Draft Day Winners and Losers

AkronsWitness

Browns fan has Browns as the best and Steelers as the worst with no real explanation at all?  Sounds about right.   😏

Bad positional value?   Maybe, but they needed help at those positions IMMEDIATELY.    The first round pick was fine.     I dont like RB early, but we had nothing at the position and there wasnt a ton of value at OLine or CB when we picked.    I wouldve rather taken Creed Humprey in the second....but oh well.    Friermuth can be a day one contributor, and they still want to try to win with Ben, so it was a fine pick.

Fans always hate the Steelers drafts and claim the rest of the AFC North killed it because they draft more high profile players or players that are mentioned more....yet they dont typically draft notably better.   Browns and Bengals always get their draft classes talked up, but they typically end up with equal or worse classes.

I have no idea how this draft will turn out.     Im not incredibly happy with the Steelers draft, but I never am.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So... Nick Caserio is why New England couldn't draft.

Davis Mills might be an intriguing developmental option, but with as many holes the Texans have, a third round QB isn't going to help in the short or long term. Add that to the annual mid round TE the Texans like to draft and you had a mess of a draft, with no real direction on what anything might look like.

I seriously think a room of spider monkeys could run the Texans better than Cal/Jack/Nick.

when you couple their draft strategy with their FA strategy, its clearly - throw as much stuff against the wall as possible to see what sticks

• Like 1

As far as positional value goes, the Patriots had one of the best drafts of the year, and their best draft as a franchise since 2010. I don't particularly like Mac Jones as a prospect, but he's definitely going to the best situation for him to flourish. Barmore was a pick I'd have been happy with at 15 and getting him at 38 is just unreal value. They also got a couple of steals in Ronnie Perkins and Tre Nixon. 

Best overall draft IMO was the Bears. Fields is going to be the best QB to come out of this class, and Teven Jenkins might be the best RT in the league by year's end. They also filled out their roster nicely on day 3 with Herbert and Graham. 

Worst had to be the Saints. I don't mind the Peyton Turner pick because he's got measurables like a Jason Pierre-Paul coming out of college, but how the hell do you wait until round 4 to pick a QB when your current options are a guy who threw 30 picks the last time he started and a guy who will only ever be a gadget player/backup? Taking Pete Werner at 60 was a major reach as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Lions, Bears, Chargers, and Cardinals all winners.

Vikings didn't excite me at all.

I agree with all of these, except I think the Vikings were also huge winners. 

- They were able to trade down and still get a player that they probably would have been willing to take at 14.
- Then they used one of the picks they got for trading down and took a prospect who at least has the possibility of someday becoming their franchise quarterback.  They basically got him for free by using one of those picks.  If he busts, no problem.  If he works out, it's a huge win.
- Then they drafted OG Wyatt Davis to play on the O-line with Christian Darrisaw.  They took their teams biggest weakness and turned it into a huge strength.

The still may have issues at DE with their pass rush, and it would have been nice to get a safety, but even so, they had a great draft.

Lions

Built up the trenches with the best OT in the draft, two very promising DT prospects, and an interesting WR.

Bears

Moved up twice and fixed two big weaknesses:
- They may have drafted the best quarterback the Bears have had in my lifetime, and I was born in 1964.
- They also added arguably the best OT prospect available at the time to protect their new QB. 

These two players alone could drastically improve the future of the franchise.

Cardinals

Drafted two of my favorite players in the draft - LB Zaven Collins and WR Rondale Moore.  Both are potential big-time game changers.

Chargers

Got a Top 2 offensive tackle and some other nice pieces.

Patriots

I would also add them to my list.  They had the fortitude to wait until their future franchise QB fell all the way down to them at 15 and they took him.  They also got very good value on Christian Barmore in the second round.

• Like 6

I really liked what all three NFC North rivals did this year. It’s almost like they all collectively figured it out at the same time. Another draft or two like that by these teams and the NFC North is going to be an absolute gauntlet. 

Be proud Bears, Lions and Vikings fans! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

- They may have drafted the best quarterback the Bears have had in my lifetime, and I was born in 1964.

That same QB is why I don't give Denver's draft an A. I read something about how they couldn't draft a QB because Fangio is on the hot seat. So what!

You draft a QB because of an organization, not because of a sacred head coach. Paton did fine otherwise, but I question why he wanted this job in the first place with Elway and Fangio still with the team. You would think that you would want your own coaching staff so you can form your own legacy without Elway looking over your shoulder.

42 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

That same QB is why I don't give Denver's draft an A. I read something about how they couldn't draft a QB because Fangio is on the hot seat. So what!

You draft a QB because of an organization, not because of a sacred head coach. Paton did fine otherwise, but I question why he wanted this job in the first place with Elway and Fangio still with the team. You would think that you would want your own coaching staff so you can form your own legacy without Elway looking over your shoulder.

Elway was great at playing the quarterback position but he has shown that he doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to providing one for his team as a GM.  Maybe you guys will get Rodgers for a few years like you did with Peyton though.  That would give you a window of time when you should make the playoffs for a while and hopefully you can find one during that period of time to eventually take over.

Edited by Uncle Buck

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I really liked what all three NFC North rivals did this year. It’s almost like they all collectively figured it out at the same time. Another draft or two like that by these teams and the NFC North is going to be an absolute gauntlet. 

Be proud Bears, Lions and Vikings fans! 

No reason for Packer fans to hang their cheese covered heads either, Nick.  Your draft wasn't a "sexy" one, but you guys picked several solid players who should keep you on a great path.  I love the center you drafted, especially.  He should be able to anchor your offensive line for the next decade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Elway was great at playing the quarterback position but he has shown that he doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to providing one for his team as a GM.  Maybe you guys will get Rodgers for a few years like you did with Peyton though.  That would give you a window of time when you should make the playoffs for a while and hopefully you can find one during that period of time to eventually take over.

Elway isn't in charge anymore. George Paton is the new GM. And, he better hope that he can get Rodgers. Bridgewater or Lock won't cut it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

What I find the most strange is that Denver drafted guys for Vic Fangio and loaded up their defense more when there is a 75% chance he is not going to be the HC after this season.

They drafted well and got even more play makers with Surtain/Williams/Browning but there is still that giant elephant in the room at QB. At some point they are going to need to aggressively address that to maximize all of these other guys they drafted

Right now Denver has probably a top 2 roster in the NFL in terms of overall talent--they just have no engine in the car to make it run so they are just wasting valuable years off these guys contracts.

I also find it weird how a guy like Josh Rosen can't get a fair shake to save his life but they are bending over backwards to give Lock every chance in the world in year 3.

Edited by AkronsWitness

47 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What I find the most strange is that Denver drafted guys for Vic Fangio and loaded up their defense more when there is a 75% chance he is not going to be the HC after this season.

They drafted well and got even more play makers with Surtain/Williams/Browning but there is still that giant elephant in the room at QB. At some point they are going to need to aggressively address that to maximize all of these other guys they drafted

Right now Denver has probably a top 2 roster in the NFL in terms of overall talent--they just have no engine in the car to make it run so they are just wasting valuable years off these guys contracts.

I also find it weird how a guy like Josh Rosen can't get a fair shake to save his life but they are bending over backwards to give Lock every chance in the world in year 3.

Agreed on Rosen. Also, I know that a lot of Denver fans hate me mentioning his name, but I still think that Kyle Sloter didn't get enough of a chance. Some have said that he was another Brandstater or Bradlee Van Pelt. Those two guys didn't have fans of another team he went to making videos about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5w5NQPwgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbeAPSkua04