LBs: what happens moving forward

WizardHawk

So we got Parsons, Smith, LVE, Neal, Cox all competing for snaps?

I'm all about competition as long as it is true competition and players aren't handed the job due to contract.

Would love to make sure Cox and Parsons are getting snaps to be effective.

13 minutes ago, D82 said:

Even though this is likely true (Vander Esch will just be in street clothes) it's still hard to reconcile. Imagine going back to the night of the 2018 Saints game and telling our past selves that in two years our studly young LB pair would be hot trash. I've figured for a while this would be the last year for both of them, but I'm surprised by how many people I've seen relish in that idea. It sucks, honestly.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Even though this is likely true (Vander Esch will just be in street clothes) it's still hard to reconcile. Imagine going back to the night of the 2018 Saints game and telling our past selves that in two years our studly young LB pair would be hot trash. I've figured for a while this would be the last year for both of them, but I'm surprised by how many people I've seen relish in that idea. It sucks, honestly.

I’m rooting for them. I loved watching Jaylon at ND. Great comeback story. That rookie season of LVE was special. Would love to see the 2 of them do everything they can this offseason to correct their deficiencies and come back strong. It would only make our Defense that much better. 

• Like 2

I would try to run some 3-4 sets.

LOLB: Jaylon Smith

MLB: Parsons

MLB: Neal/Cox

ROLB: LVE

5T: Gallimore/Odighizuwa

NT: Woods/ Big Bohanna

5T: DLaw/Trysten Hill

Get the two vet LBs back in the game by giving them more of a blitzing edge role, that mixes in coverage. Get Parsons as the thumper inside LB and Cox and Neal can be the rangy inside LB. DLaw was great against the run last year and I think would be an ideal 5T. I love the potential for Odighizuwa and Gallimore to play all DL positions along a 3 man front. Big Bohanna is an ideal 0T NT, but Woods could handle it if he isn’t ready. 

Maybe not all the time but that’s the best set to use all 5 of our LBs imo

Edited by DaBoys

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I would try to run some 3-4 sets.

LOLB: Jaylon Smith

MLB: Parsons

MLB: Neal/Cox

ROLB: LVE

5T: Gallimore/Odighizuwa

NT: Woods/ Big Bohanna

5T: DLaw/Trysten Hill

Get the two vet LBs back in the game by giving them more of a blitzing edge role, that mixes in coverage. Get Parsons as the thumper inside LB and Cox and Neal can be the rangy inside LB. DLaw was great against the run last year and I think would be an ideal 5T. I love the potential for Odighizuwa and Gallimore to play all DL positions along a 3 man front. Big Bohanna is an ideal 0T NT, but Woods could handle it if he isn’t ready. 

Maybe not all the time but that’s the best set to use all 5 of our LBs imo

I'd probably play Parsons all over in a 3-4 especially OLB given his ability to rush the passer.

Also, don't forget RG. He would be an OLB in a 3-4.

We really need to stop getting hung up over 4-3 vs. 3-4. 

Quinn came out and said last night that the majority of today's NFL lines up in a nickel formation 80% (or some other high percentage) of the time anyway - and he's right. They'll run a variety of different formations but ultimately their base will be a nickel formation.

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

We really need to stop getting hung up over 4-3 vs. 3-4. 

Quinn came out and said last night that the majority of today's NFL lines up in a nickel formation 80% (or some other high percentage) of the time anyway - and he's right. They'll run a variety of different formations but ultimately their base will be a nickel formation.

I feel like the alignment questions are best posed in terms of, what exactly is the intended role for Parsons? He gonna be more of a SAM/DPR as some have suggested, or a traditional MLB? Is he Bruce Irvin or Bobby Wagner? Some hybrid of both? This draft hinges on Quinn and co. maximizing his abilities.

11 hours ago, matt79511 said:

All true. I will say though, Jaylon has a degree of....I guess I’ll call it arrogance about him. His comment last season, “watch the film” was not terribly smart and feel the best rebuttal at the time would have been “do you?”  

53 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I feel like the alignment questions are best posed in terms of, what exactly is the intended role for Parsons? He gonna be more of a SAM/DPR as some have suggested, or a traditional MLB? Is he Bruce Irvin or Bobby Wagner? Some hybrid of both? This draft hinges on Quinn and co. maximizing his abilities.

He’s not ready to be a true MLB in the Wagner mold, IMO. I expect he’ll do a lot of the SAM/DPR, and blitzing from MLB, stuff that he can get away with on his natural ability at first. Let him slowly build up the complexity of assignments and improve his instincts. Then by 2022, you have your full-time starter at MLB.