Your 'initial' assessment of the Draft

DWhitehurst

22 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

BUT!  Does Rodgers do the self scout thing and improve himself if Aiyuk is the pick.

There is a reasonable belief that picking Love fueled Rodgers rebirth.

I have a hard time with that narrative. It’s not saying Rodgers didn’t have a chip on his shoulder about his possible replacement being drafted but I believe he would have balled out in his second year with LaFleur no matter what. He is a competitor and wants to light it up every time he’s on the field. I have no idea how much control he wants/ is given to him but he seems to have a great relationship with Hackett and LaFluer and they value his input which is wise beyond just making AR happy, he sees a lot more than most.

I still don’t believe he will leave this year but there are obviously more than just minor issues. Even if Love is eventually good as a succession plan, it will be tough to let Rodgers go.  He’s still got some great football left to play. 

*back to draft talk, SF spent time building their lines and making Saleh’s defense great before getting Deebo and then later Aiyuk. Strong and YAC monster receivers are killers in this type of offense but they are the cherry on top rather than the foundation. 

Edited by Refugee

I think Rodgers being the 2nd year of MLF's offense is infinitely more responsible for his MVP season than the selection of Love. In fact, it's one of the same factors why the Love pick was a head-scratcher for me. The Packers had to think/know Rodgers was going to be more comfortable in year 2 of the system right? That's pretty much how it works for QBs in the NFL, especially the good ones. 

On 5/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, Packerraymond said:

Sounds like Gutey liked Rodgers best out of that group.

C'mon man, you're not this dense. Of course Gutey is going to say A. Rodgers was the guy he wanted all along...because he's the guy we drafted. When is the last time, ever in the history of Packers drafts, you've heard the GM say "well we really wanted this guy, but we didn't get him so we went with this guy." Same with Aiyuk last season, when he got snatched up right before pick 26. You think for a second Gute would ever admit he wanted Aiyuk and SF snagged him? No one knows unless you're in the war room, especially because those guys came off the board before we picked. 

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

C'mon man, you're not this dense. Of course Gutey is going to say A. Rodgers was the guy he wanted all along...because he's the guy we drafted. When is the last time, ever in the history of Packers drafts, you've heard the GM say "well we really wanted this guy, but we didn't get him so we went with this guy." Same with Aiyuk last season, when he got snatched up right before pick 26. You think for a second Gute would ever admit he wanted Aiyuk and SF snagged him? No one knows unless you're in the war room, especially because those guys came off the board before we picked. 

What are you talking about? All those guys I listed were on the board in the 2nd when we picked Myers. Gutey said immediately he started trying to trade back up for Rodgers. Let's do some simple deductive reasoning, Gutey liked Rodgers the best of all WRs on the board in Rd 2.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He literally traded up for him.

You are OBSESSED with WRs lol. Just follow the evidence, man.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Evidence indicates otherwise. Like the actual words Rodgers said about his offseason lol

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Rodgers has been on record numerous times talking about how much more efficient the offense was in year 2 under MLF. Rodgers' play certainly correlates to that as well. 

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He literally traded up for him.

You are OBSESSED with WRs lol. Just follow the evidence, man.

Not obsessed with anything. I just think it's funny that I shouldn't trust Ian Rapaport or just about every other NFL analyst and insider who has repeatedly said that GB was targeting (or at least highly considering) a few of these guys, but I should instead trust posters on a fan forum who seem to know without a doubt we were never considering them...

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What are you talking about? All those guys I listed were on the board in the 2nd when we picked Myers. Gutey said immediately he started trying to trade back up for Rodgers. Let's do some simple deductive reasoning, Gutey liked Rodgers the best of all WRs on the board in Rd 2.

I read "that group" to include Toney and Bateman from your post. If you only meant ARSB and Brown, then I can see that. 

I'll add that I'm all-in on the Rodgers pick. Don't think he's an "Ervin" replacement either. Dude is talented no matter where you line him up and his football IQ is way ahead of the curve. I think he has a big year as a rookie if given the reps. 

Edited by packfanfb

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Rodgers has been on record numerous times talking about how much more efficient the offense was in year 2 under MLF. Rodgers' play certainly correlates to that as well. 

Rodgers admitted he watched a lot more tape of himself and re-commited himself to his craft after the Love pick.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers admitted he watched a lot more tape of himself and re-commited himself to his craft after the Love pick.

but he would have done that anyway....you know, year 2 in the offense and his 16th in the NFL.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not obsessed with anything. I just think it's funny that I shouldn't trust Ian Rapaport or just about every other NFL analyst and insider who has repeatedly said that GB was targeting (or at least highly considering) a few of these guys, but I should instead trust posters on a fan forum who seem to know without a doubt we were never considering them...

Considering is very very different than "targeting". GB "considers" every prospect. That they haven't drafted a WR in 1st round more than once in 30 years is telling.

I trust the evidence. Gute happily and readily trades up for players he wants. So, no. There's zero reason to believe he was "targeting" a first round WR. We know this because he didn't take one when he's shown he's not shy about moving up for someone he actually IS targeting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

but he would have done that anyway....you know, year 2 in the offense and his 16th in the NFL.   

old habits can be hard to break. IIRC, part of it was that the language had changed and he had to almost completely reset his terminology when calling the play in the huddle.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I do recall that he talked about re-examining his own game, making some changes, yes. I guess the question is whether he did that because Jordan Love was picked or just improve his own game. I just don't see it as, Love was picked and therefore, Rodgers did things to motivate himself or make himself better. Maybe it was because of Love, who knows. In either event, I still think the biggest catalyst of his superb year was being in year 2 of the offense. Similar result to Matt Ryan's 2016 season in year 2 of that offense when MLF was the QB coach. 

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

old habits can be hard to break. IIRC, part of it was that the language had changed and he had to almost completely reset his terminology when calling the play in the huddle.

unfortunately the sarcasm went right over your head

• Like 1