitler is an upgrade at guard, maybe Ben Cleveland can come in and start and Bozeman move to center but not sure that happens, the C spot is pretty weak also, not a huge Mekari fan.  

Either way their OL is much worse this year without Orlando Brown Jr and I think their run game will be greatly affected by it.  Maybe they get a FA guy to fill that RT void but if they are depending on Phillips they will be disappointed I feel.  PS Stanley does have an injury history and last year was not the first time he got hurt, so there is that as well.

Still Chiefs got a steal, granted maybe they will not be able to sign Orlando Brown Jr long term but usually seem to work things out.

• Like 1

Steelers

WR Rico Bussey Jr.

WR Isaiah McKoy

LB Calvin Bundage

LB Jamar Watson

CB Shakur Brown

CB Mark Gilbert

S Donovan Stiner

S Lamont Wade

They are also in the running for Mac McCain CB who, as I understand it, has an offer from Denver and Pittsburgh and is deciding.

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

Steelers

WR Rico Bussey Jr.

WR Isaiah McKoy

LB Calvin Bundage

LB Jamar Watson

CB Shakur Brown

CB Mark Gilbert

S Donovan Stiner

S Lamont Wade

They are also in the running for Mac McCain CB who, as I understand it, has an offer from Denver and Pittsburgh and is deciding.

Is not the wow athlete his teammate Jamin is but Jamar Watson was more consistent over four years at Kentucky and was productive year in and year out.  2 sacks, 5 sacks, 6.5 sacks, 5 sacks and a forced fumble or two every year.  He did not work out well or run well so fell, but dude can play and get after the QB and is a versatile LB.  28.5 TFLS in four years and 18.5 sacks, good get for them.  Roche was a steal and will be a solid pass rusher for them but my guess is Watson will get in the mix no question about it.  And Buddy Johnson is an upgrade athletically than Vince Williams potentially.  

RB Nate McCrary, Saginaw State
WR Donte Sylencieux, Graceland
OG Sam Cooper, Merrimack
OT Adrian Ealy, Oklahoma
OT Foster Sarell, Stanford
TE Tony Poljan, Virginia
DT Xavier Kelly, Arkansas
LB Blake Gallagher, Northwestern
S Ar’Darius Washington, TCU

Very good class for the Ravens, I could see Adrian Ealy potentially being a better RT than Tyre Phillips potentially down the road.  Ealy should have been drafted, he is talented.  Poljan I could also see developing into a player who seems some time at TE.  And Gallagher absolutely could be a player for them at ILB and make the roster with some work, not to mention Washington who is a very talented safety at a need position, small kid but makes a ton of plays.  

Bears did a great job in filling that 3/4 DE spot, Thomas Schaffer is a mountain and Dan Archibong is very athletic for his size also.  They should fit get into the defense developmentally.  CJ Marable is very versatile as a back who can catch the ball and run in between the tackles, and Charles Snowden has a ton of experience in a 3/4 defense and has crazy length at 6-7, with good coaching could be an awesome 3/4 OLB.

Still hard to beat what Detroit and the Saints did, both very deep classes.  

• 2 weeks later...

A lotta players went in drafted that I thought might go in the 3rd or 4th rounds or at least a later round for sure and I even thought Dylan Moses had a chance to go in the 2nd round. Marvin Wilson, Drake Jackson, Robert Jones, Dylan Moses, Jonathan Adam’s jr. Tamorian Terry,Ar’darius Washington, Darius Stills, Javian Hawkins, Jarrett Patterson, Pooka Williams, Marlon Williams, Austin Watkins jr. Warren Jackson, Sage Surratt, Kenny Yeboah, Quintin Morris, Adrian Ealy, Charles Snowden, Hamilcar Rashed jr. Paddy Fisher, Tariq Thompson, Paris Ford. Did a lot of them have underlying health concerns that we didn’t know about or were they just straight up overhyped by media? Can anyone fill me in on the one s who did have health concerns or just give your take on why they didn’t get drafted? Lastly, one player I thought would go way higher than the round they were picked in was Davyion Nixon. I’m still scratching my head on how he lasted till the 5th round, reminds me of Curtis Weaver a couple years ago, was suppose to go 2nd or 3rd round but ended up going in the 5th.