Days of Our Lives

dll2000

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Packers fans think he is being whiny, but I agree with him there.   You earn certain privileges with longevity and excellent play.  He isn't another grunt.   

I thought they jerked over Favre at end too.   Fine if you want to play Rodgers, but Favre should have been cut loose like Manning was or given a good trade like Stafford was - he earned it.  They sent him to Jets against his will.  That was bull.    

If I was hired today by Packers I either give him his extension and trade Love or I promise him a trade next season with best efforts this year and see if that mollifies him.

Packer Fans will think he's being whiny because he's a rich California guy playing in a very blue collar town whose never really engaged with them personally.  It like saying I love my neighbors but every time there's a neighborhood cook out you decline the invite.  They aren't his kind of people and they know that but if you're winning games they'll accept it.

Just the Packers doing what's best for the Packers.  When they're done with you these days they will throw you under the bus.  You know that old saying about absolute power corrupting absolutely?  That's the kind of power the Packer Corp. has up there.  Things have changed a lot since I lived there.

Ya' gonna put that promise in writing without any "weasel clauses" because you know Rodgers is not gonna trust a verbal assurance only.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soulman said:

Packer Fans will think he's being whiny because he's a rich California guy playing in a very blue collar town whose never really engaged with them personally.  It like saying I love my neighbors but every time there's a neighborhood cook out you decline the invite.  They aren't his kind of people and they know that but if you're winning games they'll accept it.

Just the Packers doing what's best for the Packers.  When they're done with you these days they will throw you under the bus.  You know that old saying about absolute power corrupting absolutely?  That's the kind of power the Packer Corp. has up there.  Things have changed a lot since I lived there.

Ya' gonna put that promise in writing without any "weasel clauses" because you know Rodgers is not gonna trust a verbal assurance only.

I don't know.  Seems they loved Rodgers when he is playing.  

Look at threads in their forum in the past.   If you went in there and said Rodgers is kind of a tool they swarmed you.   

They are mad now because he is talking hold out when they are close to a SB. 

I don't think it is because he is from California.

Would they love him more if he played at Wisconsin and loved GB?   Yeah.   

Do they love Favre more?   Probably.  Favre is a more likeable guy.   Rodgers is about as loveable as a cactus.  

• 4 weeks later...

Man, if Rodgers opted out that would have been so awesome.   In end he didn't want to go nuclear I guess.  

I now think he is going to cave and play.   He may sit out a week or two of training camp though.   He is likely doing the Favre thing now and just taking extra time for himself instead of going through dog days of camp.  

I am going to say I don't believe he is going to play at same level he did last year which was unbelievably good.   

Also going to say that Packers were stupid not to deal him pre-draft to Broncos.    They will never get that huge of a price again.   It's hard to sell high in sports.  People hardly ever want to pull that trigger.   Price for Rodgers will not be super high next off season.   He won't have MVP, he will be a year older and will have lost in playoffs yet again.  

Still Packers win the North again and lose in the playoffs.    I think realistically Bears are looking at 3rd behind Vikings and Pack and ahead of Detroit.

Going to be a roller coaster year.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:26 PM, dll2000 said:

I don't know.  Seems they loved Rodgers when he is playing.  

Look at threads in their forum in the past.   If you went in there and said Rodgers is kind of a tool they swarmed you.   

They are mad now because he is talking hold out when they are close to a SB. 

I don't think it is because he is from California.

Would they love him more if he played at Wisconsin and loved GB?   Yeah.   

Do they love Favre more?   Probably.  Favre is a more likeable guy.   Rodgers is about as loveable as a cactus.  

To be honest many Packer Fans have thought Rodgers was a tool but he was winning games, whipping up on the Bears, and taking therm to the playoffs every year so they chose to accept it and look the other way.  People in GB and the surrounding area have a tendency to do that with many things and staunchly defend their rights to be part time ostriches as long as they believe they're winning because of it.

Most are nice enough folks but very set in their ways with roots that extend to the bowels of the earth.

They'd even love a Bears fan like me if I was playing QB for the Packers and winning games but that would stop the minute the losing began or I had the balls to stand up and say I'm not playing here any longer which is where many of their heads are at right now.  Deep down they are a very fickle bunch overly spoiled by winning as much as they have for the past 30 years.  Many have never experienced a losing team.

My grandson believes Rodgers will play.  I believe he will not so we bet a buck on it....LOL.

Camp begins soon and I don't believe Rodgers will show up.  In fact, it's in his best interests not to because he would lose his leverage.

If Love bombs in camp and Bortles isn't any better (reference Bears 2020 camp with Mitch and Foles) they may give into his contract demands and he avoids most or all of the preseason entirely.  If they play well maybe Gutekunst gives in to Rodgers and trades him or they simply put him on the reserve did not report list and kick the can down the road.  But, I don't think Rodgers will file for retirement.

IMHO he has GB where he wants them leverage wise.  If he refuses to report they either have to pay him, trade him, or play the season without him having gotten nothing in return and no long term solution for the problem.  The only good outcome for GB is that Love quickly shows he also has the ability to dominate the NFCN and carry the team into the playoffs.  What are the odds on that?

Edited by soulman

30 minutes ago, soulman said:

To be honest many Packer Fans have thought Rodgers was a tool but he was winning games, whipping up on the Bears, and taking therm to the playoffs every year so they chose to accept it and look the other way.  People in GB and the surrounding area have a tendency to do that with many things and staunchly defend their rights to be part time ostriches as long as they believe they're winning because of it.

To be fair if Fields can whip the division and Green Bay like Rodgers has done to us, IDGAF if he has the likability and grasp of reality (well, lack of) of Gwyneth Paltrow. I'd rather hi, not be a total d-bag, but if we wanted nice guys with intangibles Tebow would have been in demand all these years. None of us are calling for him, right? lol

• Like 1

I'm taking ANYTHING GB fans say about ANY player with a large grain of salt. Especially QBs. Their fan base feel so entitled at this point that they will turn on ANYBODY at the drop of a dime. Don't speak bad about em when the QBs are doing good or otherwise you'll be met with a barrage of "your just hater". But the second said player has any animosity then toward the organization then it's suddenly "eff him, he's overrated, etc".

They did it with Favre and now their doing it with Rodgers. As a Bears fan, the sense of entitlement is extremely appalling to say the least. I can't wait until these pampered *** baby huggie wearing GB fans have to endure what it's like to not have a 1st ballot HOF QB every single year for nearly 3 decades.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To be fair if Fields can whip the division and Green Bay like Rodgers has done to us, IDGAF if he has the likability and grasp of reality (well, lack of) of Gwyneth Paltrow. I'd rather hi, not be a total d-bag, but if we wanted nice guys with intangibles Tebow would have been in demand all these years. None of us are calling for him, right? lol

I'm only commenting on what any number of Packer Fans have told me.  It may not have started out that way but their love affair with Mr. Rodgers has grown decidedly colder over time.  They may like him on the gridiron but off it their attitudes change drastically.  Added to that is their belief that he agreed to a contract they feel he should honor and not be looking for more money.

In today's NFL that may not be a realistic attitude since Rodgers is far from the first guy to ask for a bump mid-contract but many friends I still have there don't buy that.  They feel that if I guy quotes you $2k to build the deck you asked for he's not entitled to come back and ask for $3k later on just because it's taking longer to build or more lumber than he estimated initially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm taking ANYTHING GB fans say about ANY player with a large grain of salt. Especially QBs. Their fan base feel so entitled at this point that they will turn on ANYBODY at the drop of a dime. Don't speak bad about em when the QBs are doing good or otherwise you'll be met with a barrage of "your just hater". But the second said player has any animosity then toward the organization then it's suddenly "eff him, he's overrated, etc".

They did it with Favre and now their doing it with Rodgers. As a Bears fan, the sense of entitlement is extremely appalling to say the least. I can't wait until these pampered *** baby huggie wearing GB fans have to endure what it's like to not have a 1st ballot HOF QB every single year for nearly 3 decades.

You nailed it pretty well in paragraph one.  I have story to share.

While in GB my buddy John and I stopped into a bar he frequents often to get in on their game lotteries.  It was raining out so I'm wearing my Bears cap and Bears windbreaker (actually a gift from John).  He thinks I should at least take off my Bears cap while I think phuc it.  If I'm spending my money there I'll dress however I like and they can just deal with it.

Naturally I get accosted by a couple of Cheesies who I had to set straight about being born and raised a Bears fan in Chicago and even 15 plus years living around Green Bay didn't change that then nor would it change anything now.  The logic of that and my not being a traitor to the Tundra seemed to mollify them enough to move on and leave me alone.

But while standing at the bar I engaged in some conversation with two more Tundrans who say they don't care if Rodgers ever returns.  They think Jordon Love will become their third HOF QB in a row and that GB will continue to roll over NFCN opponents and others without a hitch just as Rodgers did when he replaced Favre.  Most illogical, as Spock would say.

I did point out that the odds against this as well as even after having been Favre's understudy for 3 seasons the Pack only went to 6-10 his first year as a starter.  But they weren't buying it.  It was the Bears suck and Fields isn't even good enough to have been a 1st round pick.  We shoulda drafted Jones instead.  Love will be a much better pro QB than Fields.

I could probably tell you all quite a bit about their political persuasion too but I restrained myself then just as I'm gonna do now.....LOL.

Based on their ages my guess is one was still in diapers the last time the Packers stacked up losing seasons and the other may have been in pre-school.  They truly believe the Packers are blessed with an uncanny knack for acquiring HOF QBs and if not for Tom Brady the Pack would have won multiple SBs with Rodgers even those they never made it to like 2020. 🙄

It's great to be proud of your team and it's history but there's also a fine line between pride and arrogance as well as a very defined one between fact and fiction and fantasy and reality.  Based on my take they live on the far side of all of those lines from where I live so I left them with their own point of view and a brief comment about cycles I knew they wouldn't buy either.

They can be a very different bunch up there and like someone else we know they hate to lose and will seldom if ever admit they may be wrong.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I think Tebow would have been an interesting QB had Denver been willing to treat Tebow as Baltimore treated Jackson.

Jackson is far more explosive runner, but Tebow was great at moving sticks and short yardage.   They are both bad passers for NFL level.  Really bad.   

Elway was not about that plan though and neither was anyone else at time.   To be fair this was before Chip Kelly popularized the college run game with the West Coast offense in the NFL.

When they got Manning and McDaniels got booted it became a moot point.   Anyone else though and fans wanted Tebow back at time.

Fascinating little period in NFL history.

Tebow jersey, two versions!, was still number one this offseason.   

Crazy how  many people love that guy and how many people hate him as well.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think Tebow would have been an interesting QB had Denver been willing to treat Tebow as Baltimore treated Jackson.

Jackson is far more explosive runner, but Tebow was great at moving sticks and short yardage.   They are both bad passers for NFL level.  Really bad.   

Elway was not about that plan though and neither was anyone else at time.   To be fair this was before Chip Kelly popularized the college run game with the West Coast offense in the NFL.

When they got Manning and McDaniels got booted it became a moot point.   Anyone else though and fans wanted Tebow back at time.

IIRC they refashioned the offense enough to win and make a playoff game with him under Fox of all things but I agree that Elway wasn't in favor on continuing along that path even though fans were supporting it.  But once Manning came along all of that was forgotten.

Personally I hope he can make the Jags roster as a TE but at age 33 he's got a lot going against it.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever know what Tebow could have become. You see people all over the place saying he was garbage...but he clearly wasn't. Denver started the Tebow experiment then almost immediately pulled the plug on it. The places he went on to were not at all interested at tooling an offense to Tebow's strengths. It'll always be a big WHAT IF?...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I've said the same. I wish they would have let Tebow sit behind Manning. He had a somewhat rabid fanbase, but no one is calling for Tebow to start over Manning. That allows Tebow to learn from Manning and gives McCoy and Gase the time McDaniels initially wanted to fix his horrid mechanics. Like you said, he wasn't a good passer but becoming an average passer with his running ability would have made him a solid starter IMO. Seemed like a compete win for the team. Oh well.

• Like 1