Draft Grades

Hunter2_1

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I saw nothing to suggest that Jones is actually more accurate. He's got good footwork and the numbers back it up, yes. But Fields has an exceptional ability to throw off-base and drop it in the bucket from 40 yards away. That's something that's far more rare.

I have little doubt that Jones will be decent within this system if he has good weapons, but then again, that was true of Matt Cassel as well. I just don't see him as a guy who'll elevate a team with a lesser roster the way Brady did for so long. I may be wrong (and hope I am) but in order for a guy with lesser physical talents to succeed at QB in the NFL, he has to have a few screws loose and Jones just seems exceedingly beige to me. 

You said it, the numbers back it up, 77.4 completion percentage is the highest of all-time over a single season. Now, not all the throws he had to make were necessary hard throws, wide receivers running open a lot of the time and they have great hands but he did hit them in stride while only posting 4 total interceptions, so I can't knock him for that. I don't disagree about the physical talent disparity, I wanted Fields as much as the next guy but this is what we have. As for him elevating the talent around him this is hard to say, this can really go either way, we just have to see what happens. For what is worth both of his WRs like Mac over Tua, you could say he elevates them.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/22/mmqb-carson-wentz-trade-washington-front-office-tim-tebow

All 31 teams in attendance at the Senior Bowl had the chance to do a 15-minute speed-dating interview with the Alabama quarterback, but maybe the most interesting anecdote I could possibly give you on him from that week in Mobile comes from his Heisman Trophy winning receiver DeVonta Smith. One team asked Smith, point blank: Tua Tagovailoa or Jones? The question was barely finished before Smith answered: Mac Jones. He was bold and definitive about it, as I heard it. And of course, it’s logical to some degree. Jones was Smith’s quarterback for his historic, 117-catch, 1,856-yard, 23-touchdown season. 

EDIT: Would love to hear Tua and Jaylen discuss his pick now that they are both in Miami. lol

Edited by The Third Rider

2 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

Now, not all the throws he had to make were necessary hard throws

No but he had as much of a clean pocket consistently as a flag football player. He does stand in and throw with ensuing pressure which is great and all but it very much raises the likelihood of Jones getting injured. Especially in the NFL where Jones will need to develop physically and adjust to a developed body not mention the whole process of being developed.

People think these two Bama guys are slam dunk picks. But I think their perceived high floors are a higher likelihood than their potential ceilings as prospects. Baremore is fortunate to have GREAT veteran line mates and former LT mentor Belichick to steer him into the right direction career-wise. The floor for Baremore ans expectation in rookie season is situational pass rusher. I think they will focus on that and try to develop Baremore mentally to where he can move 120% every snap with confidence versus run or pass.

It's not real surprise both Smith and Waddle picked Jones over Tua given their own production variance across the two QBs, but I'd easily take Jones over Tua. I'm not a homer and if I thought Tua was better, I'd say. Like, I think Wilson and Fields are better than Jones, I'd rather have them.

Happy with Jones though, especially given he was free (didn't have to give anything up)

Edited by Hunter2_1