2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Rattler ends up as QB1 for sure. Not sold on Howell quite yet. Slovis is okay. Ridder needs to show more but the tools are there. Carson Strong is another one to watch. Brock Purdy is a back-up, at best. JT Daniels is likely better than most of these guys as well. Then you'll have your "out of nowhere" riser. I'm not a huge fan of the class overall.

Agreed Rattler likely ends up as QB1.  Not sure what gives you pause on Howell.  Might not be anything special, but he's a starting QB.  Purdy is a positional switch IMO.  JT Daniels is okay.

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'm sure I left someone off but, LIS above, I am not a fan of this (potential) class overall.

Jayden Daniels is a guy I'm keeping an eye on to see a jump.  But I think this class is always going to be underwhelming because of how strong the last 2 drafts were.

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The Liberty kid will go round 1 as long as the wheels don't come off. I've barely watched him, but seen enough to know that he'll get the Lance/Love hype. 

Haven't watched him so I won't comment.

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That QB guru he's got (worked with Wentz, Watson, Fields, Lance among others) says he has the livest arm he's worked with. Multiple scouts in the Bruce Feldman Athletic article refer to him as "freaky." Don't have a horse in the race as obviously I'm not a Liberty fan lol, but keep an eye out for him.

Yeah, I don't see it but that's just me haha

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure what gives you pause on Howell.  Might not be anything special, but he's a starting QB

I just don't buy him as a #1 overall type like some others do. Philly fans in particular want him. I don't see a high upside QB when I watch him so as the guy a franchise is hedging their bets on (while passing on guys in a better class) gives me pause. He looks like a run-of-the-mill NFL starter. There's value in that, sure, won't debate that. Just not a guy I'd peg at #1 overall like some do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Jayden Daniels is a guy I'm keeping an eye on to see a jump.  But I think this class is always going to be underwhelming because of how strong the last 2 drafts were.

Yeah, Daniels was the first kid that came to mind when I mentioned someone unexpected to make the jump. 

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah, certainly doesn't feel like a draft class you want to have multiple picks in for the flexibility in moving up for a QBOTF

On 5/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, beekay414 said:

I just don't buy him as a #1 overall type like some others do. Philly fans in particular want him. I don't see a high upside QB when I watch him so as the guy a franchise is hedging their bets on (while passing on guys in a better class) gives me pause. He looks like a run-of-the-mill NFL starter. There's value in that, sure, won't debate that. Just not a guy I'd peg at #1 overall like some do.

Where are you hearing that? I live in South Jersey and nobody around me has said anything about wanting Howell.

I do agree that he'll be a run-of-the-mill starter at best and like Jordan Love, he'll be best served as a game-manager QB that works within his own - an Alex Smith type TBH.

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

Where are you hearing that? I live in South Jersey and nobody around me has said anything about wanting Howell.

I do agree that he'll be a run-of-the-mill starter at best and like Jordan Love, he'll be best served as a game-manager QB that works within his own - an Alex Smith type TBH.

Lol that's so off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Lol that's so off.

That's the best we're going to get out of him. He hasn't proven that he can carry a team, nor has he proven that he's accurate with his deep ball(just 31% completion rating in college, look it up!).

I know you want to christen him as the next great QB, but he's a traits-based QB from a non-power 5 conference who had just one good year in 2018. It's a hard pill to swallow, but that's just fact.  ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Also, in this offense, we don't need him to make a herculean effort to be Rodgers. He's going to hand the ball off 60% of the time most likely and MAY have 25 pass attempts a game anyway...

Edited by Joe

49 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's the best we're going to get out of him. He hasn't proven that he can carry a team, nor has he proven that he's accurate with his deep ball(just 31% completion rating in college, look it up!).

I know you want to christen him as the next great QB, but he's a traits-based QB from a non-power 5 conference who had just one good year in 2018. It's a hard pill to swallow, but that's just fact.  ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Also, in this offense, we don't need him to make a herculean effort to be Rodgers. He's going to hand the ball off 60% of the time most likely and MAY have 25 pass attempts a game anyway...

Jordan Love is a quintessential boom or bust QB prospect. There is absolutely no "game manager" traits to his game. He will be great or he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years. Lazy scouting there to just go off where he went to school.

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jordan Love is a quintessential boom or bust QB prospect. There is absolutely no "game manager" traits to his game. He will be great or he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years. Lazy scouting there to just go off where he went to school.

I think you're completely and intentionally misunderstanding all or some of what I'm saying:

1. I only mentioned where he went to school and did not base my entire take on that.
2. He proved he couldn't carry a team at said school, which is why I agree that he's boom or bust and hated the pick.
3. His tape suggests that he needs much more development, especially in regards to accuracy; hopefully the strides he's taken in his mechanical work can correct this flaw.

Look, I know you think he's the next Mahomes or whatever, but unlike Mahomes he wasn't known for having a big arm(despite a quick release) nor did he consistently put up 3-4 TD games(or 7 TD's like Mahomes did against Baker Mayfield's Sooners FWIW). It's like some of you(not you singularly, Raymond) stick your fingers in your ears and refuse to accept facts that have been supplied from educated and informed sources that have seen WAY more tape than we lowly fans have seen given our limited access. Sure, it's not necessarily the be-all end-all, but you can't overlook a 31% deep ball completion rating and other well-documented accuracy issues and say those aren't major issues.

However, I return to my previous point: The good news is that Love doesn't have to be Rodgers in this offense; he doesn't need to do anything special like Rodgers does. He only needs to carry out the offense by running to set up the pass with short to intermediate throws and the occasional deep ball to keep defenses honest. To be fair, this is essentially the way Rodgers has generally operated the past two seasons. On top of that, you look at the heavy investment we've made along the IOL where it looks like we're going to go with Royce Newman(a Billy Turner-esque swing Tackle) at some point. I personally think it'll work out TBH given our elite OL coaching staff.

Ergo, all Love has to do IS be a game-manager QB.  ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯