2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

15 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Jordy Nelson came out of left field

i remember like the day before the draft i randomly looked up jordy nelson on youtube and saw this video and then was in love and was incredibly pumped when they got him 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

1. Treylon Burks => Jumbo Deebo Samuel
  2. Christian Watson => Javon Walker

Good stuff.

Don't think Burks is nearly the route runner Samuel is.  Burks had a lot of stuff schemed for him at Arkansas.  He'll be a good weapon, but as a pure WR, I'm not so sure.  Definite impact in the right system and used right

Watson is a project.  He's a bigger faster MVS.  Very suspect hands, and terrible on contested catches.  Speed guy who needs to simply outrun DBs to get open.  For me, he's a one trick pony.  Unique size and speed, just know what he is and what he isnt.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Good stuff.

Don't think Burks is nearly the route runner Samuel is.  Burks had a lot of stuff schemed for him at Arkansas.  He'll be a good weapon, but as a pure WR, I'm not so sure.  Definite impact in the right system and used right

Watson is a project.  He's a bigger faster MVS.  Very suspect hands, and terrible on contested catches.  Speed guy who needs to simply outrun DBs to get open.  For me, he's a one trick pony.  Unique size and speed, just know what he is and what he isnt.

Yeah I'd prefer we went with a more polished route runner than either of these guys. Both these guys might be stars in a couple seasons, but right now we don't have that luxury to wait.

Edited by Sandy

Peter Bukowski -  Of the top projected WRs, I wonder how many will actually appeal to GB. Based on history:

Garrett Wilson — too small
Traylon Burks — not athletic enough
Skyy Moore — too small
Jameson Williams — too skinny
Jahan Dotson — too small
Chris Olave — too skinny
Drake London TBD

• Jake Morley -  George Pickens - Just right.

11 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Yeah I'd prefer we went with a more polished route runner than either of these guys. Both these guys might be stars in a couple seasons, but right now we don't have that luxury to wait.

Yep .. I want guys that can get in and out of their breaks and bring speed and separation to the table.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yep .. I want guys that can get in and out of their breaks and bring speed and separation to the table.  

Those certainly are good things, but if that player doesn't have enough sand in his pants to lose slowly blocking in the run game he would never see the field. And if he never is going to see the field then the Packers are never going to spend draft capital to draft him. It's an easy step one in the weeding out process.  

RT, I lack the scouting and don't actually know.  But how much blocking has Adams been asked to do under MLF?  I understand that blocking is a huge part of the game for guys like Lazard, and for TE's like Degaura, etc.

What I'm sincerely asking, because I don't know, is whether ALL the receivers are asked to block a lot?  Including Adams?  (My ignorant recall is that he is a pretty good movement blocker, so I think that if/when he was asked to do it, I think he was pretty capable.).  Or only some? 

And if so, whether that's true, or wise, for all successful NFL offenses?  I wonder if an excellent receiver, who goes out on passing routes every snap and is always diverting defensive attention, doesn't sometimes indirectly do more for the running game and the offense than a guy who's better at blocking but less threatening as an actual receiver?  Perhaps some mixture of both, rather than all of one profile, is best of all?  Well, having great, threatening receivers who are also great blockers would be the best of all, obviously.  

6 minutes ago, craig said:

RT, I lack the scouting and don't actually know.  But how much blocking has Adams been asked to do under MLF?  I understand that blocking is a huge part of the game for guys like Lazard, and for TE's like Degaura, etc.

What I'm sincerely asking, because I don't know, is whether ALL the receivers are asked to block a lot?  Including Adams?  (My ignorant recall is that he is a pretty good movement blocker, so I think that if/when he was asked to do it, I think he was pretty capable.).  Or only some? 

And if so, whether that's true, or wise, for all successful NFL offenses?  I wonder if an excellent receiver, who goes out on passing routes every snap and is always diverting defensive attention, doesn't sometimes indirectly do more for the running game and the offense than a guy who's better at blocking but less threatening as an actual receiver?  Perhaps some mixture of both, rather than all of one profile, is best of all?  Well, having great, threatening receivers who are also great blockers would be the best of all, obviously.  

You know Lazard is in there to block.  Sure he will get balls, but his "plus" attribute is blocking, and he's darned good at it.

The other WR's?  Those are more outside receivers.  Yes they do "block".  You see it all the time with those bubble screens and stand up passes Rodgers loves to throw.

'Vante was the one catching the passes.  MVS was blocking, as was Lazard and sometimes Cobb.

You didn't have "Vante block because that is like asking Giannis to get on a ladder and replace light bulbs in the rafters.  The risk is not worth the reward.

21 minutes ago, craig said:

Adams is a pretty good blocker. It's kinda unavoidable considering how much slot he plays.

I think if you're scouting WRs but all you're asking is "can he block", then you kind of missed the point.

Blocking is important, especially in this scheme, for all WRs (I actually loved how Adams blocked) but mostly you're going to see these guys blocking DBs or giving a chip block to an edge rusher if they're inside.  We just need them to try hard and thats enough to put them on the field. 

Now, if they're unwilling to put any effort into blocking, then that's a whole different problem.

Edited by Sandy

1 hour ago, R T said:

Those certainly are good things, but if that player doesn't have enough sand in his pants to lose slowly blocking in the run game he would never see the field. And if he never is going to see the field then the Packers are never going to spend draft capital to draft him. It's an easy step one in the weeding out process.  

To some extent but you can't simply weed out otherwise skilled WRs because they aren't good blockers. This isn't the 1960s. You need WRs with plus receiving skills in a passing league. Moreover I can teach a guy to become a better blocker. Good luck teaching a guy to be able to sink his hips and get in and out of breaks to create separation. You either have that or you don't. 

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Good stuff.

Watson's hands are very average, but he's not terrible on contested catches--like MVS. He actually has some contested catches on his tape. For MVS 50/50 balls are almost always incomplete. Watson is a better route runner than MVS coming out. Watch the Senior Bowl 1 on 1s. He has solid route running chops. He's better than you'd think running routes for a big WR. He looked better running routes than Jalen Tolbert.

Edited by TheEagle

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

To some extent but you can't simply weed out otherwise skilled WRs because they aren't good blockers. This isn't the 1960s. You need WRs with plus receiving skills in a passing league. Moreover I can teach a guy to become a better blocker. Good luck teaching a guy to be able to sink his hips and get in and out of breaks to create separation. You either have that or you don't. 

How do you get to there from what I said?

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Good stuff.

Pretty close to my views as well. I'd be okay with Burks, especially at 28, but I don't get the appeal with Watson. He's a fast dude who needs to develop as a football player. A lot of risk there.

2 minutes ago, R T said:

How do you get to there from what I said?

In terms of an example. I don't care whether Olave can block a 5 year old. I want him running crisp routes and getting open for first downs and TDs in the passing game. If we can teach him to block, great, if not, so be it.