Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I guess you forgot about Reagor's 16.4% drop rate as a prospect?

Hardly a reach if the team behind them likely would have drafted him if he was there.

Seems above average to me:

josebautistabatflip.gif

c87cb9ac3359430d33cdd674326e0728.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Elsewhere, it’s notable to see the Browns looking at productive but poor testers later. It feels like a strategy that runs counter to what the rest of the league’s tendency is – to draft high end athletes with less impressive resumes. Fields, LeCounte and Felton all look quicker on the field than their testing indicates. I’m wondering if this is an advantage they are keying in on, or whether other forms of GPS testing (for example) are showing very different results. 

More or less, this is usually contrary to their past styles, where they love RAS guys and even roll the dice on athletic upside later instead of college production.

However, the trades back on some of those picks meant that they likely had to go "need" later to fill out their roster, while netting a lot of future picks/trading back.

Fields was the one that most of us were not thrilled about, but he is likely going to be a special teamer (big need) and will compete for the backup WLB spot, likely nudging out Mack Wilson (THANK GOODNESS). He's a bulk tackler and sideline to sideline 2 down value guy potentially, and he doesn't miss tackles (Woods and our FO seems to value that, just like the Phillips pick at LB in 2020).

LeCounte is a guy who they likely need as that 4th/5th safety spot, nudging out Redwine, who's been lousy. Woods runs a lot of big nickel, and it's clear that they want JOK to be a hybrid LB/S in the slot and play a lot as a 3 down guy in and around the box, but mostly in the APEX role. With Ronnie Harrison having 1 year left on his deal, he's likely a 2022 free agent cap casualty, so LeCounte gives them the ability to hopefully move him into that 3rd spot in the future. (Johnson, Delpit)

Felton is going to compete for that final 3rd RB spot behind Chubb and Hunt. They also like his versatility in the slot and matchups in the passing game from a variety of spots. He's going to compete with D'Ernest Johnson for that 3rd spot. Johnson is a hard nosed runner with little to offer out of the backfield in the passing game.

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

What I Didn’t Like
I guess that is kind of early for Anthony Schwartz. Plus, if the poor testers just can't meet an athletic threshold to play in the NFL then doesn't look great in retrospect. But it’s just really hard to pick fault in anything Berry has done since he became GM, this is a serious team which is deep at every spot on the roster. 

Schwartz was the first pick I wasn't wild about, but if all he does is add that "blow the top off" element and keeps the EDGE guys honest in the cutback lane for jet sweep potential to pave the way for Chubb/Hunt, and keeps the extra safeties OUT of the box for fear of his deep threat, then it's a worthwhile pick.

I don't love his future as a true #1 or #2 guy, or even necessarily as a pure slot, but he's a guy who they'll use as a deep threat and jet guy, and his speed should immediately make their offense have an added dimension that they've desperately needed for quite some time.

To be fair to the Browns, they've been doing a really good job on the roster front for a dew years now - it just may not have been immediately noticeable due to the absurdly low talent base they had to rise themselves up from, and also due to Hue  Jackson very likely being the worst head coach in NFL history (2nd worst ever win ratio at 0.205 after a guy from the 30s before even getting into the scapegoating and drama). 

• Like 1

8. Los Angeles Chargers

2021 NFL draft: Chargers trade possibilities using values chart

This Class In One Sentence:
A patient, well-crafted haul in a draft where Telesco & co let the draft come to them.

Pre-Draft Needs 
OL, EDGE, CB, WR, TE

Selections
1 13. Rashawn Slater - Northwestern | OT |
2 47. Asante Samuel Jr. - Florida State | CB |
3 77. Josh Palmer - Tennessee | WR |
3 97. Tre' McKitty - Georgia | TE |
4 118. Chris Rumph II - Duke | OLB |
5 159. Brenden Jaimes - Nebraska | OT |
6 185. Nick Niemann - Iowa | LB |
6 198. Larry Rountree III - Missouri | RB |
7 241. Mark Webb - Georgia | S |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
I really love those first three picks, with the stars almost aligning for Slater and Samuel Jr to be available at both spots. The Chargers are heading into the 2021 season with an offensive line which doesn’t look overmatched for the first time in years. That’s a huge credit to the off-season work they’ve put in and Slater is a very solid addition. He’s a top tier athlete and technician, who could fill a number of spots on the line – clearly the hope is he can slide in a play tackle early on. 

Asante Samuel Jr is a dream fit for that heavy zone/quarters scheme at 47, which should give him plenty of opportunity to use his unreal quickness to attack the ball. Josh Palmer at 77 is another of my sneaky favorites. He endured a horrible QB situation at Tennessee but had a very good Senior Bowl week where he showed off his soft hands and ability to make plays downfield. 

I quite like the Chris Rumph selection at 118. I thought his tape was intriguing, but had no idea where he would fit in the NFL being a talented slenderman edge rusher. But he could find a home here in sub-packages. Brenden Jaimes is a solid pass-protector at tackle, that’s probably valuable in the 5th. Elsewhere it is super solid, Larry Rountree III being the most intriguing. He tested like dog, but he's got quick feet 

What I Didn’t Like
Tre' McKitty at 97, seems out of place for a dude who caught 56 passes in four seasons at Florida State and then Georgia. I get that it was a weak tight end class and that he improved his stock at the Senior Bowl showing off a good all-round skill-set. It’s not an egregious overshot because he does have some talent and many thought he was due for a big season in Georgia. But he was just so enigmatic I could only really envision him landing on day three, and pretty much anywhere there. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:
On 5/11/2021 at 8:11 AM, Jeezla said:

Dyami has the worst hands I've seen in years. 

Jamin was a bit of a reach. 

Hardly a reach if the team behind them likely would have drafted him if he was there.

St juste is just an average athlete. Yea, not a good draft imo.

No, I just remember Dyami dropping multiple easy passes right in the hands. No question he has the biggest brick hands I've seen in a decade. Passes clang off his hands like they hit a solid wall. Reagor might drop more, I dunno, but the type of drops Dyami has are gross.

If another team wanted to take Mitch Trubisky at #3, he wouldn't have been a reach? That's how reaches work? One other team was going to take him, so he's no longer a reach? Ok.

4.55 pro day 40 yard dash is just average for a CB, I don't care what his agility scores are. If you run 4.55 at a pro day, you are probably going to get burnt. Plenty of good cb's have average 3-cones. Almost all of them have good 40's. St juste = Jalen Mills, not Josh Norman.

Edited by Jeezla

35 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

No, I just remember Dyami dropping multiple easy passes right in the hands. No question he has the biggest brick hands I've seen in a decade. Passes clang off his hands like they hit a solid wall. Reagor might drop more, I dunno, but the type of drops Dyami has are gross.

I'm sure you have a very reliable memory, but I'll take my chances with the objective stats.  He had some concentration drops, but I don't think they were any more "gross" than Reagor's.  And Reagor definitely dropped more.

35 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If another team wanted to take Mitch Trubisky at #3, he wouldn't have been a reach? That's how reaches work? One other team was going to take him, so he's no longer a reach? Ok.

No, I guess they're defined by Jeezla's evaluation of where a player should be selected.

43 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

4.55 pro day 40 yard dash is just average for a CB, I don't care what his agility scores are. If you run 4.55 at a pro day, you are probably going to get burnt. Plenty of good cb's have average 3-cones. Almost all of them have good 40's. St juste = Jalen Mills, not Josh Norman.

Well, that's foolish.  It's beyond rare for a CB to have both elite size and elite agility.  He also had an above average 10-yard split.  I'm not going to knock a 6'3" CB for having average long speed.  There are plenty of CBs who have succeeded without having great 40 times.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Seems above average to me:

tenor.gif

My goodness, you just retired him.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm sure you have a very reliable memory, but I'll take my chances with the objective stats.  He had some concentration drops, but I don't think they were any more "gross" than Reagor's.  And Reagor definitely dropped more.

No, I guess they're defined by Jeezla's evaluation of where a player should be selected.

Well, that's foolish.  It's beyond rare for a CB to have both elite size and elite agility.  He also had an above average 10-yard split.  I'm not going to knock a 6'3" CB for having average long speed.  There are plenty of CBs who have succeeded without having great 40 times.

SinfulBronzeAlbertosaurus-max-1mb.gif

Again!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You can't unsee the drops Dyami had.

Every year there are tall cbs with great agility scores. Not that rare. Granted, a 6'3" cb is rare in general, but not a 6'2 or 6'1" cb that puts up a 6.8 3-cone. There's at least 3-5 of them every year. And they usually are much less agile than their agility scores suggest, like Eric Rowe (who's all around workout #'s poop on St Juste) and Jalen Mills. Eric Rowe ran a 6.7 3-cone, and he might be the stiffest cb i've seen, so again, I care much more about 40 yard dash/make up speed, than 3-cone and shuttle.

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, ET80 said:

It was a bad take. Own up to it and move on.

Nah, St Just will just kinda be a depth guy and Dyami will be out of the league in 3 years. Now gargle some mouth wash and move on.

Edited by Jeezla