Draft Grades

Hunter2_1

1-15 QB Mac Jones, Alabama:  A; a QB who had top 3 buzz, we didn't have to move for him which is key, WILL be our starter for the foreseeable

2-38 DT Christian Barmore, Alabama: A+ ; The best IDL prospect in the draft, 1st round grade, getting him in the 2nd is great value

3-96 DE Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma: B; I think he's fairly limited in what he can do, and not sure if we could have gotten him in the 100s, but it's still a good pick and he can contribute in certain situations

4-120 RB Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma: C- ; I don't like the value. I can see he's a good blocking RB and is a powerful runner, but prob least fav pick

5-177 LB Cameron McGrone, Michigan: A+; Ridiculously good value here. One of the most athletic defenders in the draft taken in the 5th! Some folks over in NFL gen had him as the 3rd best LB. I don't agree but that tells you what we are dealing with here. Huge upside.

6-188 S Joshuah Bledsoe, Missouri: C+; depth and maybe will allow Dugger more freedom

6-197 OT William Sherman, Colorado: C- ; With Wynn and Brown entering FA years, we did need a T. But this guy is small. Will probably compete for inside backup slots

7-242 WR Tre Nixon, Central Florida: B- ; He's now our fastest WR, he edged Agholor's best 40 time. If nothing else, he's competition for the others and may improve the room

Average: A-

The highest grade I've ever given a NE draft. I do think Bill knocked it out the park this year. Best picks; Barmore and McGrone.

Edited by Hunter2_1

McGrone is my favorite pick. I think he dropped due to the possible redshirt year but it's a really good deal in the 5th round. With Mayo coaching and some experienced players showing him the ropes, he could be a major steal. Which is truthfully what we need to become a SB contender. If guys like Herron, Onwenu and McGrone hit as late round draft picks, that's how you become great

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

McGrone is my favorite pick. I think he dropped due to the possible redshirt year but it's a really good deal in the 5th round. With Mayo coaching and some experienced players showing him the ropes, he could be a major steal. Which is truthfully what we need to become a SB contender. If guys like Herron, Onwenu and McGrone hit as late round draft picks, that's how you become great

Agreed. If he stayed in school I think he'd have gone much higher next year. Really shrewd pick

Jones: B (Not bullish on him as a prospect, but he definitely landed in the best possible situation. Would've preferred to trade up for Fields, but the positional need and pick value can't be denied)

Barmore: A+ (Would've been fine taking him at 15. Even with a trade up, getting him at 38 was insane value)

Perkins: A- (Can't deny the physical tools. He's good enough against the run to be an every-down player if he applies himself.)

Stevenson: C+ (I'd have gone in a different direction but I don't think he's a bad pick per se. Just would've liked to go WR at this juncture of the draft)

McGrone: A (Going with consensus on this one. Great value. Not sure how he fits into the LB rotation, but definitely a quality choice)

Bledsoe: B- (Don't know much about him, but I'm guessing he's there to mostly be a core special teamer)

Sherman: B- (Seems to project better to guard at the pro level, but they said the same about Wynn. We shall see)

Nixon: A- (He's raw but gifted. That's the kind of player you want to get at this point in the draft)

• Like 2

1-15 QB Mac Jones, Alabama:  A; Always knew Fields was a pipedream but he had the highest ceiling. Mac has the highest floor and the most unpredictable ceiling. With BB probably looking for a quick turnaround given his 7-8 (shoulda been 9-6) record with Cam last year and the massive FA haul this year, it honestly HAD to be Mac. 

2-38 DT Christian Barmore, Alabama: A+ ; Dude has a motor. Reminds be of Fletcher Cox

3-96 DE Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma: A; Going eagles again, he reminds me of Brandon Graham, but he could be better. Solid against the run with a mean streak on the field, this guy COULD straight murk people. at 96, he comes with some baggage that honestly does not concern me. Dude loves football, and that's all we need. 

4-120 RB Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma: C- ; Definitely my least favorite pick of the draft. It isnt even a value thing for me, its more.. I didn't need to see a RB in this draft. Would have rather seen a WR here

5-177 LB Cameron McGrone, Michigan: A-; probably one of my favorite picks. likely a redshirt rookie year this kid could be the future of our LB corp. He will wear the green dot for the next decade once High is done. 

6-188 S Joshuah Bledsoe, Missouri: C-; another safety who excels in the box. Now we have Dugger, Phillips, and now this kid. Rather see a roamer with McCourty considering retirement. 

6-197 OT William Sherman, Colorado: C- ; Strike me as a guard at the next level, swing tackle at best. Could fill the Flemming role down the line. 

7-242 WR Tre Nixon, Central Florida: C; Dude has speed but that is about it. Not a strong fit for our offense with Mac but might be someone Cam likes. Strange to draft him but he was probably the highest rated player on the board for them at this point. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Would have rather seen a WR here

yup. Especially considering guys like Kenneth Gainwell, Chris Evans, and Michael Carter were available later if they really wanted a RB in that early day 3 range.

I like the player but it should have been a receiver, and there is really no excuse. A lot of value was there at this pick and they didn't get the most from it.

I think the first four players will actually play games. The rest are garbage. The only good value was Baremore. Perkins is a solid pick, but where he was taken was still a bit rich considering the depth at the position in the draft. I feel the same about Mac Jones and Stevenson.

1-15 QB Mac Jones, Alabama:  A+  Perfect. I love what he brings to the table. The skills he has are what I look for when you need a QB. Brains, accuracy and doesn't turn the ball over.  IMO he fits our offense. The only reason Field is considered better becasue he can run. Take that skill away and now judge its not even close.

2-38 DT Christian Barmore, Alabama: A ; "Dude has a motor. Reminds be of Fletcher Cox" Exactly. I did have a small concern if he would fit based on the style BB likes.

3-96 DE Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma: B,  I never look at the player before the draft. This is just me, I don't like OU players. I'm concerned with his size. I do like the value and hope he plays like his HL tapes.  I'm also fine with the position, I didn't see a WR good enough at 96.

4-120 RB Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma: D  I didn't see the value or need. I would of traded the pick based on what was left on the board. I love this type of RB however I'm concerned with his skill level... won't translate in the  NFL  . He loses some pounds we might have something, but right now he looks to slow for the NFL. Drafted to early.

5-177 LB Cameron McGrone, Michigan: A+; my favorite pick, 20 frigging years old,  "likely a red shirt rookie year this kid could be the future of our LB corp." IMO  Dictionary LB!!! Also love Mich players.

6-188 S Joshuah Bledsoe, Missouri:  B- Another, I never looked at Before the draft. I saw one clip where he covered D Smith like a blanket. That all I needed to see! I love his HL tapes, you can see every you want with a 6th RD pick. Also he was a QB all his life until he was switch in college. I love low RD picks that played QB. He described himself perfectly a, dog.  Based on the taped he was the leader on defense. That really stood out.

6-197 OT William Sherman, Colorado: B-  Versatility, love his base. You can't go wrong with OL. My only reason for the lower grade was Shi Smith WR still on the board one of my favorite WR in the draft.

7-242 WR Tre Nixon, Central Florida: A+++++++++++++++  For one reason, he has FRIGGING SPEED and can go deep.  He is perfect for our offense. He complements the WR group and helps our running game and clears out the underneath stuff for the TEs. 

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

1-15 QB Mac Jones, Alabama:  B  Not the player I wanted, I was hoping to go with a more modern offense.. but he 100% fits their system. Obviously came Saban approved so there is that as well. He is actually a bit faster than everyone thought (4.7), so who knows.. with a year in the strength and conditioning program his arm strength and quickness could improve slightly. 

2-38 DT Christian Barmore, Alabama: A I didn't like the pick at first given all of the reports about him not liking structure and coaching.. but the guy has talent. BB obviously spoke with Saban about him and if he thinks he can get the kid to listen and not be lazy then he could be an absolute steal. Worth the risk here

3-96 DE Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma: B Not a need but I understand it in the context of Winovich being in and out of the lineup a little bit last year. BB could be seeing this as a good value ( many had him mocked top 50). If he pushes some of the younger guys to improve, that works for me.. he has a lot of potential from what I have seen.  

4-120 RB Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma: B, I think he's really shifty for his size. He fights for yards and can even catch the ball a bit. Looked really good on pass protection. He's going to likely redshirt but I'm totally fine with this pick, he isn't a homerun guy but he has a lot of potential to contribute. This isn't a pick for this year, it's for when Sony is gone, given their desire to redshirt RB i'm good with it. 

5-177 LB Cameron McGrone, Michigan: A Don't have many roster spots, why not draft a 20 year old who you can redshirt and contribute next season. Worth the risk all day, great pick.

6-188 S Joshuah Bledsoe, Missouri:  C Pretty Meh on this pick .. he probably wont be more than a special teams guy.. I would have gone with Shi Smith

6-197 OT William Sherman, Colorado: A, versatile .. seems like he can play across the entire line. After their history i'm not about to question a late round OL pick

7-242 WR Tre Nixon, Central Florida: B he seems to have all the tools to be successful. I don't know anything about him.. would have rather had a few guys earlier. It was noted how hard it is to transition to this offense as a receiver so maybe that's why they aren't necessarily looking at the big names.. they are just looking at the tools and tossing darts at the board to see who will be smart enough to pick up the offense. 

Overall I'm happy with the results .. it looks like long term they could have some nice players out of this draft. At the end of the day though, this draft will be defined by how well Mac Jones does in New England

• Like 1

I have never liked the "now take away [insert point here]" as an argument. How about we compare Fields and Jones but this time we remove Jones' accuracy and see who is a better QB? Yeah that doesn't make sense. Just taking away someone's strength just to even out the playing field seems disingenuous to me. As a pure talent Fields is a better QB but that alone will not make you successful at the next level. As pure passers (which is the point that was being made I suppose) they are both really good, Mac is more accurate and is better under pressure which are very good traits. 

Edited by The Third Rider
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I think the first four players will actually play games. The rest are garbage. The only good value was Baremore. Perkins is a solid pick, but where he was taken was still a bit rich considering the depth at the position in the draft. I feel the same about Mac Jones and Stevenson.

Nixon pick>Sherman/McGrone/Bledsoe

Ultimately, Baremore isn't going to be worth the trade up I think but to take the chance on someone who the Patriots and others considered most likely a first round talent it is understandable; it isn't a reach by any means - if anything the opposite. I like Baremore's potential but as a prospect overall I think he was very controversial and fools gold due to a down year at the position as well.

5 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

I have never liked the "now take away [insert point here]" as an argument. How about we compare Fields and Jones but this time we remove Jones' accuracy and see who is a better QB? Yeah that doesn't make sense. Just taking away someone's strength just to even out the playing field seems disingenuous to me. As a pure talent Fields is a better QB but that alone will not make you successful at the next level. As pure passers (which is the point that was being made I suppose) they are both really good, Mac is more accurate and is better under pressure which are very good traits. 

I saw nothing to suggest that Jones is actually more accurate. He's got good footwork and the numbers back it up, yes. But Fields has an exceptional ability to throw off-base and drop it in the bucket from 40 yards away. That's something that's far more rare.

I have little doubt that Jones will be decent within this system if he has good weapons, but then again, that was true of Matt Cassel as well. I just don't see him as a guy who'll elevate a team with a lesser roster the way Brady did for so long. I may be wrong (and hope I am) but in order for a guy with lesser physical talents to succeed at QB in the NFL, he has to have a few screws loose and Jones just seems exceedingly beige to me.