Not sure how I feel...

mwalker

An odd draft, I thought.

I did like some things - like N.Harris, P.Freiermuth and Q.Roche, but some decisions I just found strange.

They must really like K.Green more than most, and I'm hopeful they know better, but him, Buddy Johnson, D.Moore
and K.Lowdermilk, well, just felt like scheme reaches vs BPA. Like depth picks.

I guess it's another reminder that you can study, project, mock and read as much as possible and still not have 
accurate boards. More than any draft in recent memory, players I thought were top 3 rounds really dropped and 
players I had pegged in 6 and 7 went in 3, 4, 5.

D.Moses not being drafted. Shocked. T.Smith the OG from Tenn, despite his medical history, huge drop.
What I thought were some really great players are now UDFA.

I guess we'll only know in a couple years, but other than Harris, this feels like a 'who knows' draft more than it does feel
like a rock solid one. I just found the choices surprising and a little hard to be excited about. It's like depth was more 
important than finding starters, or something.

Dunno. Interesting one. 

Edited by mwalker

Everyone will like Green.  He will be the next great Steeler center in the mold of Dirt Dawson.  It just will not happen this season.

As always, I do this for fun and assume that the Steelers know way more than me.  If they get 2 starters and 3 contributors from this draft it is a great success.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jebrick said:

Everyone will like Green.  He will be the next great Steeler center in the mold of Dirt Dawson.  It just will not happen this season.

As always, I do this for fun and assume that the Steelers know way more than me.  If they get 2 starters and 3 contributors from this draft it is a great success.  

Yep, same. But I did find this year more perplexing than others. Hope you're right on Green. If they hit on him, Harris, Freiermuth and Moore, it'll be good.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:05 AM, mwalker said:

An odd draft, I thought.

I would agree.  Some things went as predicted or were somewhat predicable and others left many scratching their heads, especially with some players left on the board at the time.

I did like some things - like N.Harris, P.Freiermuth and Q.Roche, but some decisions I just found strange.

Those three picks were strong and instantly made the team better as far as depth and I would say for the future going forward.  Dropping down in the first and trying to get a RB later or in the second or third round "because no RB is a first rounder!" would have resulted in them  having to move back up, taking a player before his actual draft value, or getting that 4th or fifth round RB selection. While Najee's value will be debated until he plays and how well he plays, I think Freiremuth and Roche filled boxes and had value. 

They must really like K. Green more than most, and I'm hopeful they know better, but him, Buddy Johnson, D. Moore
and K. Lowdermilk, well, just felt like scheme reaches vs BPA. Like depth picks.

I would tend to agree, but I think that they believe that these players have more than just depth potential. They will fill some roles and some future holes (like VW). No real DE depth with potential skillset as Tuitt or Heyward. He at least looks the part despite some of his limitations, but he looks like he could develop into something more. I may not have agreed on the players, but I do agree on the positions addressed.

I guess it's another reminder that you can study, project, mock and read as much as possible and still not have 
accurate boards. More than any draft in recent memory, players I thought were top 3 rounds really dropped and 
players I had pegged in 6 and 7 went in 3, 4, 5.

We are always behind playing catch-up. We don't get to interview these guys, talk to teammates and coaches, see the medicals, etc. For that despite what I may see or think, I more often than not have to trust the assessments made by the team of scouts, GM and HC to have done their due diligence. 

D. Moses not being drafted. Shocked. T. Smith the OG from Tenn, despite his medical history, huge drop. What I thought were some really great players are now UDFA.

I knew about the medical concerns, but I was all over him as a player, his potential, and his nastiness. Definitely shocked that he didn't go in the first three rounds. Wyatt Davis as well dropped farther than I thought.

I guess we'll only know in a couple years, but other than Harris, this feels like a 'who knows' draft more than it does feel
like a rock solid one. I just found the choices surprising and a little hard to be excited about. It's like depth was more 

Team is still in a small window that they believe that they can win it all. They were looking for some help, but some things are aimed at long term (beyond 2021).  Some things happening altered the need for some positions and changed others priority. Round two had a domino effect in my opinion. No Freiermuth and I am not so sure that they don't take Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson (if medical good) there. If JOK would have fell to the Steelers there, I believe he was the pick. The Browns jumped the Steelers because they had the draft capitol. That would have changed things again in a different direction. That  may have lead to Baron Browning in the third or James Hudson.

Dunno. Interesting one. 

This is an art more than an exact science. All I have to do is look at how many top five picks fail. How many times we have heard terms like, "Can't miss. Franchise. Once every ten years." In the words of jazz singer Jonathan Butler,  "There's one born every minute" "S-U-C-K-E-R!" 

R-974856-1373233035-7601.jpeg.jpg

For the first time since Daniel Sepulveda, I am excited about a punter.  This guy is actually the anti-Sepulveda in terms of size, build, etc. Somehow I think Pressley Harvin III will be talked about for years to come as the Steelers punter. He is the Sebastian Janokowski of Punters and may be affectionately nicknamed as the "Round Mound Inside the Ten Downs! 😍

On 5/2/2021 at 9:00 AM, jebrick said:

-Everyone will like Green.  He will be the next great Steeler center in the mold of Dirt Dawson.  It just will not happen this season.

You and a few others mentioned his name during the draft process. I was somewhat leery because of size and movement/finesse and my desire to see the old Terry Long, Carlton Hasilrig, Brendan Stai type of road graders along the OL.  I like his demeanor and disposition despite the fact I still have an absolute draft man crush on Quinn Meinerz.

In the long run and he may even surprise in the short term a la Pouncey, he is a great fit for what the Steelers do, not what I want them to do or be. I loved the video of his family. If he can play half as stoked as the little girl (assuming little sister or perhaps niece) in the video. We have a winner! (see the 25 second point of the video). That brought a tear to the eyes! Great stuff!

He is a fellow college Greek (Hines and I won't hold it against him for not going Blue Phi (Phi Beta Sigma). 😉 Welcome to Pittsburgh Kendrick.

As always, I always appreciate your input and feedback. While I think you may have hit a home run on this one, I think and hope you are definitely wrong about Freiermuth. He was and has been my favorite Steelers TE. I hoped he would fall, but doubted it. Thanks to some questionable picks earlier in round one and two. I thought they may even try to go Tremble in round three before the draft.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It seems almost every year, everyone has a real good idea who the Steelers are going to draft about 1 week before the event. This year was no exception, IMO. They addressed most positions I thought they would, but just not with most of the guys I thought they wouold or in the rounds I thought they would.

24. Harris. He was the pick pretty much all the way. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Minn did not take Darrisaw; however, no one took Harris away fromt he Steelers even tho I heard rumors some team(s) tried.

55. Freiermuth. I was surprised by this pick -- not that they picked this guy, but I thought it was a round early. I guess that's why no one is paying me to predict the draft :)

87. Green. I think this was a good pick for the position, but I don't know much about this guy.

All other picks. I think waiting until the 7th round for CB, is probably not what the Steelers planned to do, but that's what they got. I expect they will bring in a few FAs as other teams sort out their rosters.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:00 AM, jebrick said:

if Green is even comparable to Dawson or Hartings, that is a major help on the OL.  I like some of the draft  position - needs early on, it should help  the team. Not sure if it will matter if the QB can't throw downfield though, but thats next year I guess. Maybe get Rodgers next year, lets be positive 👏

On 5/2/2021 at 3:05 AM, mwalker said:

t's like depth was more 

Don't get this view at all. The top three picks are likely to start this year. Yes, I think they put Green in a position to win that role right away unlike Dotson last year. They clearly realized Ebron was limiting their offense with his blocking so the TE is going to be playing heavy snaps even if they insist on naming Ebron the #1 (I doubt they do).

It's not even out of the realm of possibility that Moore competes for a starting tackle spot right away.

So the top 4 picks went to the 4 positions on the team where there was a legitimate starting spot open. Those were the most unsettled positions on the team. The only other one where there isn't a clear starter is ILB, but they have several guys with starting experience and only so many picks. Still took a guy in R4 there, too.

The rest of day three after Moore? Yea, they targeted developmental guys. That's usually what you get in the later rounds every year because that's all that's left.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Don't get this view at all. The top three picks are likely to start this year. Yes, I think they put Green in a position to win that role right away unlike Dotson last year. They clearly realized Ebron was limiting their offense with his blocking so the TE is going to be playing heavy snaps even if they insist on naming Ebron the #1 (I doubt they do).

It's not even out of the realm of possibility that Moore competes for a starting tackle spot right away.

So the top 4 picks went to the 4 positions on the team where there was a legitimate starting spot open. Those were the most unsettled positions on the team. The only other one where there isn't a clear starter is ILB, but they have several guys with starting experience and only so many picks. Still took a guy in R4 there, too.

The rest of day three after Moore? Yea, they targeted developmental guys. That's usually what you get in the later rounds every year because that's all that's left.

I won't debate the positions (other than TE being a 2nd round priority, which I just don't agree with) 
but I sure, I guess they could start, but I believe there were better players at those positions available.

I mean you could've had players most projected as much higher without much debate.
Maybe they know these players better. Maybe these players demonstrated some qualities,
we fans just can't see. But according to most, there were some big reaches here.

I just hope the gambles pay off. If K.Green is a starter and D.Moore is too, this all starts to work.

Its hard for me to really love or hate it given how little I know about most of the players we drafted.

I know the first two quite well, but beyond that....Im lost.

Im not going to keep beating a dead horse about taking RBs in the first round.    We needed a RB that was pro ready and we got a RB that was pro ready.     

We needed a long term TE....we got a long term TE.   Not who I wouldve picked given who was on the board, but I like Pat enough that Im not going to complain.

This draft is what it needed to be....and offensive draft that was aimed at making so that Ben wasnt being asked to carry the team.    They still might need him to depending on various things....but given what they did in the draft, I think they know he isnt really much more than a game manager at this point.  

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

I think some "major" flaws in college kids' games are a little overblown. Coverage can be taught much better in the NFL. That makes me feel better about Buddy Johnson. He's crazy athletic, he's a good tackler, and he's a fierce player. I think Jerry O and Butler will teach him up. Blocking is the same way. I have a feeling Pat will end up being a solid blocker for a TE. Will he be Gronk or Kittle? Probably not, but I think he's going to be a really good one. 

Also, I'm not trying to say that an NFL coach can make any player good, but I think they are considerably better than position coaches in college. 

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He has stiff hips which will limit his ability to cover m-t-m

No doubt. He won't ever be Derrick Brooks, but I could see him developing into a better Vince Williams. And I don't think that's too far fetched. Not bad for a mid-rounder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

"but given what they did in the draft, I think they know he isn't really much more than a game manager at this point."

I am not so sure. I actually think he actually is much more than a game manager. I don't think Ben was the problem. He was a major reason that the Steelers won 12 games more than he was the reason why they lost 5 games. I think the Steelers need to follow the Bronco model with Elway and Peyton winning SB's late due to a solid rushing attack and very good defenses. I think Ben is and was better than both Elway and Peyton when they won their SB's  at the end of their HOF careers. 

For coming off of major surgery to his throwing arm that late in his career, Ben exceeded most expectations with his play.  The supporting cast didn't complement him. In one of his worst games (WC Game vs. Browns) he still threw for more than 500 yards being a completely predictable and one-dimensional offense.  The Steelers root causes to poor offensive performance (in my humble opinion) were:

1. Play calling and lack of in game adjustments. Problem all year and many times the success was when Ben took over. 

2. They and Ben became a tired football team. The lack of a real bye, the game dates being switched at the last minute took them out of rhythm,  and playing 3 games in 12 days hurt them. 

3. Injuries to the defense: Bud and Bush were huge difference makers that raised the play of the entire defense. The run defense suffered after Tyson got hurt. Then losing Spillane and Haden hurt too. 

4. OL and RB's. The Steelers OL couldn't open holes. When they did, the RB's didn't read or follow the blocks properly.

5. Drops by WR's and the TE stalled drives and stopped potential TD's, eating up clock, resting the defense, and other potential scoring (FG's). 

6. Coaching, offense, defense and special rarely play complimentary football. It is always one or two of the four working and the team rarely getting in synch. It is rarely all four phases working together. The closest that they came was 28 minutes versus the Titans and the first half versus Cleveland in the first game in Pittsburgh. 

I think the Steelers were smart to build around Ben for 2021. If one or two of the other phases are off, I believe Ben can more than carry the team for the few games that may happen. Fix the OL, rushing attack, retool and get healthy on defense, and the Steelers have more than a puncher's chance to beat any team.

Edited by Steeler Hitman
type-o
  • Like 3

Just now, AFF said:

@Steeler Hitman great post

Ben has his faults and isn’t what he was 5 years ago but he’s still an above average QB.

That is what I am saying. Ben is far from a perfect QB and never was. But he was an elite QB that played at a high level more often than not. Ben is still very good and better than many give him credit for being. We could do far worse than Ben at QB. I believe the Steelers have a better chance of winning it all with him in 2021 than without him.