Post Draft..thoughts?

John232

50 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Sermon's RAS score is 9.66. He's the 6th most athletic guy Lynch has drafted. I actually wanted to dive into RAS scores a little more here:

You're right. I was looking at the unofficial times. He had a huge drop in his 10 yard split from unofficial to official (1.61 to 1.49 is a monster correction) which pushed it up

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Sermon's RAS score is 9.66. He's the 6th most athletic guy Lynch has drafted. I actually wanted to dive into RAS scores a little more here:

• Since 2017, we've drafted 35 guys who have am RAS score.
    • Our average is 7.51, which means on average a guy we draft is 75% more athletic than everyone else at his position. 

• We've drafted 13 guys below our average
    • Jauan Jennings being the least athletic guy we've drafted since 2017 at 2.73. 

• Talanoa Hufanga is the least athletic guy we drafted this year at 5.77 but Kyle told him he was one of their favorite guys in the entire class. For an organization that prioritizes athleticism to say that to guy who is not overly athletic says a lot about him. The IQ stuff is most likely very legit.

• A little more context on Trey Sermon:
    • His 10 yard split is 98.6% better than any RB drafted since 1987
    • When you compare his 10 split to WR's, he's 98.8% better than any WR drafted since 1987

• Elijah Mitchell's RAS score of 9.5 is extremely impressive:
    • Speed: Elite - 40 yard - 99.0% / 20 yard - 99.9% / 10 yard - 97.0%
    • Explosion: Elite - Vert - 88.1% / Broad 96.2%
    • Agility: Good - Shuttle - 77.1% / 3-Cone - 80.1%

• Our current backfield:
    • Juice - 9.79
    • Sermon - 9.66
    • Mitchell - 9.50
    • Mostert - 9.37
    • Hasty - 6.71
    • Gallman - 6.28
    • Wilson - 5.45
    • Walter - 2.85

• Jaylon Moore is the most athletic OT Lynch has drafted - 7.49 RAS
    • If you switch him to guard, he's 8.76, which would make him the 13th most athletic guy Lynch has drafted.
    • I think he stays at OT until he proves he can't hang there.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Banks is a better athlete than you think when adjusting for size, but mostly average (elite verts, bad broads, elite cones, bad shuttles) but sermon actually had one of the highest RAS scores in the class for running backs I'm pretty sure. He was over a 9. Like a 9.1 (Mitchell was only a 9.44 for comparison). His explosion isn't quite kamara level, but it's easy up there and he's got some wiggle

Thanks fellas.

Did not know that about Sermon and Banks.

I will say about Mitchell, he flies smoothly on the open field and he doesn't seem like he's running all that fast but he has a little Arian Foster to him in that regard. I will say, I've seen him from clips get caught from behind so not sure I really think of him as a 4.3 runner. He still hits the hole well though and definitely moves just not Mostert like even if their 40 times are similar.

Sermon and Mitchell are going to be our 1-2 for the foreseeable future. Throw in possibly Wilson.....Now from Sermon and Mitchell, which of the two can actually contribute in the passing game though? 

• Like 1

Link Trey Sermon RB Ohio State 2021 3 88 9.66
Link Elijah Mitchell RB Louisiana 2021 6 194 9.50
Link Ambry Thomas CB Michigan 2021 3 102 8.97
Link Deommodore Lenoir CB Oregon 2021 5 172 7.59
Link Jaylon Moore OT Western Michigan 2021 5 155 7.49
Link Aaron Banks OG Notre Dame 2021 2 48 7.20
Link Talanoa Hufanga SS Southern California 2021 5 180 5.77
Link Trey Lance QB North Dakota State 2021 1 3

The RAS for this class. 

59 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:
Link Trey Sermon RB Ohio State 2021 3 88 9.66
Link Elijah Mitchell RB Louisiana 2021 6 194 9.50
Link Ambry Thomas CB Michigan 2021 3 102 8.97
Link Deommodore Lenoir CB Oregon 2021 5 172 7.59
Link Jaylon Moore OT Western Michigan 2021 5 155 7.49
Link Aaron Banks OG Notre Dame 2021 2 48 7.20
Link Talanoa Hufanga SS Southern California 2021 5 180 5.77
Link Trey Lance QB North Dakota State 2021 1 3

The RAS for this class. 

Banks at 7.2 with the extra weight is kinda nuts. Or did he lose a bit in the off-season?

The thought I keep having about this draft is all these picks look like really good guys. Guys the lockerroom will love. Guys that are easy to cheer for. It doesn't have anything to do with talent, and I don't know if more talented players were intentionally left on the table in favour of high character guys, but these guys just really look like good people, it just jumps out at you. I don't know that it's done on purpose, in terms of team building, or if that's just coincidental. Or maybe the FO were just being extra cautious this year because of the general lack of information they had on prospects, so they went for the safer ones. But I really like these guys. 

• Like 3

Is there any chance Reed comes back? Or did he close the door on that. 

We also didn’t pick up a small shifty receiver, which is something I like to have. I know Taylor’s still unsigned, and really did nothing for us to want to sign him with injury after injury. Any word on his recovery and if he’s someone we could possibly bring back for that slot role? 

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

Is there any chance Reed comes back? Or did he close the door on that. 

We also didn’t pick up a small shifty receiver, which is something I like to have. I know Taylor’s still unsigned, and really did nothing for us to want to sign him with injury after injury. Any word on his recovery and if he’s someone we could possibly bring back for that slot role? 

Id rather sign Golden Tate. 

• Like 1

Very happy with the draft. Lance by himself makes me happy because if it was Jones, it wouldn't have mattered what they would have done for the rest of the draft. Good OG pick, solid CB and a good RB. Some good depth. Overall, real good draft. Pretty sure they wanted the OT out of Notre Dame in the 2nd but he was take a spot or two so the team traded down with the Raiders, got an extra pick. All in all, a good solid draft. No real complaints. Easily preferred Lance over Jones obviously and even more happy that we didn't send a bunch of stuff to GB for Rodgers because no thanks.

Looking forward to the season. Actually hoping that Jimmy G stays healthy and plays the entire year so Lance can sit for the year. And if Jimmy G plays like he did in 2019, that would be great so we can hopefully get back at least 2nd for him in 2022 since next year's QB class is said to be weak. Was worried but ended up being very pleased and happy.

Overall Class Grade: B+

Overall thoughts:
It starts with Lance. If we hit on him it’s a success. I think we found some really solid high-character scheme fits who can make an immediate impact. Our special teams, back field, and o-line were clearly upgraded and should see immediate returns there. It feels like we're trying to establish bully ball with a lot of these guys on both sides of the ball, which I like a lot. We took explosive athletes that love to hit people. 

My Pick-by-Pick Analysis

Trey Lance

Aaron Banks

Trey Sermon 

Ambry Thomas 

Jaylon Moore 

Deommodore Lenoir 

Talanoa Hufanga 

Elijah Mitchell 

• Like 2

I wasn't a fan of the draft and gave it a C. Happy with Lance and the 2 CBs. However this D lives and dies by it's pass rush. Thought we should have picked up at least one Edge. We can't rely on Ford and we lost Hyder. Also thought that if we picked up IOL they at least required Center experience as this is the most important piece on our OL as was shown last year. No need to double dip on RB either.