Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

First off I look forward to looking at these rankings in particular where you rank the Rams and your thoughts about how they did in general. I will also like to give you a few things to think about as you rank the Rams.

This draft the big picture was for the Rams to upgrade their speed on offense, weakness on special teams, and make a few replacements on defense. They did that. Tutu is a speedy playmaker. Outside of DoVonta Smith, Tutu led all receivers in yac. McVay calls him DeSean Jackson Jr. We know DeSean fell to the 2nd round when he came out and if Tutu can have half the career that a healthy DeSean had then Rams hit a home run with Tutu. Plus DeSean was so successful when he last played in McVay system back in Washington so McVay will know how to use Tutu and it takes the pressure off of using DeSean alot in the regular season to help him stay healthy when the Rams need him the most in the playoffs. If you knock the Rams for a taking such a small type receiver then knock the Dolphins for taking Waddle, the Eagles for taking Smith, the Cards for taking Moore, and the Seahawks for taking Eskridge all are small receivers that went before the Rams took Tutu. Then the Rams took a freakish athlete in Harris. The NFL Network crew mentioned him in the same sentence as DK Metcalf because of his body size and his speed. Now we know Harris isnt going to be DK but he can be a mismatch on offense whenever his called up on. The Rams list him as tight end but he can also play receiver. Make sense because the Rams did loss Everett. But not just that but I think Daniel Jeremiah said Harris is one of if not the best special teams player in the draft. We know the Rams have been dying to find a dependable and just overall threat on special teams.

Speaking of special teams as I just mentioned with Harris, lets talk about Funk. @jrry32 I think mentioned that he could be what the Patriots have in Matthew Slater and we know Slater is a special teams stud. So again the Rams continued to fix their special teams weakness. Then on defense the Rams got a guy that I think is a perfect replacement to Brockers in Brown. He was 1st team all SEC and as I can recall he did a number on my LSU Tigers. Jones is a thumper who rarely miss tackles and he even gave the 4th overall pick Pitts fits when South Carolina played Florida. He is very physical which is what the Rams defense is. Then Rochell come in to replace Hill in the slot. From what I hear they say he plays sorta like Peters. So yes he will gamble at times so thats good and bad. He will make plays though which is what Hill made alot in particular this past season. Having Ramsey will help Rochell learn alot about now playing in the NFL as opposed to the level of competition he was playing in college.

Then lastly people knock the Rams for not drafting an OL prospect AGAIN. I say again because they didnt do so last year either but their OL still played above average last season. They only lost Blythe at center and it wasnt like he was an all-pro. So losing him isnt going to make the Rams OL go from above average to terrible. Rams have a plan thats why they didnt draft an OL prospect. They like what they have in house and even picked up a few undrafted OL prospects they like. So yes you can knock them just because they didnt take one at any point but dont act like the Rams not taking one that they screwed themselves and they have no plan moving forward with that group because again they played above average last season and I dont see that changing. Actually they could be a little bit better because of Stafford as the QB and McVay opening up the playbook plus now with guys like DeSean Jackson and Tutu with their big play abilities its going to make defense less hesitant to crowd the line of scrimmage knowing they can get beat deep at any time. 

Hopefully Pittsburgh gets as bad a grade as they did last year. 28th overall but if you're doing a re-draft based on their rookie seasons they'd have three first rounders in Claypool, Kevin Dotson, and Alex Highsmith. Their 7th rounder Carlos Davis flashed well and looks like a potential starter going forward as well. 

4 minutes ago, LTF said:

Hopefully Pittsburgh gets as bad a grade as they did last year. 28th overall but if you're doing a re-draft based on their rookie seasons they'd have three first rounders in Claypool, Kevin Dotson, and Alex Highsmith. Their 7th rounder Carlos Davis flashed well and looks like a potential starter going forward as well. 

In what world are both of them taken in the first round in a redraft? 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

In what world are both of them taken in the first round in a redraft? 

Kevin Dotson has an argument for being the best rookie offensive lineman in the NFL last year. I'd definitely put him up there with Wirfs and Bechton for impact and level of play. He gave up maybe 2-3 pressures and 0 sacks in over 350 snaps. 

Highsmith was the best rookie pass rusher outside of Chase Young. Both look to be long-term starters and both made PFF's All Rookie Team.

Did you watch them play last year? What are your thoughts? 

26 minutes ago, LTF said:

Highsmith had 2 sacks....

I’m guessing you’re a Steelers fan.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LTF said:

Okay

• Like 1

32. Houston Texans

Grading Houston Texans 2021 NFL Draft: Trades and Value Are Key -  SportsBeezer

This Class In One Sentence:

A weird, panic-ridden draft by a team which found it hard to utilize its limited draft capital.

Pre-Draft Needs

Everything

Selections

3. 67. Davis Mills - Stanford | QB |

3. 89. Nico Collins - Michigan | WR |

5. 147. Brevin Jordan - Miami (FL) | TE |

5. 170. Garret Wallow -  TCU | LB |

6. 195. Roy Lopez - Arizona | DT |

Picks Heading In

What I liked:

I liked the Brevin Jordan pick-up in the 5th, although he’s endured a tough draft season where he measured in even smaller than ideal and put up below par testing numbers. At still only 20 years of age, he can has some upside as a shifty receiver with some quickness – where you line him up is a question. It might require a more creative mind to get the most out of him there.

I wouldn’t have traded up for him, but Nico Collins has some prototypical X receiver qualities which was tough to find in a deep class of smaller slot receivers. But he was a vertical route runner only in college and will need to learn how to play the position in the NFL if he wants to develop into something other beyond that.

What I didn’t like:

The Texans were up against it, with no first or second round picks. Yet somehow, they’ve still managed to put together a cast of low-floor prospects who don’t have an obvious early route into playing time. That can and should be fine, but man, that’s a holey roster and missing on picks doesn’t feel like an option no matter where they come.

For a team that had to hit on players, especially on defense, converting 8 picks into 5 was odd – especially as one of those picks was spent on a developmental quarterback who now lands in a less than ideal situation for his development. No pick at cornerback feels like an odd move, given their lack of depth there. Two odd trades up to secure Garret Wallow, who is only a solid prospect, felt strange too. The Texans are a truly bizarre franchise from top to bottom right now, and one stuck in purgatory for the foreseeable with the reset button still out of reach. 

• Like 6