Your 'initial' assessment of the Draft

DWhitehurst

This isn't Gutes best draft, that is the 2020 draft that will go down as one of the greatest of all time in the history of the NFL. This draft is one of his 3 or 4 best of all time. That is all. 

• Like 1

Mixed feelings for me.  I don't think that this was a bad class for us, but I think that all three of our division rivals got better hauls than we did.  I am certainly no expert, and I hope we just drafted 9 HOFers.

I like Stokes.  He will more than likely be a full time starter next season, and will probably get a few starts this season when Kevin King inevitably gets injured.  I kind of like that he won't get a full-on baptism in fire this season.  I am hoping for a Sam Shields type with Stokes' speed.

Myers I think solidifies the interior OL group.  Between Jenkins, Patrick, and Myers we have 2 guards and a center.  

Rodgers is hopefully what we wanted Ervin and Austin to be.  I think the Ty Montgomery comparisons are pretty good.  He also returns kicks, which we desperately need.

I'll combine Newman and Van Lanen.  I think there were better options for tackles in this draft that we missed out on, and I think I would rather have those players over our earlier selections too.  This is the most disappointing part of the draft to me.  But they have the body type, and our coaches did well last season.

TJ Slaton is a very large man. If he can play, that is great.  We need to get more from our DL, he should have a chance to get snaps if he can play.

Jean-Charles is a special teams guy.  Maybe he plays slot corner in the future.

I don't think Isiah McDuffie brings anything to the table that we don't already have on the roster.  Perhaps he beats out Summers or Burks and saves the team some money.

I don't see what the rest of you guys see in Kylin Hill.  I saw a guy that jumped a lot in his highlights.  I really prefer last year's UDFA Patrick Taylor for the 3rd RB spot.

The fact that the Bears, Lions, and Vikings got: Jenkins, Sewell, and Darrisaw respectively while we got Newman really chaps my ***.  I would have liked another WR, but the board does what the board does.  Overall I'm fine with this draft class.  I will be more excited when preseason nears and we can see them on the field.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Mixed feelings for me.  I don't think that this was a bad class for us, but I think that all three of our division rivals got better hauls than we did.  I am certainly no expert, and I hope we just drafted 9 HOFers.

I like Stokes.  He will more than likely be a full time starter next season, and will probably get a few starts this season when Kevin King inevitably gets injured.  I kind of like that he won't get a full-on baptism in fire this season.  I am hoping for a Sam Shields type with Stokes' speed.

Myers I think solidifies the interior OL group.  Between Jenkins, Patrick, and Myers we have 2 guards and a center.  

Rodgers is hopefully what we wanted Ervin and Austin to be.  I think the Ty Montgomery comparisons are pretty good.  He also returns kicks, which we desperately need.

I'll combine Newman and Van Lanen.  I think there were better options for tackles in this draft that we missed out on, and I think I would rather have those players over our earlier selections too.  This is the most disappointing part of the draft to me.  But they have the body type, and our coaches did well last season.

TJ Slaton is a very large man. If he can play, that is great.  We need to get more from our DL, he should have a chance to get snaps if he can play.

Jean-Charles is a special teams guy.  Maybe he plays slot corner in the future.

I don't think Isiah McDuffie brings anything to the table that we don't already have on the roster.  Perhaps he beats out Summers or Burks and saves the team some money.

I don't see what the rest of you guys see in Kylin Hill.  I saw a guy that jumped a lot in his highlights.  I really prefer last year's UDFA Patrick Taylor for the 3rd RB spot.

The fact that the Bears, Lions, and Vikings got: Jenkins, Sewell, and Darrisaw respectively while we got Newman really chaps my ***.  I would have liked another WR, but the board does what the board does.  Overall I'm fine with this draft class.  I will be more excited when preseason nears and we can see them on the field.

But doesn’t that come with drafting 29/30 every round?

lions got Sewell because they are terrible. Is he a great LT, sure but by the time they are good enough to take advantage of it he will be like an 8 year veteran.

As for the bears and vikings again they were drafting in the teens/20th. They are bound to get some good players and players that fall.

Green Bay is only going to get that type of treatment when they stop making the playoffs, or they have to be willing to give up a ton of capital to move up.

Edited by Green19

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

But doesn’t that come with drafting 29/30 every round?

lions got Sewell because they are terrible. Is he a great LT, sure but by the time they are good enough to take advantage of it he will be like an 8 year veteran.

As for the bears and vikings again they were drafting in the teens/20th. They are bound to get some good players and players that fall.

Green Bay is only going to get that type of treatment when they stop making the playoffs, or they have to be willing to give up a ton of capital to move up.

In part it does.  They didn't make the usual mistakes though.  I still don't know if I don't like the overall class, or how the board fell to the Packers.  I'm not too pumped up with this draft.  

From an untrained, ignorant fan and all I got is what the media and draftnicks say, I would define this draft as we got the right needs but got the wrong players. Each time we picked there were players I prefered for the position that we picked. Like I say I take that with a large grian of salt as who am I over an NFL team with scouts etc.

I really liked what Carolina did, they picked similar positions of need that we required and if we picked the same players but before they did I would have been over the moon:
Marshall WR, Christensen OT, Nixon DT, Keith Taylor CB,  Deonte Brown OG, Shi Smith WR.

Also really liked what Tampa did from the 3rd round on:
Hainsey OT, Darden WR, K.J. Britt ILB, Chris Wilcox CB, Grant Stuard ILB

It is more the guys that we got I never really heard of which is not necessarily a bad thing but from a fan experience point most of my picks made me go 'why him?'

I hope we can get a little cap space sorted and get a DT like Jurrell or if we createa bit more cap space Richardson and worst case get Snacks back again. Get Veldheer back. Also sign Patrick Onwuasor.

28 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

From an untrained, ignorant fan and all I got is what the media and draftnicks say, I would define this draft as we got the right needs but got the wrong players. Each time we picked there were players I prefered for the position that we picked. Like I say I take that with a large grian of salt as who am I over an NFL team with scouts etc.

I really liked what Carolina did, they picked similar positions of need that we required and if we picked the same players but before they did I would have been over the moon:
Marshall WR, Christensen OT, Nixon DT, Keith Taylor CB,  Deonte Brown OG, Shi Smith WR.

Also really liked what Tampa did from the 3rd round on:
Hainsey OT, Darden WR, K.J. Britt ILB, Chris Wilcox CB, Grant Stuard ILB

It is more the guys that we got I never really heard of which is not necessarily a bad thing but from a fan experience point most of my picks made me go 'why him?'

I hope we can get a little cap space sorted and get a DT like Jurrell or if we createa bit more cap space Richardson and worst case get Snacks back again. Get Veldheer back. Also sign Patrick Onwuasor.

I think the perfect example of this idea is Creed vs. Myers. But when you really look at what GB wants and trying to do... it makes sense.

if we had McCarthy as our HC and that offense... the pick would be Creed 10/10 times. With LaFleur they want to run and run and run. Myers was miles ahead of Creed and creed had issues moving guys and driving them. But he was better at mirroring and pass protection then Myers.

Plus Gute is pushing for just all around larger team. Creed isn’t that... Myers is. Gute clearly wants to walk of the bus and have people go... “ oh my god, that team is full of ***ing monsters”. A 6’5” center helps that cause.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Throw out the Myers pick and this is another “for the future” draft.

Stokes could well be CB3 in which case he will be a significant player this season.  You have mentioned Myers and Rodgers could well be a factor this season. You don't expect your day 3 guys to do much in their rookie year.

Just because we didn't draft an OT doesn't mean it another “for the future” draft. Nobody knows how it will turn out but we may get decent year 1 output here.

This is exactly the draft I wanted. Guys who addressed needs and could contribute on day 1.

Stokes is the type of prospect I’d gamble on all day. Very smart player, loves the game, premium athlete , size, production at a high level. You really can’t complain about this .

We lost an all-pro C last year and a serviceable starter at G this off-season . We needed a guy to step in . By all accounts it seems like Myers is likely to start week 1. 

Rodgers is a different type of WR we didn’t have who will play the slot, field kicks and do the rest of the Ervin role. He’s going to get significant snaps early .

I wanted a big run stuffer and I doubt there’s much bigger than Slaton. Seems like he needs to take the game more serious, but idk , he must’ve passed our character evaluation. This guy isn’t going to have any trouble taking up space . 

4 guys who play positions of need/weakness , who will all probably significant snaps. Solid, solid draft. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, R T said:

This isn't Gutes best draft, that is the 2020 draft that will go down as one of the greatest of all time in the history of the NFL. This draft is one of his 3 or 4 best of all time. That is all. 

How can you say that a day after?  I know this is Football's Future but until we see them on the field there is no way to know what we really have.

• Like 1

Felt like a "needs" draft.  Positionally and by design.

We drafted at the bottom of the board and needed an infusion of cheap players - so we gave up few draft picks to move up into the upper areas where more "names" and/or "stars" were coming off the board.  I think it was a shallow draft in terms of talent depth - so by waiting for players to fall to us - we missed out on some guys - or in my case specifically - some names that I recognized. I did squat with regard to advance research - so you're not reading an informed opinion.

We filled the slots we needed to fill and hopefully we can coach them up to be productive for us.

I like the packing of the OL. If the talent evals are on target (and the talent is actually there....) we'll be good to go in that area for awhile. Check that off as a good thing.  I like the add of A.Rodgers. MLF and his schemes will make him a weapon for us. Would have liked to get a "name" WR - but how good they actually are versus just a name I read about.....I cant say. So we'll have to see about that position group. RB3 sounds like a player - good.

Havent gotten up to speed on the UDFAs we've signed. Hopefully there's some talent there as well.

We shall see.

Edited by Leader

I'm still digesting over our decisions in the draft. Not surprisingly like many of us there were some I liked and some I did not.

I have absolutely no problems drafting Stokes. We needed another corner and unfortunately it meant burning ANOTHER 1st round pick which quite frankly is getting a bit tiresome. We missed out on alot of good players over the years because we were unable to resolve our corner issues. Anyway I like Eric Stokes. Love his length, speed and high upside. I'm concerned by his footwork which is necessary to enable better positioning and change of direction. I really hope he does improve on that aspect of his game otherwise he will quickly become a bust. He's not going to stop a damn thing unless he sorts his footwork out. His tackling is a bit iffy too.

I was very surprised to have drafted a centre this early in the draft. Its not the Packers MO when it comes to interior OL. In any case solidifying the centre spot was always a priority coming into the draft and we have attempted to address it. At the back of my mind I knew LaFleur will have wanted OL over 6'5" based on our tendency to bring in tall  OL since he joined the Packers. Myers fits this perfectly and in fact he is one of the tallest centres in the draft. Watching all the OT and Guards flying off the board meant drafting one of the best centres available was probably the only thing we could do to immediately improve our OL. I have absolutely no problems with this pick. To be honest before the draft I would've been fine using Patrick as a temporary solution at centre and focus on drafting at other positions of weakness such as the DL or WR but this is the way the Packers chose to go and I cant argue with that. Gute said he was looking to draft a LB earlier in the draft and I can't help but wonder if we were targeting some LB here in the 2nd round. JOK was falling and he would've been a great fit for us but unfortunately he got nabbed.

By the time the 3rd round spun around I was getting pessimistic with our ability to upgrade our WR group. Lots of WRs have been drafted by then. I never stopped to consider the possibility of drafting a different type of WR to compliment with what we've already got rather than getting a brand new big WR opposite Adams. By drafting Rodgers we've actually improved our WR group but in a different and more subtle way. I love the fact he's built like a RB because it enables us to move him around and he also has enough speed to provide us with another deep threat. We now got a nice blend of receivers who can offer different things. Enjoy it for one more year because we're not going to keep them all. For me I think he was the best pick of our draft.

I was fairly satisfied with our first three picks and they all should contribute immediately. Can't complain at all.

At this point my knowledge of players drastically started to wane. We still had a lot of needs such as OT, DT, LB and Star. Drafting an OT and a DL with our next two picks I was fine with but what I wasn't fine with was the fact we triple dipped AGAIN. I hate triple dipping.  We drafted 3 OL last year and drafted 2 more this year, surely that's enough. Getting another one was just overkill and completely ignores depth issues in other positions. When you get tunnel vision on a specific position we end up missing out on drafting potentially good players in other positions.

There were some un-Gute like picks such as Jean-Charles. He is the complete opposite of Stokes and with MUCH better footwork, He was the 30th CB taken in the draft and i'm not even counting the safeties. I was surprised Gute felt there was still a CB out there good enough to draft. He had a pair of 5th rounders which he could've used one of them to trade up in the 4th to as high as the Patriots #120 pick but that didn't happen. I'm not convinced Jean-Charles will actually improve our STs, he's not particularly fast or strong which is what you need to have as a gunner. He will certainly provide competition for Hollman, Sullivan and Jackson in nickle and dime packages.

I'm not jumping for joy at our 5th/6th round picks. The only one i'm pleased about is Slaton as we really needed to add some depth to our DL. Getting a big dude who can move is definitely worth drafting but motor and weight issues gives me pause. Guys with motor issues almost never work out and I hope he is not one of them.

I was not surprised at drafting a RB with our final pick. LaFleur likes to have a good stable of RBs on his roster, the running game is a big part of his offensive identity. We didn't have a like for like backup for Jones so I thought perhaps we might look to draft someone in that mold and we did with Hill. However I was surprised at seeing a player of Hill's quality in the 7th. I was watching his highlight tape and came away thinking that is NOT a 7th rounder. Sure he's not the speediest and tends to fall/jump at the goalline instead of staying on his feet but he has good movement and some receiving ability. There's definitely things for us to work with.

Another year of failing to address the star position. When you play nickle as much as we do you NEED someone good there who is fast enough to cover and also hold up against the run. It has become one of the most important positions in the NFL and we completely ignore it. We passed over the likes of Deion Jones and Derwin James in past drafts. Tried to compensate and failed with Josh Jones and Oren Burks. We papered over the cracks with Greene. We haven't dealt with this position well at all. We unnecessarily triple dipped several times in past drafts and we could've used at least one of those picks on nabbing this particular type of player. I'm hoping our UDFA Uphoff will be able to show something for us there. He looks a little thin hipped to hold up against the run though. I was hoping for someone with a more stockier build. This position looks like is going to be filled by an UDFA or an late rounder this year. It could be any one of Uphoff, Scott, Wilborn, Gaines and Black. I hope we will find someone good.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Stokes could well be CB3 in which case he will be a significant player this season.  You have mentioned Myers and Rodgers could well be a factor this season. You don't expect your day 3 guys to do much in their rookie year.

Just because we didn't draft an OT doesn't mean it another “for the future” draft. Nobody knows how it will turn out but we may get decent year 1 output here.

Uh...yeah it does. We still have just Bakh who's coming off an ACL that he suffered late in the season, Billy Turner who was EXPOSED at LT, and Yosh Nijman who was a UDFA and we don't know much about what we have in him. We're going to be touch-n-go at that position all year and with Jordan Love most likely starting anyway, expect our WR's to do very little this year and our RB's to shoulder much of the load. We're going to be the Vikings circa 2012 on offense...