TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
R1 (32): EDGE Joe Tryon, Washington
R2 (64): QB Kyle Trask, Florida
R3 (95): iOL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame
R4 (129): WR Jaelon Darden, North Texas
R5 (176): LB K.J. Britt, Auburn
R7 (251): CB Chris Wilcox, BYU
R7 (259) LB Grant Stuard, Houston

Day 1: We were lower on Joe Tryon than most other outlets and analysts. He boasts ideal size, length and explosiveness and features a menacing bull rush. We just didn’t see those dominant reps on a consistent basis, and that bull rush was about all he had to his name. He posted a middling 71.9 pass-rush grade in 2019 (opted out in 2020), and nearly half of his 41 pressures that year were unblocked or clean-ups. He’s a work in progress, but the reigning Super Bowl champions can afford to take a chance on him.

Day 2: Trask is one of the most intriguing quarterbacks in this draft because of how little experience he has. Trask didn’t even start in high school, as he backed up D’Eriq King and attempted just 161 passes at that level. He has just two seasons of starting quarterback play since the age of 14, and one of them produced an elite PFF grade of 92.2, which came in 2020. Trask must project to even better play, given how inexperienced he is, and now he gets to learn behind Tom Brady.

The Bucs are getting a superb technical player, though he does lack some athleticism. Hainsey enjoyed a tremendous 2020 season that saw his PFF grade jump from 74.6 in 2019 to 89.6 in 2020. Proficient in both the passing and running game, he could play tackle as he did at Notre Dame but can also be moved to guard or center without seeing much of a dip in his production.

Day 3: The Buccaneers are in position to make luxury picks with strength throughout their roster. Taking Jaelon Darden is a good one, adding legitimate speed and quicks to one of the best receiving corps in the NFL. He’s coming off a highly productive 2020 season at North Texas when he caught 19 touchdowns and forced 23 missed tackles after the catch. He’ll join the quality depth behind Tampa Bay’s starters that already includes Scotty Miller and Tyler Johnson.

Draft Grade: B-

What do you think?

Yeah, I like it as well. Getting the Edge rusher that was going to take pressure off JPP and Barrett was needed. QB of the future to learn behind Brady for 2-3 years. Yes, I think it was a bit early, but right after we picked him 3 QB were taking. Got the O-Line depth that we need since a few left for FA and hey who knows, if Hainsey can play Center if we don't resign Jensen next year. Love the Darden pick, just added depth to an already stacked WR position, we all know the AB will most likely not be back next year and I can see Darden taking a huge step next year. The rest of the picks were for added depth on the specials team. I do like the Wilcox pick as he is 6'2 and ran a 4.39 40 yard, so he has some potential. Overall, not the best, but a good draft for the future. 

Darden has pro bowl return guy all over him. Think we did a solid job picking as late as we did. See 1-2 possible starters down the road Trask & Tyron everyone else are just ST & depth guys. Thats fine with me seeing that we have our core young and intact. 

We’ll see as the year(s) go on but I’m happy with it. Filled some needs or depth I should say and got a few fun and intriguing picks in Darden and Trask.

I really like Joe Tryon. I was between him and Oweh in the mock and wound up going Tryon simply because I wanted to pull for us to pick someone who actually got sacks in college. Say what you want about how easy those sacks were, his bull rush, or how Oweh is a better rusher who just got close but couldn’t finish, Tryon actually got sacks and came on strong the last half of 2019. With no injury history, strength, athleticism and power you simply cannot teach, and him playing a role behind JPP and Shaq, couldn’t of asked for a better situation. He will come in and learn from the coaches and players. Could be a steal, but may take a year to really break out.

Trask intrigues me due to how much of a jump he took from 2019 to 2020 and those only being his 2 years of starting since age 14. He’s with the right team to develop under. Sure he isn’t LaMar but QBs have to be able to make decisions with the football and throw it downfield. Trask can do that with plenty of arm strength. Maybe it’s a wasted pick, maybe he’s a backup, maybe he starts for us down the road and is the new Andy Dalton line QB, or maybe he’s really good, who really knows. He’s been in a situation like this before and taken a huge jump after learning (2020 season). If he’s gonna be successful you’d think it would be here.

Love the OL depth and versatility with Hainsey. If you look in his draft thread he grades really well at G and C, better than OT, but he could still play it in a pinch. Invaluable depth that can move around.

Darden will be fun. Immediate impact in the return game and Lefty will be able to draw up 3-5 plays a game where Darden will be featured to break the game open with a big play. Can’t cover everyone...

Britt, Wilcox and Stuard will all be valuable special teams guys. I hope Wilcox takes over the gunner role we lost from Ryan Smith. Britt and Stuard are more downhill 1-2 down LBs but they will put a hit on you and stop the run. For a special teams guy, being a downhill player going to make the tackle is more of what we need.

If you read all this. Thank you for caring about my opinion.

Grade: B+

• Like 3

Tryon - Grade: A. Most know I'd been high on him throughout the draft season. I think if he played in 2020, we would've seen him be a top 15 pick.

Trask- Grade: B-. We finally have a young guy who can be viewed as a succession plan. His game/skillset is pretty similar to Brady, so I'm good with the pick.

Hainsey- Grade: B-. I thought there were better Olinemen on the board, but I trust Licht in evaluating OL. Plus, he's a depth piece anyway.

Darden- Grade: B+. I knew a little about him, but he seems like an instant ST weapon and could develop into a quality WR sooner than later.

These are the only ones I see as having a 75% chance or greater of making the roster, so only ones I'll grade.

• Like 1

Joe Tryon, EDGE, Washington
Player Arch: Robert Quinn
Personally, would have preferred Barmore or Levi O here, but I can see why they went edge. It's a more valuable position and a position that takes longer to get acclimated to in the pros. Tryon only has one year starting experience and put up 8 sacks, pretty impressive for someone who's still learning the position. I trust our coaching staff to make a 10+ sack/yr guy out of him. 

Kyle Trask, QB, Florida
Player Arch: Matt Cassel / Matt Schaub
My least favorite pick in the draft.. it is the most valuable position in the league though and Kyle did have a big year. It's just hard to see the upside with his current skill set. Best case scenario, his lack of zip is fixed by improving his mechanics and footwork, and he develops into more of a Matt Ryan type than the Matt's I compared him too above. Most likely though I think he has a career like Cassel. The good news is that QBs hold value and even if he's just a 'good backup' we can probably still get a 3rd back for him when we find a real franchise QB post TB. 

Robert Hainsey, OL, Notre Dame
Player Arch: Joe Haeg / Joe Thuney
Hainsey actually first popped out on film to me when I was watching Aaron Banks, had to go look up is number. He's not Quinn Meinerz who we all fell in love with, but I've learned to trust this FO when it comes to the OLine. Licht stayed true to forma and  followed his archetype of college OT who transition to the interior in the pros again. I think there's a good chance Hainsey become a versatile backup that can fill in at 4 positions and have starting potential. His upside is someone like Joel Bitonio or Joe Thuney, college OT guys that didnt exactly get fans excited when they were drafted but they are some of the top interior lineman in the league today. 

Jaleon Darden, WR, North Texas
Player Arch: Diontae Johnson 
Darden is a guy I think we've been trying to draft for years, since the Steelers beat us out on Diontae. He might be one of the smallest players on the roster, but he's also the quickest and shiftiest player. I think he landed in the best spot possible for him, given the way we've been able to develop receiving talent and learning from another small school undersized wideout in AB. I'm actually pretty excited about this pick. I think he'll be a fan favorite early as a kick returner, and I believe in a couple years he'll be a 1,000 yard receiver. 

KJ Britt, ILB, Auburn
Player Arch: Kevin Minter
Another position Ive come to trust our FO with as they've been good finding talent late. He's a classic 3-4 ILB with some playmaking potential, the hope is that he's a solid backup that can fill in on spot starts. His junior season production where he had 10 TFL, 3.5 sacks, and 2 FF playing in the SEC is what got him drafted here. 

Chris Wilcox, CB, BYU
Player Arch: Ryan Smith
Don't know much about him, but he has the H/W/S profile of our other corners. Described as an 'elite tackler' and didn't miss one last season, so should at least be a good ST player. If he can give us what Ryan Smith gave us in his time here I wouldn't be disappointed at all. The tools are there to become more than that and can't ask for much more than that from a 7th round pick. 

Grant Stuard, ILB, Houston
Player Arch: Larry Izzo
I saw the Izzo comparison and I'm sticking to it because I love it. As a DB up until this past season, Stuard is still getting used to playing in the front 7, but either way I think his real value will come from ST. See a trend with this draft? If Wilcox, Stuard, and Darden can elevate our ST to at-least league average then I think this draft should be seen as an absolute success. 

• Like 4

just to throw this out there now that we have hindsight, i wonder if we arent being a little too cocky.

i mean you can tell that with our last 4 picks in the draft we completely targeted improving our ST 

which is fine, i mean that was definitely a key area of our team that needed strengthening, however i would have liked to address some DL depth and we overlooked that area

with 3 guys over 30 starting on our DL i wonder if that comes back to bite us in the u know what

our drafting showed how confident we are in our roster and its awesome, but i am also just so used to NOT winning lol that its hard for me to share the confidence going forward, but hey eff it maybe the GOAT really did our entire franchise atmosphere for the foreseeable future

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

just to throw this out there now that we have hindsight, i wonder if we arent being a little too cocky.

i mean you can tell that with our last 4 picks in the draft we completely targeted improving our ST 

which is fine, i mean that was definitely a key area of our team that needed strengthening, however i would have liked to address some DL depth and we overlooked that area

with 3 guys over 30 starting on our DL i wonder if that comes back to bite us in the u know what

our drafting showed how confident we are in our roster and its awesome, but i am also just so used to NOT winning lol that its hard for me to share the confidence going forward, but hey eff it maybe the GOAT really did our entire franchise atmosphere for the foreseeable future

I agree in wanting more IDL depth too, but I think it tells us something about who we have..

1. The coaching staff is higher on Khalil Davis than we know. He hasn't had much PT yet, but he was a high potential pick and he might be showing that potential in practice. 

2. Gholston is turning 30 this summer, but he just came off a career year and looks to be in his prime. Suh was still very good last year and doesn't show many signs of slowing down. Vea is Vea, and McLendon is good insurance for him. Nacho seems like someone the coaching staff really likes too and with everyone mentioned they might have just not seen PT for another down lineman this year. 

3. Maybe Anthony Nelson plays more down on the line? He's got the size, if he bulks up a bit he could have the strength. Tryon will probably take his snaps this year at EDGE. Just a thought to throw out there. 

4. We're planning on drafting Suh's replacement high in the 2022 draft. You see guys like Derrick Brown, Raekwon Davis, Justin Madubuike, Quinnen Williams, etc etc come in and have an impact as rookies. I think the plan next year might be to draft someone in the first two rounds and let them compete with Khalil for a starting job. 

46 minutes ago, haveyoumetdustin said:

I agree in wanting more IDL depth too, but I think it tells us something about who we have..

1. The coaching staff is higher on Khalil Davis than we know. He hasn't had much PT yet, but he was a high potential pick and he might be showing that potential in practice. 

2. Gholston is turning 30 this summer, but he just came off a career year and looks to be in his prime. Suh was still very good last year and doesn't show many signs of slowing down. Vea is Vea, and McLendon is good insurance for him. Nacho seems like someone the coaching staff really likes too and with everyone mentioned they might have just not seen PT for another down lineman this year. 

3. Maybe Anthony Nelson plays more down on the line? He's got the size, if he bulks up a bit he could have the strength. Tryon will probably take his snaps this year at EDGE. Just a thought to throw out there. 

4. We're planning on drafting Suh's replacement high in the 2022 draft. You see guys like Derrick Brown, Raekwon Davis, Justin Madubuike, Quinnen Williams, etc etc come in and have an impact as rookies. I think the plan next year might be to draft someone in the first two rounds and let them compete with Khalil for a starting job. 

yea i concur

with the DL we currently have it would take a lot for a rookie to contribute significantly, im just wishful 

i think Tryon completely tanks Nelsons playing time, i think he takes all of his reps, whether that be on  the Edge or as an interior rusher on passing downs

and Next  year DL and CB should be major priorities (dependent on Carlton that is)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haveyoumetdustin said:

I was just checking 2022 DT prospects and I dont see anybody to wow about.

In the mean time Suh, McClendon will free up cash while Akiem Hicks will be a UFA. At 32 cant see that guy trying break the bank. I know paying Godwin & Davis III is priority but I like our chances.