Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

Just now, Jeezla said:

Nah, St Just will just kinda be a depth guy and Dyami will be out of the league in 3 years. Now gargle some mouth wash and move on.

You're really testing me right now.

• Like 1

This is about right for the SD LAC. They started so well, and their first pick on day three was outstanding, but the rest is blah. It's a good class, but it not helping them catch up with the Chiefs very much. 

J

Posted (edited)

I'd probably have Chargers in front of Philly, but behind NYG, pending Ojulari's knee prognosis. I might be higher on Elerson Smith than most though. Thought he was a early/mid 3rd.

Edited by Jeezla
41 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Nah, St Just will just kinda be a depth guy and Dyami will be out of the league in 3 years. Now gargle some mouth wash and move on.

44 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Take his weenie out yo mouf

Yeah...we aren't going to talk to any posters like that. Please cease talking to other people in that manner. Moving forward, warnings will be issued. 

If you have a problem, please feel free to pm 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Chargers are the quintessential B+ draft to me, which is when you stay put at all of your assigned picks and just take good players with good/great value at each. I really like their draft. I'd stack their rounds 1-2-3 against almost anyone's.

So you're saying it was actually an A draft. And not many people would disagree with you. 

1 minute ago, FinSting said:

So you're saying it was actually an A draft. And not many people would disagree with you. 

He's not. He is describing a B+ draft, just as he said. To be an A draft, a team must be more adventurous, eg Miami this year. For A+, you need to be both adventurous and prescient. 

• Like 1

The more I read into the last three or four teams, the more I think that Minnesota and Cincinnati had top ten drafts.  Maybe the Bills are in there too.

Chicago is an obvious No. 1 IMO, with Carolina second, Jets third, and Miami or Detroit after that.  Cincy might be next if I'm ranking the top ones.

Denver was good, but top 7 seems generous to me, but feasible.  Baltimore was a middle tier draft IMO, but I hate Oweh.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

He's not. He is describing a B+ draft, just as he said. 

"I'd stack their rounds 1-2-3 against almost anyone's." 

Yep. Definitely a A draft. 

44 minutes ago, FinSting said:

"I'd stack their rounds 1-2-3 against almost anyone's." 

Yep. Definitely a A draft. 

Again, no. It's B+ and that's at best. You can argue for a straight B based on Day #3.

The best draft of the first decade was the 2006 Saints, largely because they drafted two long term starters in the 7th round--Zach Strief and Marquez Colston. Getting good value in your own picks does not an A draft make. If it's just the first three picks, then clearly not.

Don't get me wrong. You can build a very good team with a run of B and B+ drafts. Look at the Ravens. You don't get an A unless you risk a D or an F, like the 2017 Chiefs. GFW rated them bottom 10, because they gave up too much for a marginal QB named Mahomes. No one gets worse on draft day, but many teams don't get much better. Getting a B means progress. 

J

7. Baltimore Ravens

Ravens 2021 NFL Draft Central | baltimoreravens.com

This Class In One Sentence:
A franchise that never panics when it comes to the draft

Pre-Draft Needs 
Edge, WR, IOL, S, CB

Selections
1. 27. Rashod Bateman - Minnesota | WR |
1. 31. Odafe Oweh - Penn State | EDGE |
3. 94. Ben Cleveland - Georgia | OG |
3. 104. Brandon Stephens - SMU | CB/S |
4. 131. Tylan Wallace - Oklahoma State | WR |
5. 160. Shaun Wade - Ohio State | CB/S |
5. 171. Daelin Hayes - Notre Dame | EDGE |
5. 184. Ben Mason - Michigan | FB |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
Man, I’m in love with those first two selections. Bateman gives the receiver corps something they didn’t have, a technician with easy releases who is adept at creating his own space. I don’t love the landing spot for him personally, but it at least shows that Baltimore are thinking about evolving the offense into something a little more conventional. Odafe Oweh was a complete wildcard in this draft and there would have been some terrible landing spots for him, but I'm really excited to see him in Baltimore. Normally he’s not the type of edge the Ravens go for, they like their long gnarly high floor guys there, so it’s going to be fascinating to see them work with someone as athletically talented as he is.

I like the Ben Cleveland selection. He feels like a Raven already, a mammoth interior lineman at 6’6 and 343 pounds who is a nice scheme fit. Tylan Wallace was also a top 100 player for me. It’s another selection polished route runner who can throw off defenders with his quickness in short areas. Echoing the Bateman selection, there has obviously been a point of emphasis to move away from the linear athletes at receiver. 

Shaun Wade in the 5th sounds about right for a talent who had a bizarre up and down career at Ohio State. That’s one of the most catastrophic returns for a senior year which didn’t involve an injury. A permanent move to slot safety should suit him well. Daelin Hayes was a team captain and big-time leader at Notre Dame - he feels like a potential special teams leader down the line. Ben Mason just feels like a Ravens-esque role player who could carve a niche for himself. 

What I Didn’t Like
Brandon Stephens was just off my radar, so I have no idea if that’s a reach or a good pick in the 3rd round. They seemed excited to get him, judging from the war room footage. Apparently, the team want to move him to safety when he transitioned from running back to corner. That feels like the kind of selection you make later in the draft – but we’ll see.  

• Like 6
5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

'I just didn't like what they did with their draft.' - Fan of rival team. 

I'll give my honest take as someone who is a Browns fan:

Selections
1. 27. Rashod Bateman - Minnesota | WR |

Great pick for them and probably the most obvious pick/mock to them throughout the process.

1. 31. Odafe Oweh - Penn State | EDGE |

I was probably Oweh's biggest hater in the world through the process. I think he's super raw, awful technically, and I think he's an athlete who plays football. He will be put in a good situation in Baltimore, but he's a boom or bust guy who reminds me a lot of Barkevius Mingo. Based off of this, I think this pick is bad, but I am generally more conservative and prefer higher floor players. Considering he's towards the end of the 1st, I don't fault them for rolling the dice.

3. 94. Ben Cleveland - Georgia | OG |

Great pick and good fit for all parties here.

3. 104. Brandon Stephens - SMU | CB/S |

I have no idea who this is.

4. 131. Tylan Wallace - Oklahoma State | WR |
5. 160. Shaun Wade - Ohio State | CB/S |

GREAT value here for both. I like Wallace's game a lot, and assuming they play Wade as a slot CB/S, I think he will do well as a Nickel guy with starting potential as a S going forward.

Overall, it looks like a solid draft that addresses their biggest need (WR) with some quality depth and guys who may be able to start in the next 2-3 years when other guys are coming off of contracts.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I was probably Oweh's biggest hater in the world through the process. I think he's super raw, awful technically, and I think he's an athlete who plays football. He will be put in a good situation in Baltimore, but he's a boom or bust guy who reminds me a lot of Barkevius Mingo. Based off of this, I think this pick is bad, but I am generally more conservative and prefer higher floor players. Considering he's towards the end of the 1st, I don't fault them for rolling the dice.

Overall, it looks like a solid draft that addresses their biggest need (WR) with some quality depth and guys who may be able to start in the next 2-3 years when other guys are coming off of contracts.

See, that’s one of my big problems with this draft. I agree with you on Oweh. He’s an all around athlete who doesn’t know how to play Edge. Upside is there, but he’s so raw it’s at least two years away. And the floor is sub basement low.

Bateman was a good pick. I was preparing to try to like and justify the Titans taking him at 22, so that’s ok. Some good picks otherwise, but I think they’re well outside the top 10.