Your 'initial' assessment of the Draft

DWhitehurst

58 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Think people here are selling Amari pretty short.  If he only plays the Ervin role this year it'll be a disappointment in my eyes.  Looks more like an instant contributor in the passing game, especially given how good the rest of the receiver group is at blocking.  Hit him behind Lazard in the flats, then when people start biting on that hit em on a wheel route behind the coverage.  Guy might look like a RB but he's a natural hands catcher and his routes are very clean.  In this offense he's gonna get lost a lot in coverage and he's got the rest of the game to make em pay.

His hands make his catch radius deceptively big.

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

1 WR in 30 years in the first round

Any reports that suggest GB was targeting one make zero sense to me.

I swear this happens ever hear lol

You'd think if it were EVER true we'd have drafted one by now.

If they truly wanted Bateman he would be a Packer today. He went 2 picks before them and they had to know the Ravens were a strong possibility to select him. Gutes traded up for Love to make sure he got his guy, yet he didn't trade up for Bateman. Should be pretty plain to see to everyone. Gutes traded up for Amari Rodgers, giving up more than what the value chart says they should have to making sure he got his guy. Why, because Gutes wanted Rodgers and not Bateman.     

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R T said:

If they truly wanted Bateman he would be a Packer today. He went 2 picks before them and they had to know the Ravens were a strong possibility to select him. Gutes traded up for Love to make sure he got his guy, yet he didn't trade up for Bateman. Should be pretty plain to see to everyone. Gutes traded up for Amari Rodgers, giving up more than what the value chart says they should have to making sure he got his guy. Why, because Gutes wanted Rodgers and not Bateman.     

Were you in the war room with Gutey when these moves went down? Maybe Gute had 1st round grades on both Stokes and Bateman, and therefore, was willing to sit tight, not give up a pick and take whoever was left. Whether Bateman was the 1a or Stokes was the 1a at the time, Gute would probably have been satisfied with either one of them. Moreover, Elijah Moore was still on the board when the Ravens picked and given their proclivity to like small/faster WRs, it was just as likely they take Moore as Bateman. Comparing that situation to Amari is apples and oranges given that, if you believe Gute, he had a 2nd round grade on Amari and thus wanted to move up and get him in the 3rd. Same with the Love situation, which we've discussed ad nauseam, Gute basically said Love was the only guy left who he they had a 1st round grade on so then moved up and took him. Doesn't change the fact that there were other guys they probably wanted (maybe more than Love) who were gone by 26 (i.e. Jefferson and Aiyuk). 

Least we've moved on from ripping our GM for not taking the ILB we were supposedly in on.

The only WR I buy we were in on is Jefferson, that's because he had some special big slot tendencies you cannot find every year, he was rare.

The Packers were not using a 1st round pick on Aiyuk, Toney or Bateman. There was no qualities there you couldn't have got from Amari Rodgers, Amon Ra St Brown or Dyami Brown, which is who made it to our 2nd rounder, when we like to take our WRs. Sounds like Gutey liked Rodgers best out of that group.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Were you in the war room with Gutey when these moves went down? Maybe Gute had 1st round grades on both Stokes and Bateman, and therefore, was willing to sit tight, not give up a pick and take whoever was left. Whether Bateman was the 1a or Stokes was the 1a at the time, Gute would probably have been satisfied with either one of them. Moreover, Elijah Moore was still on the board when the Ravens picked and given their proclivity to like small/faster WRs, it was just as likely they take Moore as Bateman. Comparing that situation to Amari is apples and oranges given that, if you believe Gute, he had a 2nd round grade on Amari and thus wanted to move up and get him in the 3rd. Same with the Love situation, which we've discussed ad nauseam, Gute basically said Love was the only guy left who he they had a 1st round grade on so then moved up and took him. Doesn't change the fact that there were other guys they probably wanted (maybe more than Love) who were gone by 26 (i.e. Jefferson and Aiyuk). 

If believing every year that the Packers are trying to draft a WR in the 1st round helps you sleep at night, well keep believing. Gutes trades up for Alexander, trades up for Savage, trades up for Love, Gutes trades up every time he wants a player, yet he just has bad luck when it comes to getting that WR in the 1st round. Ok there Buddy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, R T said:

If believing every year that the Packers are trying to draft a WR in the 1st round helps you sleep at night, well keep believing. Gutes trades up for Alexander, trades up for Savage, trades up for Love, Gutes trades up every time he wants a player, yet he just has bad luck when it comes to getting that WR in the 1st round. Ok there Buddy.

Couldn't have said it any better myself...

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Least we've moved on from ripping our GM for not taking the ILB we were supposedly in on.

The only WR I buy we were in on is Jefferson, that's because he had some special big slot tendencies you cannot find every year, he was rare.

The Packers were not using a 1st round pick on Aiyuk, Toney or Bateman. There was no qualities there you couldn't have got from Amari Rodgers, Amon Ra St Brown or Dyami Brown, which is who made it to our 2nd rounder, when we like to take our WRs. Sounds like Gutey liked Rodgers best out of that group.

Don't even get me going on that one...

Given how ILB's are used these days, we're set at the position TBH. Martin showed up last season and proved his knee injury was behind him, we hit a home run with Barnes in UDFA, and Summers showed at least some sort of improvement along with Randy Ramsey who was moved inside and out last season. 

I honestly think when all is said and done, Amari Rodgers will have the better career than Aiyuk, Toney, Bateman, and ARSB; Dyami's a bit overrated but has some nice traits TBH. Justin Jefferson benefitted greatly from Thielen being the WR1 and Minny running the ball more often than not.

You might be interested in the Packers draft recap, by long-time Packers fan Pigskin Paul (GreatBlueNorth) on the DeepFriedDraft show.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRKjBvPrBwKw

His likes were the same as mine (best earlier pick = WR Amari Rodgers Rd3), (best overall pick = RB Kylin Hill Rd7).
He really didn't like the round 6 pick T/G Van Lanen. Overall, not very sexy choices. He gave a shout-out to two rookie FA's (see below). Scouting report from NFL guy Lance Zierlein.

S Christian Uphoff  6'2", 209 Illinois St.
Versatile safety prospect with the size, play strength and coverage ability to be deployed in a variety of positions. He's a plus athlete with above-average length and a playmaker's mindset. He has the foot quickness and anticipation to handle man coverage and contest catches underneath or handle split safety duties, where his awareness and athleticism benefit him. Tape shows an instinctive player who can be a little inconsistent in responding to what he sees. He's tough and physical enough to cover tight ends and play near the line of scrimmage in run support. His angles to the football and inconsistencies as an open-field tackler are a little concerning, but he should be an early backup with the upside to develop into a starter.

Overview Jack Heflin 6'3", 304 N.Illinois.
Self-made interior lineman who began his career as a walk-on and finished as a four-year starter with his final chapter at a Power Five program. Heflin is low-cut and country strong with a wide frame carrying short arms. He's capable of handling himself in one-on-one scraps with his quick hands and strength at the point of attack, but doesn't have the technique to deal with double-teams just yet. He can bend and move, but struggles to make plays through block engagements. He is going to play hard as a rusher, but lacks NFL traits to make much of a difference in that category. His size and strength give him a puncher's chance, but it's tough finding a clean positional fit for him.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

16 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why do you say that about Aiyuk? Weren’t there reports suggesting he was someone we were targeting ? 

18 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why do you say that about Aiyuk? Weren’t there reports suggesting he was someone we were targeting ? 

Yeah there's always smoke and rumors before and after the draft. We don't even use 1st round picks on pro-ready WRs, why would we ever use a 1st on a raw, gadget type WR??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah there's always smoke and rumors before and after the draft. We don't even use 1st round picks on pro-ready WRs, why would we ever use a 1st on a raw, gadget type WR??

Revisionist theory.  What if.....

San Fran selects Love, we get Aiyuk.  (Just go with me on this.)

San Fran then doesn't have to trade up in the draft, as they have their QB of the future on the roster behind Jimmy G.

GB makes all the talking heads happy because we got a WR in round one.  Rodgers is happy.  Redoes his deal this off-season to create space and get set up to retire as a Packer.

Let's face it, the situation we are in is all because of San Francisco!

• Like 3

Sherrod is the last offensive guy taken with a first pick, and Bulaga the only other one since Rodgers.  Rodgers is the only skill guy since Javon Walker twenty years ago.  

Talent and skill and having good players pays off everywhere.  

But it's better to have a bad receiver than a bad corner.  Coach can plan away from a bad receiver; throw to other guys.  

But if you've got a bad corner, the opposing team will plan right at him; throw at him and throw at him and throw at him.  Bigger liability to have to play a scrub corner than a scrub receiver.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I don’t know if I’d describe Aiyuk as a gadget type. I don’t think we would move up with just Jefferson and love on our board. It seems like we have been targeting WRs early however the boards didn’t shape out line we wanted them to . 

I think SF and Minny really changed the course of history with their picks. I’m a huge J Love fan so I’m not in a doom mindset 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Revisionist theory.  What if.....

San Fran selects Love, we get Aiyuk.  (Just go with me on this.)

San Fran then doesn't have to trade up in the draft, as they have their QB of the future on the roster behind Jimmy G.

GB makes all the talking heads happy because we got a WR in round one.  Rodgers is happy.  Redoes his deal this off-season to create space and get set up to retire as a Packer.

Let's face it, the situation we are in is all because of San Francisco!

BUT!  Does Rodgers do the self scout thing and improve himself if Aiyuk is the pick.

There is a reasonable belief that picking Love fueled Rodgers rebirth.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

BUT!  Does Rodgers do the self scout thing and improve himself if Aiyuk is the pick.

There is a reasonable belief that picking Love fueled Rodgers rebirth.

Very well could be.  But it didn't fit my narrative, so I didn't include that part in my post!