Days of Our Lives

dll2000

2 hours ago, soulman said:

With Von Miller aging it's tough to see the Broncos being willing to part with a 25 year old pass rusher like Chubb.

GB's weakness always seems to be their secondary and Denver just drafted Surtain while the Packers drafted Eric Stokes.  If Denver dangled Surtain the Packers end up with two 1st round CBs on their rookie contracts and Surtain is the equivalent of a 2021 top ten pick.  That and two more 1sts would be a pretty offer at least for starters.  GB seems to need DBs more than edge rushers right now.

While GB can just fold their arms across their chest too and refuse to trade him I have a hunch that if they really wanted to maximize Rodgers trade value they'd do it now.  He's coming off an MVP year with only about $65 mil in base salaries left on his current deal so you add some additional guaranteed bonus money to that to make him happy and maybe another year or two extension.

If he sits out or retires then un-retires in 2022 what will his value be after sitting out for a year and also being a year older?

I know some of the Packer fans don't like to hear that and a few told me so when I posted in their forum but I really was trying to be as neutral as I could.  One thing I've learned the hard way is that if divorce is inevitable look for all the ways you can to get out of it with the shirt still on your back and a roof over your head.  If Rodgers has really made up his mind not to play in GB he's not gonna change it.

problem is it leaves denver with bryce, darby, and fuller with expiring deals this year. gb would then have 3 first round corners, yes, but that seems like overkill

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Chubb could absolutely be included in a deal for Rodgers or should be.  You would have to clear space for him and he is about to be paid big money.  Its a win/win.

If I was a GM and trading a big asset I would be looking for promising rookies.  They are cheap and have already shown they can play.   On other side of deal I would be looking to give away expensive assets or about to be expensive assets instead.

But these fantasy deals I see where Broncos give 3 ones, 3 twos, Juedy and Chubb for a 38 year old Rodgers who just got married or is getting married soon, found out he has other interests he wants to pursue and looks skinny all of a sudden.   - I would never do it.

I would trade a a really good player like Chubb and one draft pick and take a shot at a SB if Rodgers could convince me he wants to go all in or I would pass.   

People have had too much time to think about it.   And will start thinking like me above.  

Time to do trade for max value was before draft.  Mentality is different then.  Packers will never get as much as they could have got ever again.  Packers were stupid IMO.  

I just don't believe Fangio will willingly let go of Chubb.  Of course Elway would have final say but trading away a 25 year old pass rusher whose about to enter his prime wouldn't be my first choice either.

Two other reasons.  1) Chubb is in year four of his rookie deal and would need an extension.  2) The Packers just sunk a lot of money into two FA edge rushers.  CB always seems to be an issue for GB so why not take a rookie you have control of for 4-5 years?

Three ones, three twos, AND two top players????  WFT planet do they live on.  Not gonna happen in this lifetime.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

problem is it leaves denver with bryce, darby, and fuller with expiring deals this year. gb would then have 3 first round corners, yes, but that seems like overkill

Teams play a lot of nickel these days and often use 3 CBs for a majority of their defensive snaps.  As for Denver they can probably bring back two of the three.

I suggested Surtain because he's the equivalent of a 2021 top ten pick.  GB may have an entirely different idea or not want players at all vs picks.  The bottom line is someone has to decide what they're gonna do here.  If Rodgers position toward any offer GB makes now is "too little, too late" then I believe they're foolish if they don't at least begin some negotiations with interested parties.

17 hours ago, soulman said:

With Von Miller aging it's tough to see the Broncos being willing to part with a 25 year old pass rusher like Chubb.

With all the talent and SPEED they have on offense, if I ran the Broncos I'd include Chubb in a trade in a crackhead heartbeat. Get Rodgers, figure your pass rush later. Make another trade, let it slide, do whatever. Rodgers with the Broncos offense would be Must See TV. 

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Time to do trade for max value was before draft.  Mentality is different then.  Packers will never get as much as they could have got ever again.  Packers were stupid IMO.  

Yup.

A breathtakingly stupid, and completely ****headed move. Just what are they trying to accomplish? If they want to keep Rodgers, then get the deal done and TRADE LOVE, FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! If not, trade Rodgers on draft day. 

I've been a big fan of Gutekunst's, up until now...but this ****show could totally have been avoided. 

29 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

With all the talent and SPEED they have on offense, if I ran the Broncos I'd include Chubb in a trade in a crackhead heartbeat. Get Rodgers, figure your pass rush later. Make another trade, let it slide, do whatever. Rodgers with the Broncos offense would be Must See TV. 

Ah yes, but remember who the coach is.  My guess is if including Chubb is the only way a deal gets done then Elway will do it if he wants Rodgers badly enough.

• Like 1

Gonna resurrect this one only to share the latest brain storm I read today. The suggestion was that Packer President Mark Murphy should guarantee Rodgers that he will trade him next offseason provided he comes in and plays out one more year in 2021.....WTF?

I have no idea how Rodger would respond to this other than to say the suggestion doesn't seem to take into consideration just how personal this whole deal has become for Rodgers.  If it was just the money he's already done the pay me or trade me deal and after initially being rebuffed completely still isn't seemingly hearing the terms he wants.  Only the terms GB is willing to offer.  So it's become too little, too late.

This of course would be Green Bay's way of making it easier on themselves possibly negating the need to pay him more and extend his deal and give Love another year to ease into the driver's seat because they don't believe he's ready yet.  But it totally ignores the fact that Rodgers isn't at all interested in making it easier on the Packers.  In fact I'd bet it's quite the opposite.  He'd love to hang Gutekunst and the rest of that front office out to dry. I also believe that even if he wants another run at a ring he doesn't want to do it playing for GB period.

The other news is actually even more laughable if that's possible.

Scribes are writing about how he'll accumulate over $93,000 in fines if he fails to show up for OTAs and camp.  Are they forgetting that he just blew off half a mil in bonus money and they think that another $93k is gonna be a difference maker?  Drama in the Tundra rages on.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:21 PM, soulman said:

Ah yes, but remember who the coach is. 

On 6/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, Heinz D. said:

Yup.

A breathtakingly stupid, and completely ****headed move. Just what are they trying to accomplish? If they want to keep Rodgers, then get the deal done and TRADE LOVE, FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! If not, trade Rodgers on draft day. 

I've been a big fan of Gutekunst's, up until now...but this ****show could totally have been avoided. 

My guess is if including Chubb is the only way a deal gets done then Elway will do it if he wants Rodgers badly enough.

Titans fans are running around right now like they just won SB for adding an oft injured, but big time WR.

Imagine if Broncos, who as Heinz pointed out, are loaded on offensive and secondary defensive talent added Aaron Rodgers to that mix.

With that one move they have gone from a middling team, not unlike Bears, to a team that is instantly top 4 in league.   Just like when they added Manning.   It is same thing.   Rodgers has never played with that kind of young team speed, that would be fascinating to watch.  

If Fangio stood against it all, in any way, which I find hard to believe, he is a fool.   

But time to add Rodgers is now or ASAP.   Every day that gets closer to season is one where he is acclimating to team and them to him.   

There was a transition with Manning and Brady too and they were both psychotic in offseason getting in tons of private work and meetings with guys.   Brady even did it during all Covid happenings.

Barring that I cannot fathom why Broncos did not draft Fields unless they are hoping for Rodgers.   Even with Rodgers you can make a two year run and cut him loose and move to Fields or in alternative trade Fields to recoup draft picks you spend on acquiring Rodgers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Titans fans are running around right now like they just won SB for adding an oft injured, but big time WR.

Imagine if Broncos, who as Heinz pointed out, are loaded on offensive and secondary defensive talent added Aaron Rodgers to that mix.

With that one move they have gone from a middling team, not unlike Bears, to a team that is instantly top 4 in league.   Just like when they added Manning.   It is same thing.   Rodgers has never played with that kind of young team speed, that would be fascinating to watch.  

If Fangio stood against it all, in any way, which I find hard to believe, he is a fool.   

But time to add Rodgers is now or ASAP.   Every day that gets closer to season is one where he is acclimating to team and them to him.   

There was a transition with Manning and Brady too and they were both psychotic in offseason getting in tons of private work and meetings with guys.   Brady even did it during all Covid happenings.

Barring that I cannot fathom why Broncos did not draft Fields unless they are hoping for Rodgers.   Even with Rodgers you can make a two year run and cut him loose and move to Fields or in alternative trade Fields to recoup draft picks you spend on acquiring Rodgers.

Because I also follow and support the Broncos I would love to see Rodgers in Bronco orange. (one color the Bears should never wear)

And as a life long die hard Bears fan seeing Rodgers traded to Denver before camp opens would truly be like Christmas in July.  Even in a bad year in the middle of a slump he still finds a way to have his best games against us.  Furthermore it could be a very good trade for both.

Denver gets another Manning level HOF QB who can take them to a Super Bowl while GB gets picks and possibly players to rebuild with around Love and one hell of huge cap break.  In a way getting a bundle for Rodgers and losing his cost may actually make GB even tougher.

Fangio wouldn't object and even if he did over a player like Chubb being part of the deal he has no say higher than that of Elway.  If ol' "Horse Face" wants it to happen it will happen.  Johnny Boy is all about winning Super Bowls not just winning the AFC West.

At the moment we have a Mexican standoff with Murphy claiming they will absolutely not trade him and Rodgers countering with he absolutely will not report or play even one game more with the Packers.  IMHO sooner than later someone has to blink.

Passing on Fields who seems to be an ideal QB for Denver says to me that not only does Elway believe he can get Rodgers but that he's actually fixated on getting Rodgers above all else.  He wants another SB trophy and has the roller skates.  Rodgers has the key.

Edited by soulman

54 minutes ago, soulman said:

Passing on Fields who seems to be an ideal QB for Denver says to me that not only does Elway believe he can get Rodgers but that he's actually fixated on getting Rodgers above all else.  He wants another SB trophy and has the roller skates.  Rodgers has the key.

Yup. And also Lock played well to round out the season, so he's another very good option, already on the roster. Bridgewater there if he happens to falter.

Reports out of Packers camp indicate Love is either tearing it up, or coming close, depending on the series. I'd be stunned if a move isn't done soon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yup. And also Lock played well to round out the season, so he's another very good option, already on the roster. Bridgewater there if he happens to falter.

Reports out of Packers camp indicate Love is either tearing it up, or coming close, depending on the series. I'd be stunned if a move isn't done soon. 

Well if they are planning on trading Rodgers now that he's proven he won't report I don't expect we'd hear anything negative about Love.

Mitch got a lotta praise at times too.

If it's gonna happen you have to think it will happen before camp opens.  I'll be back in Wisconsin between June 18th and June 30th and plan to spend a few days in The Tundra.  I'll see if I can learn anything more up there.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Well if they are planning on trading Rodgers now that he's proven he won't report I don't expect we'd hear anything negative about Love.

Mitch got a lotta praise at times too.

I think the Love praise is genuine, though. Not the "short bus guy doing good" kind of fluff like we got from Nagy. 

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I think the Love praise is genuine, though. Not the "short bus guy doing good" kind of fluff like we got from Nagy. 

(Shrug)  The only problem is a week or two ago all we heard was "he's not ready yet" but now he's tearing it up?

Since I have no way of knowing one way or another all I can add is throwing in 7 on 7 drills in an OTA isn't gonna do much more than help a guy recognize routs and get his timing down.  We're hearing much the same about Dalton but has that changed anyone's opinion of him?

At the root of this Rodgers thing I believe is this.

No one in the Cheese Tundra was counting on Rodgers having an MVP year in 2020 and nearly getting them into the Super Bowl.  Had that not happened Rodgers might have lacked the ammo to ask for some love in the form of more guaranteed money and an extension.  That's what Guntekunst and Murphy seemed to be counting on and after the 2021 season having groomed Love for two years he takes over as a starter.

They trade Rodgers after the 2021 season for some picks and unload his nearly $40 mil 2022 cap hit while Love is still under his rookie deal 'til 2024 at which time Rodgers would have become a UFA anyway.  But by trading Rodgers early they not only get value for him but also the cap space to spend significantly on support for Love.  Rodgers saw through all of that quite easily and said "not so fast".  Pay me now, trade me now or I quit.

The Packer Brass weren't expecting this.  They'd hoped for their "perfect world with a white picket fence around it".

They still have Rodgers to make another SB run in 2021 while Love gets a second year to pickup the offense as an understudy to a HOF QB so it's very similar to a redux of the Favre to Rodgers transition.  If they trade Rodgers that doesn't happen.  But if Rodgers won't play their game and hopefully win them another Lombardi Trophy that doesn't happen either.  He's busting their Super Bowl balloon and their balls.

IMHO what GB has is a major league problem wrapped in an enigma called Aaron Rodgers.  They still don't seem to get the point that he's dead set against ever playing another down for the Green Bay Packers and they can't believe it.  Why would he not want to do this and win them and himself a Super Bowl.  That's the arrogance that is GBs front office pitted against Rodgers own brand of arrogance.

He feels confident he can go elsewhere, get a deal he likes, AND win a Super Bowl and GB knows they're unlikely to do it without him.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

It’s happening perfectly so far.  Rodgers is not playing and there is no trade.

Best possible scenario for Bears.  

For a long time most people said, he’ll show at training camp GB is just calling his bluff.  

Slowly, people are saying maybe he isn’t bluffing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It’s happening perfectly so far.  Rodgers is not playing and there is no trade.

Best possible scenario for Bears.  

For a long time most people said, he’ll show at training camp GB is just calling his bluff.  

Slowly, people are saying maybe he isn’t bluffing.

I don't believe he is either.

When Gutekunst rebuffed Rodgers agents attempt to get him an extension and more guaranteed money he failed to correctly predict the impact that might have on ol' Aaron.  To me it was like saying "yeah thanks for the suggestion but we're almost through with you now".

Rodgers and his agent knew full well how much more his cap hits would be in 2021 and 2022 and the only way to reduce them would be via the extension they proposed.  The "tell" from Gutekunst was trading up for Love the previous year.  That exposed his hand to Rodgers.

Although a trade now does make sense I have to wonder just how far this battle will go before someone blinks and I don't believe it's gonna be Rodgers.  On the other hand GB may not either figuring they may be better off to seek more trading partners next spring.

It seems petty much like Aaron saying I'm not gonna give you your perfect exit scenario and GB saying we know you want to be traded to Denver and we own you so we're not gonna do it.  It almost like one side is trying their best to punish the other.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I don't believe he is either.

When Gutekunst rebuffed Rodgers agents attempt to get him an extension and more guaranteed money he failed to correctly predict the impact that might have on ol' Aaron.  To me it was like saying "yeah thanks for the suggestion but we're almost through with you now".

Rodgers and his agent knew full well how much more his cap hits would be in 2021 and 2022 and the only way to reduce them would be via the extension they proposed.  The "tell" from Gutekunst was trading up for Love the previous year.  That exposed his hand to Rodgers.

Although a trade now does make sense I have to wonder just how far this battle will go before someone blinks and I don't believe it's gonna be Rodgers.  On the other hand GB may not either figuring they may be better off to seek more trading partners next spring.

It seems petty much like Aaron saying I'm not gonna give you your perfect exit scenario and GB saying we know you want to be traded to Denver and we own you so we're not gonna do it.  It almost like one side is trying their best to punish the other.

I would have traded him or extended him pre-draft.   A hold out is worst of all worlds (best for us).

Actually I would never be in this situation because I would have had a much different relationship with a decade plus vet. QB who is intelligent.   Packers are stupid in way they treated him over last 5 years or so.

Packers fans think he is being whiny, but I agree with him there.   You earn certain privileges with longevity and excellent play.  He isn't another grunt.   

I thought they jerked over Favre at end too.   Fine if you want to play Rodgers, but Favre should have been cut loose like Manning was or given a good trade like Stafford was - he earned it.  They sent him to Jets against his will.  That was bull.    

If I was hired today by Packers I either give him his extension and trade Love or I promise him a trade next season with best efforts this year and see if that mollifies him.

Barring that I make best trade i can now.   Each day that goes by his trade value decreases and you risk something happening.   Texans never thought they wouldn't be able to trade Watson when they wanted to and when they were ready.

Rodgers could get hit by a bus tomorrow.  Who knows.