Days of Our Lives

dll2000

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever know what Tebow could have become. You see people all over the place saying he was garbage...but he clearly wasn't. Denver started the Tebow experiment then almost immediately pulled the plug on it. The places he went on to were not at all interested at tooling an offense to Tebow's strengths. It'll always be a big WHAT IF?...

At that time no one seemed interested in tooling up to run a college style offense with a pro QB whose best historical comparison may have been Bobby Douglass.  On top of that few could have coached it so IMHO any success Tebow have eventually had represented a threat at that level as well as for the front office if it failed.  The NFL isn't exactly overflowing with major risk takers. 

But I will still say that overall Tim Tebow was not anywhere near as good as McDaniel imagined he might be.  IMHO it was mostly an ego trip for him doing what others said couldn't be done.

Edited by soulman

15 hours ago, soulman said:

At that time no one seemed interested in tooling up to run a college style offense with a pro QB whose best historical comparison may have been Bobby Douglass.  On top of that few could have coached it so IMHO any success Tebow have eventually had represented a threat at that level as well as for the front office if it failed.  The NFL isn't exactly overflowing with major risk takers. 

But I will still say that overall Tim Tebow was not anywhere near as good as McDaniel imagined he might be.  IMHO it was mostly an ego trip for him doing what others said couldn't be done.

Well, I don't know...

I mean...he took his team to the playoffs. Then helped them beat a MUCH superior squad to advance. After that, Denver said, "We don't want anymore of this sort of thing." 

Which seems a bit weird, to me. But whatever. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, I don't know...

I mean...he took his team to the playoffs. Then helped them beat a MUCH superior squad to advance. After that, Denver said, "We don't want anymore of this sort of thing." 

Beat us too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, I don't know...

IIRC as best I can from out of memory and an alcoholic haze at the time Orton had failed to impress as Orton often did and fans screamed for Tebow even threatening to boycott games unless he played.  So with Fox as HC his OC (McCoy I believe) told him "I got this" and came up with a jerry rigged offense Tebow could handle.

I'm not certain anyone knew exactly how to defend against what the Broncos were running with Tebow because there wasn't much game video to go on and no one else was running anything like it.  Essentially Tebow and McCoy were able to win against some under prepared defenses who weren't schemed to stop the "Tebow attack".

But I believe history has recorded that after awhile they all caught on and that was the end of that.  How it all may have changed had anyone been willing to fashion their offense around Tebow as Urban Meyer (I think he was his college coach) did we'll never know but what we do know is that much like Douglass as a pure passer Tebow sucked.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 1:15 PM, dll2000 said:

I think Tebow would have been an interesting QB had Denver been willing to treat Tebow as Baltimore treated Jackson.

Interesting, but still terrible. Is that what you mean?

Tebow had the one of the slowest releases in history, had terrible footwork, couldn't read a blitz, couldn't digest a playbook, didn't understand OL reads to get on the same page with his OL, and couldn't read a defense to save his life. He was terrible.

They are certain intangibles that can be taught and ironed out in the NFL through good coaching and better prep, but there are levels to this.

Tebow was never a good passer, and that was never going to change. Could it have been better with a better staff....sure but how much better? Going from terrible to bad is still not acceptable, even with the best staff, which is why teams stop signing him.

Tebow and Jackson are not a good comparison by any means whatsoever in any capacity. Tebow was one of those QBs that just didn't have it no matter what team he signed to or who coached him. I can't say the same for Jackson and I'm not a big fan of him either.

• Like 2

Tebow was the fullest expression of "backup QB pops onto field, wins a game" ever. He had skills, but most of them weren't the ones needed for QB.  To the casual fan it's easy to miss how much preparation an NFL defense does for what tehy're expecting the opposing offense to do, so it's funny sometimes how "different but not better" can have a lot of success midgame or mid season.  Recall 2018 when the Bears had actual success on offense before everyone figured out the QB couldn't count. Fun to play "what might have been" games with players but I would guess that "tight end" is still Tebow's ceiling at QB. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Retorted without comment  lol

49ers-first-qb-in-nfl-history-with-5-sac

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18202774/colin-kaepernick-benched-san-francisco-49ers-fourth-quarter-vs-chicago-bears

Kaepernick, who entered the game having thrown for more yards in the past four games than in any four-game stretch in his career, struggled mightily in the cold and snow of Soldier Field.

At the time the Niners pulled him for Gabbert, Kaepernick was 1-of-5 passing for 4 yards, with no touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 39.6.

The Niners spent last week practicing in the 85-degree temperatures of Orlando, leaving them to struggle in the cold and wet conditions of Soldier Field. Kaepernick, in particular, had trouble getting the ball out quickly and accurately.

"I think the weather was something that definitely played a factor," Kaepernick said. "We have to be able to do a better job managing that, handling it, being able to throw the ball still.

not his fault he went up against the juggernaut that was the john fox bears. also, a fun tidbit i noticed - Kaep's QB coach that season? Ryan Day - current HC of OSU

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18202774/colin-kaepernick-benched-san-francisco-49ers-fourth-quarter-vs-chicago-bears

not his fault he went up against the juggernaut that was the john fox bears. also, a fun tidbit i noticed - Kaep's QB coach that season? Ryan Day - current HC of OSU

True. He wasn't the first QB to get owned by a Fox-led Bears team. He was one of the few, but not the first. lol

Actually a really cool tidbit.

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

The commentray is all in how the cameriaman framed that.  Love the close up of the ball as it flops around on the turf. Seems to say "and even the ball knew this guy is full of suck, even the ball"  Works if you hear it in Morgan Freeman's voice. 

Well...doesn't anything work if Morgan Freeman is saying it? 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Well...doesn't anything work if Morgan Freeman is saying it? 😁

On that particular throw I might prefer Samuel L. Jackson.

Something like "Now tell me.  What kinda worthless mother****** throw was that.  You call yourself a mother****** Quarterback.  Hell, you ain't no mother****** Quarterback.  Gimme the football and go sit your mother****** *** down."

• Like 2