Draft Day Winners and Losers

AkronsWitness

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Are you guys having him as a DE or a LB? He's gonna get absolutely handled as a 4-3 End.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but speculation is he'll be a LEO in Bradley's scheme. He'll only see the field in pass-rushing situations though. From all accounts he was one of the better pure pass-rushers in the draft with his bend, quickness, first step, etc. From a physical stand point people are drawing comparisons to Yannick who is currently a Raider so at least he has a good mentor in that regard. He'll no doubt need to get a lot stronger but we have players on the line who are powerful/good vs the run, we desperately needed speed and bend. That's what Yannick and hopefully Koonce can offer down the road. 

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

Are you guys having him as a DE or a LB? He's gonna get absolutely handled as a 4-3 End.

He'll probably just be a DPR for them early. They already have Ngakoue, Crosby, and Ferrell as a kind of rotating starting trio. Yanny isn't so bad against the run and both Clelin & Maxx are sturdier Ends. They wanted more juice and to raise the ceiling of their pass rush though, so they took Koonce.  Makes sense.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nut said:

I love threads like this.

Grading drafts right afterwards has got to be one of the dumbest things football fans do.

Get back with me in 3 or 4 years THEN we'll talk.

Yeah but it’s not like there’s anything else to talk about in the football world 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nut said:

I love threads like this.

Grading drafts right afterwards has got to be one of the dumbest things football fans do.

Get back with me in 3 or 4 years THEN we'll talk.

Fans do it to pass time because there's nothing else to do until training camp starts. It's also to showcase who they liked / didn't like prior to the draft. In no way shape or form is anyone saying "Damn they'll suck for the next decade because of this draft" -- What's dumb is coming on an NFL Football forum and expecting not to see this immediately after draft.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Caserio probably gets his chance to draft a franchise QB next year after the Texans are the worst team in the league. Makes the Mills pick look even worse.

This is what make it frustrating - even moreso if he's determined to be "the smartest guy in the room" and passes on Sam Howell to give Mills a full season as the starter next draft.

I'm sort of bracing for that - Texans will pass on a QB at 1.1 and either trade down (which isn't horrible) or pick a non QB.

I guess my hope is DJ Uiagalelei in 2023?

I always find the "draft grades are stupid" crowd really odd. Following the draft at all is inherently odd. How people can obsess about the draft for months but then not want to discuss the results at all is so bizarre to me. Like half our draft projections will be flat wrong and thats ok but being wrong in our intimidate aftermath is verboten.

• Like 5

I always enjoy the draft hot take grades the day after, from posters and the guys who get paid to produce their drivel. If your draft day losers consistently include the best drafting teams in the league, you are probably wrong. The Steelers were rated as losers by many last year and landed three starters in that draft.

I think they get 3 day 1 starters out of this one at positions of need. I'm not the biggest fan of RB in R1, but they had fringe NFL players at the position and badly needed an upgrade. They got a starting center who I'd wager they preferred to many of the guys who went ahead of him, and they got themselves a starting TE. If any of their other picks pans out, that's a homerun draft.

5 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Like half our draft projections will be flat wrong and thats ok but being wrong in our intimidate aftermath is verboten.

I don't mind if from fans. I'm more offended by the stupidity of the guys who get paid to do it. Mel Kiper has done nothing to earn the moniker of draft expert besides being around a very long time.

13 hours ago, Starless said:

but how the hell do you wait until round 4 to pick a QB when your current options are a guy who threw 30 picks the last time he started and a guy who will only ever be a gadget player/backup?

I don't get this logic at all. They were drafting 28th. Reaching for a player of need is usually a mistake in my view, but doing it at the QB position is just a waste of resources. Such few QB's pan out that if I'm spending a pick on a guy, it's someone I want faith in. Very few guys work out after the first round. The 2nd and 3rd round QB fliers almost never work. Should they have taken Kellen Mond if they viewed him as a bum? Who were they supposed to take?

Short of throwing massive resources at a move-up, they did the smart thing and tried to find talent for the rest of the roster. And they've been one of the best drafting teams in the last 5 or so years so I wouldn't bet against their decision making.

16 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Colts get a 

Bored Meh GIF

This is where BPA conflicts with BPA at PON. As fans we want the latter. I’m hoping that the Colts somehow have backup plan at LT besides Tevi.

I came in to the draft thinking the bills will get an instant impact player but that is clearly impossible when you are drafting so late in the 1st rd. While they got a raw project and it was something I was totally against you have to just trust the team's GM/HC Staff that they know what they are doing. Outside of a handful of players in this draft the rest can easily be a bust then boom, not many sure fire players.

One thing I do think is outside of the Jags winning the draft based on gifted a qb that is suppose to be the next coming of franchise Qbs. I think the Niners did right by going for the guy with the most ceiling and a year to sit (or likely October when jimmy goes down with an injury) he has a cast around him to succeed. Not comparing him to Mahomes as a player but comparing him to the stability of coming in to an organization that can do you wonders for a QB. Having an offensive mind hc, a starting QB that isnt forcing you in to playing week 1, a respectable offense on the line and in the weapons all for Lance to succeed. Definitely the right move over Mac as Mac seems to have shown all that he can do and he will work in a BB system in which he will do enough for the players around him to carry him but if he is expected to go out there and make play after play in order to win I just dont think he is that guy that others may do. 

The other person to win the Draft was Wilson, whether the Jets are winners or losers in the regular season what their gm did is something the past few GMs struggled to do is build their team through the draft and get him weapons as well as an oline. They never properly built the team for Darnold to succeed so I think what Douglas did for them was the right thing to give up picks to get a guard may seem a bit weird but I think it is necessary to make sure you offer this team the best talent possible for need to protect your supposed franchise qb. Darnold's debate is much alive on whether he was the reason the jets failed or if it was the jets failing him by not doing what douglas is now doing and I dont think that can come in to question for Wilson on whether or not he succeeds at the pro level

Edited by soflbillsfan

14 hours ago, 43M said:

Browns and Bengals always get their draft classes talked up, but they typically end up with equal or worse classes.

Not the last 3 years.

If you want to argue before then or historically, yes.

Edited by candyman93