2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

2 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

i remember like the day before the draft i randomly looked up jordy nelson on youtube and saw this video and then was in love and was incredibly pumped when they got him 

I remember when everyone was talking about how great Aqib Talib was in that draft, then we picked Jordy and I looked him up and this was the first video I saw of him:

I was pretty pumped myself after that.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Anyone not considering WR blocking for this team are actually the ones missing the point.

Agreed, but that's not the strength of this class, the top guys are a bit on the slight side. Something will have to give there if we want to fill out this room, or our WR board will be minuscule. 

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Anyone not considering WR blocking for this team are actually the ones missing the point.

Like, "what should they do" is a totally different question than "what are they going to do".  We know that the basic principle of LaFleur's offense is "ambiguity" which requires you to avoid "if he's on the field, we know they're going to do X" so you don't want anybody who's not going to contribute on the play whether it's a run or a pass.

Which means WRs are going to have to block.  Now the thing we can't know is that actual football coaches are much better at making the calls between "that's fixable, I can teach that" and "that's a flaw."

One of the reasons that I keep circling back on Pickens is that he has the right demeanor to be a NASTY blocker, he just needs to get in the weight room which is probably true of all of these guys.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Anytime you can recall Lazard or MVS on a bubble screen, Davante was probably out there blocking. He's pretty solid in that department. 

Okay...so he did some...but his talent....what he delivered for our offense....what determined his field time...wasnt predicated on his blocking. It was his release, his route running, separation & *hands*

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Okay...so he did some...but his talent....what he delivered for our offense....what determined his field time...wasnt predicated on his blocking. It was his release, his route running, separation & *hands*

Sure, but the receivers block in this offense. Kupp blocks, Woods blocks, Deebo blocks, Kittle blocks. We're looking at a slight group of WR's in this class, but so we're going to have to sacrifice something there, but they'll get in the weight room so they can do it. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Sure, but the receivers block in this offense. Kupp blocks, Woods blocks, Deebo blocks, Kittle blocks. We're looking at a slight group of WR's in this class, but so we're going to have to sacrifice something there, but they'll get in the weight room so they can do it. 

Got it - you're preaching to the choir....some blocking is required. Not a problem...but we're not looking for an IOL who can run routes and you provide the answer to your own questions: "but they'll get in the weight room so they can do it"

34 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In terms of an example. I don't care whether Olave can block a 5 year old. I want him running crisp routes and getting open for first downs and TDs in the passing game. If we can teach him to block, great, if not, so be it.

If a player can't block a 5 YO and you can't teach him to do so he will not be on the Packers draft board. Period. Some Packer fans do this to themselves every year and then act all upset when the Packers don't draft some micro sized WR that they have convinced themselves is the key to SB victory. I stopped caring who they draft along time ago, the only thing I'm attempting to do is figure out who is probably on their big board. Get rid of the draft crushes and you will be much more objective and be on your way to understanding what the Packers are trying to do. 

• Like 2

I've never wanted a WR in round one more than I do this year. Really wanted Jefferson two years ago, that was about as close as it came. 

My eyes are all on Chris Olave, he's got everything besides elite size. I feel like he is the only WR that could come in and have a solid impact his rookie year. 

I'm not sold on London, dudes a tower, and moves like one. Burks I just think will struggle getting open consistently. Wilson I think is a poor man's version of Olave. Jameson Williams would be awesome, pre-ACL tear. (These are just my perceptions of guys I have going in round 1).

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah but you don't skip on a player with rare receiving skills to get a guy who can already block. Gotta trust the coaches to teach a 6 foot 190 pound wr to block a 5'10 180lb DB. 

Draft for the unteachable stuff early.