2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How can you look at Elgton Jenkins and not think Zion is a fit?

Zion is 6'-3" which would make him the shortest OL on the roster. Elgton is 6'-5". Myers and Newman are also 6'-5". Not sure if Gute has a preference there. Also not sure if the stretch zone is Zion's best fit.

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Zion is 6'-3" which would make him the shortest OL on the roster. Elgton is 6'-5". Myers and Newman are also 6'-5". Not sure if Gute has a preference there. Also not sure if the stretch zone is Zion's best fit.

Isn't Patrick Lucas 6'2? Corey Linsley was 6'3 as well. Johnson also has very long arms which is more important than being 6'5. 

Within the past week, as the draft has drawn closer, multiple teams in the top half of the draft have inquired with others to try to trade back in the first round, per sources. So far, the interest in moving back in Thursday’s draft has greatly exceeded the interest in moving up.

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Isn't Patrick Lucas 6'2? Corey Linsley was 6'3 as well. Johnson also has very long arms which is more important than being 6'5. 

Did Gute draft Linsley and Patrick ? And yes - Zion has 34" arms. But the first draft profile I looked at called Zion the prototypical phone booth Guard

26 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:
Within the past week, as the draft has drawn closer, multiple teams in the top half of the draft have inquired with others to try to trade back in the first round, per sources. So far, the interest in moving back in Thursday’s draft has greatly exceeded the interest in moving up.

I think Gutey would be interested in moving up fairly high, but would probably prefer to do it at a deep discount.  Sounds like a discount to move up could be in the cards if he goes in that direction.

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

Gotta read tweets carefully. That Zion tweet says nothing about the Packers being interested in Zion. 

I actually read it twice because Zion doesn't seem like a fit to me

My sources say the Packers are a team to watch to draft "Insert WR name here"

If you click on the article link in the tweet you will find they do indeed link the Packers to Zion.

Positional versatility is an added attraction to Johnson’s game. He played well at left tackle and guard for Boston College and showed a lot of ability at center during the Senior Bowl. I’m told the Green Bay Packers (with one of their two first-round picks), the Dallas Cowboys, and the Tampa Bay Bucs are the teams to watch as the first round closes out. The feeling is the team that selects Johnson will use him at guard early in his career with the hopes of developing him into a center.

In terms of measurables Zion fits the Packers OL thresholds but he is quite a bit shorter for a typical LaFleur OL at 6'2.5".

For that reason alone I would be very surprised if we draft him in the first round.

Sorry for the bolded text, it wouldnt let me change it.

Peter King has the Packers trading up for Dotson.  Not sure a trade up is needed, but a few talking heads have Dotson to GB.   Im not feeling it, but stranger things have happened.

18. Green Bay Packers: Jahan Dotson, wide receiver, Penn State 

*Projected Trade: Eagles trade the 18th pick to the Packers for the 22nd pick and a late third-round pick, 92nd overall.

Surprising for the sixth receiver in the round, if this is how it goes. Dotson is a better version of Randall Cobb, with maybe the best hands in the draft. Started 38 games and had 183 catches at Penn State. The knock on Dotson is he’s not as physically strong as his peers, and he’ll need to be feistier and a little bulkier to be a consistent weapon for Aaron Rodgers.

All along, I tried everything I could to get Chris Olave to the Packers. Barring a huge tradeup that might cost Brian Gutekunst next year’s first-round pick, it’s hard to see one of the top four receivers landing in Green Bay. Dotson’s a good alternative. He’s just not Olave.

Edited by NFLGURU

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

So KC's GM says there are 16-18 first-round talents, but Schefter says teams in the first half are looking to trade down without reciprocal interest in teams trading up.  I'm not sure how to reconcile those seemingly inconsistent claims?  

18 minutes ago, Chili said:

If you click on the article link in the tweet you will find they do indeed link the Packers to Zion.

In terms of measurables Zion fits the Packers OL thresholds but he is quite a bit shorter for a typical LaFleur OL at 6'2.5".

For that reason alone I would be very surprised if we draft him in the first round.

Thanks for the clarification

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Gutey would be interested in moving up fairly high, but would probably prefer to do it at a deep discount.  Sounds like a discount to move up could be in the cards if he goes in that direction.

is moving up to 16ish from 22 very high?

26 minutes ago, craig said:

So KC's GM says there are 16-18 first-round talents, but Schefter says teams in the first half are looking to trade down without reciprocal interest in teams trading up.  I'm not sure how to reconcile those seemingly inconsistent claims?  

Likely because Schefter is involved