49ers select RB Elijah Mitchell With the 194th Pick in the 6th round

J-ALL-DAY

33 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Never seen him. But a back that runs 4 3 gives him a shot to be another mostert

Yep, that's my thinking here. Mostert is a free agent at season's end and no way they extend him. Sermon and Mitchell are likely to be the potent 1-2 going forward.

Just watch his clips, dude just flies. Mostert 2.0.

I like that we got this kid, didnt know anything about him before hand but I do live in Lafayette about 10 minutes from the university.  Looking at his listed size of 5'11'' and weights 215 lb with that speed... could be a lot of fun to watch after he develops a little more.

• Like 1

The Pick: Elijah Mitchell, RB

Grade: A

Why: I’m not a fan of doubling up on RBs in the draft, but if you have to, Mitchell is a great guy to grab. I was a big fan of his pre-draft as a late round guy and is the closest thing to a pre-draft draft crush of any of our picks I had. His athletic profile is too good to pass up on with our scheme. Plenty of room to grow on passing downs.

2021 Impact: Slight to moderate

Why: I don’t see Mitchell having a huge impact unless he completely balls out in TC or injuries occur. He’s too good to sneak on the PS, so he will be on the roster as a 4th back most likely. We have a log jam, but these things work themselves out, so I'm not overly concerned about it.  

My Thoughts: His athletic profile is top-tier. Like, him and Mostert racing each other would be fun to watch. Like Mostert, Mitchell is a home run hitter and has modest pass-catching ability. It’s there, it’s just not a big part of his game yet. I think as he develops this part of his game, he will prove how great of a pick this was.

From what I saw, I like his hands and I think Bobby Turner is seeing a nice ball of clay to turn into a big-time threat out of the backfield. This is the kind of guy you take a chance on late and has all the ability to be an impact back in a year or two. 

What I Like:

• Home run hitting ability
  • Great scheme fit
  • Room to grow with pass catching ability
  • Pretty good ball security
  • Very dangerous with angles on defenders
  • Feels like a young Mostert
  • Like 1