Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

We discussed this in the Ravens forum, but I, and more importantly, the team does NOT see Oweh as a low floor player. He is low floor as a pure pass rusher, but he can already set the edge and play the run very well, which is enough for him to get heavy snaps very quickly. Eric DeCosta literally compared his game to Courtney Upshaw (with a lot more athleticism) in a recent interview. This Ravens defense just needs that solid/stout player at the edge. They can scheme up pass rush while leaning on their secondary as the strength of the team to buy the pass rush time. That's been good enough to keep the defense in the top tier the last few years. The fact that Oweh has that elite athleticism gives the pick home run potential for him to perhaps develop into that focal point pass rusher if everything works out perfectly. 

The "0 zero sacks in his last year" stat is so jarring that it had to cause him to fall, which is great for the Ravens because a talent like this shouldn't be available this low. If he accidentally fell on top of 2 sacks, he'd have been long gone. He only played 7 games and he had 6.5 tackles for loss, so it's not like he wasn't there in the backfield making plays.

The comparison I'd have for him is more Jadeveon Clowney: The NFL player, not the highest rated defensive prospect in a generation. Sack production is low, but set the edge, play the run extremely well, and draw a higher than normal share of double teams due to the offense being wary of your strength and athleticism. That may be a bust at #1 overall, but at #31 for this team and this system, that'd be a hit. Bateman was exactly the player the Ravens needed in the draft, a legit pure X, and I still like that pick a lot. But after looking closer at the picks, Oweh is my favorite rookie.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I seem to notice that a lot of guys had “elite workouts” this year. Creed Humphrey is the most athletic center ever, Oweh with a generational workout. Are these just hyped up pro day numbers?

Who knows, probably a reason to be cautious - but even so those would have to be some crazy fabrications. Oweh was a known freak before the pro day to be fair (although plenty of people raise an eyebrow at Penn State testing), Creed less so I would say. 

31 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

We discussed this in the Ravens forum, but I, and more importantly, the team does NOT see Oweh as a low floor player. He is low floor as a pure pass rusher, but he can already set the edge and play the run very well, which is enough for him to get heavy snaps very quickly. Eric DeCosta literally compared his game to Courtney Upshaw (with a lot more athleticism) in a recent interview. This Ravens defense just needs that solid/stout player at the edge. They can scheme up pass rush while leaning on their secondary as the strength of the team to buy the pass rush time. That's been good enough to keep the defense in the top tier the last few years. The fact that Oweh has that elite athleticism gives the pick home run potential for him to perhaps develop into that focal point pass rusher if everything works out perfectly. 

The "0 zero sacks in his last year" stat is so jarring that it had to cause him to fall, which is great for the Ravens because a talent like this shouldn't be available this low. If he accidentally fell on top of 2 sacks, he'd have been long gone. He only played 7 games and he had 6.5 tackles for loss, so it's not like he wasn't there in the backfield making plays.

The comparison I'd have for him is more Jadeveon Clowney: The NFL player, not the highest rated defensive prospect in a generation. Sack production is low, but set the edge, play the run extremely well, and draw a higher than normal share of double teams due to the offense being wary of your strength and athleticism. That may be a bust at #1 overall, but at #31 for this team and this system, that'd be a hit. Bateman was exactly the player the Ravens needed in the draft, a legit pure X, and I still like that pick a lot. But after looking closer at the picks, Oweh is my favorite rookie.

Sarcastic Joke GIF

Dude got abused by everyone that got hands on him but ok, I've never seen a so called tough edge setter on the ground so much...

Edited by MSURacerDT55

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Throw in who those sacks were against (Memphis, Idaho, Kent State x2, Purdue, and Michigan State x2 and these were all 7 of his career sacks),

Overall the importance of Sacks is overblown, but Oweh did have a Sack against Tristan Wirfs in 2019 that was canceled out by a DB's penalty. 

This would've been a Sack against Thayer Munford too if Fields doesn't have the ball out as quick as he did-

unnamed.gif

And Oweh is capable of doing this to 'name' Tackles like Alaric Jackson-

So it's not like he's solely flashing against Kent State.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

He was a very good run defender this past year, raised his PFF grade in that area to 59.5 to 89.7 and lined up a lot of five-tech with bodies flying around.

This. The Ravens took Courtney Upshaw at Pick #35 nine years ago. He was a stout College run defender like Oweh who did have strong Sack production. Difference is, he was a slug with no upside athleticism to dig massive progression out of. He ended up with 5 Sacks in 4 Seasons as a starter for the Ravens. 

So the FO is all too happy to acquire someone already competent against the run in Oweh at Pick#31, who still has the natural twitch, bend, burst, length, power, and speed to turn into a productive pass rusher as well.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I assume they'll have him as their "RUSHMAN" in their base 3-4, he's going to have to beat out McPhee who is a highly productive run defender. Although, this is the last year on his contract.

McPhee is still a monster, but he's also an older oft injured Vet at this point whose snap count needs to be heavily managed. So he's always been a rotational piece for us. In passing situations he's more of an interior rusher for us as well. Though we mostly just deploy him against the run.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

No doubt you can't question their scheme and where they send their various looks/pressures from, but if their goal is to get a guy who is going to add value there as a RUSHMAN Edge guy, I don't see it.

As you note, our scheme produces a ton of favorable opportunities for EDGE defenders. Unblocked, against TEs, etc. Most of Judon's production came from these opportunities, which is why Ravens fans were happy to not pay him and simply reap the comp pick. Our defense is a whole lot of fun for both SAM and RUSH defenders. Allowing Odafe and his sub 4.4 speed to feast on these opportunities as well, doesn't seem like such a doom and gloom scenario imo.

So I think he does add value in that I trust him to run down guys like Mahomes and other infinity play extenders, when our high end coverage unit is doing it's job, more than I would other options. Odafe in rotation at RUSH with McPhee has a lot more value to us than Jaylon Ferguson being in the role would've. I trust him as a run defender and his explosion/speed will definitely be an immediate asset. 

46 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I actually see them using him more like the Patriots used Jamie Collins when he came into the league. Just take advantage of his athleticism all over the field. If you watch Jamie's first few years in the league, yes he rushed on blitz packages but his blitzes were edge, a-gap, stunts, delayed, etc. He was also in coverage a lot, dropped in, QB spy. Really did it all. 

Can absolutely see Odafe being deployed this way. We would do this with Tyus Bowser(Another unrefined super athlete type) to get him on the field with our other EDGE guys like Judon, Ngakoue, ZDS, etc. Now that Tyus will step into a starting role at SAM, it seems only natural for Oweh to get those kinds of looks.

• Like 2

It's a crazy year. Dave Gettleman learned some new tricks, the Patriots have had their flashiest offseason ever under Belichick, Cleveland is good again, A-Rod wants out... but one thing that hasn't changed is Baltimore. They have one of the best front offices in the league and continue to patiently improve their team, year after year.

Bateman, Cleveland and Wallace are all great picks. I didn't know who Oweh was until they took him in the 1st, so I guess that's a roll of the dice like Goldfish says. At least he's a great athlete and he'll be well coached.

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Sarcastic Joke GIF

Dude got abused by everyone that got hands on him but ok....

I've watched that clip before. He badly misread the first play and missed the end around. Is there any other play you want to highlight where he got badly beat? I definitely didn't see him being abused throughout that game.

19 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I've watched that clip before. He badly misread the first play and missed the end around. Is there any other play you want to highlight where he got badly beat? I definitely didn't see him being abused throughout that game.

Go back and count how many times he touched the ground, guys should not be on the ground that much, its alarming in my eyes. I never made excuses for the guy because his name came up in our forum and I said the same thing to be fair. I said that I would have broken my tv if we drafted him at #26. 

I just didn't see much competitiveness, instinct or fight back, but he did have good effort. But then again, maybe those coaches think they can coach him up better than PSU did

As far as the comment, I dont have an issue with the pick but more the label of him being some stud run stuffer. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

30 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Go back and count how many times he touched the ground, guys should not be on the ground that much, its alarming in my eyes. I never made excuses for the guy because his name came up in our forum and I said the same thing to be fair. I said that I would have broken my tv if we drafted him at #26. 

I just didn't see much competitiveness, instinct or fight back, but he did have good effort. But then again, maybe those coaches think they can coach him up better than PSU did

As far as the comment, I dont have an issue with the pick but more the label of him being some stud run stuffer. 

It's an upside pick! I don't think anyone here is arguing he is a stud run defender just yet but he is a good one with a ton of room to improve. I have little doubt that Wink will put him in situations to succeed, lets remember he isn't being brought here to be a 4-3 end but and outside 3-4 backer who flows to the football. I mean this Ravens staff has turned late round picks such as Judon, Zadarius Smith, Mcphee and others into very good pass rushers and none of them had any where close to the athletic ability as Oweh. I'm looking forward to watching his development.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

I seem to notice that a lot of guys had “elite workouts” this year. Creed Humphrey is the most athletic center ever, Oweh with a generational workout. Are these just hyped up pro day numbers?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Hell yes

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Overall the importance of Sacks is overblown, but Oweh did have a Sack against Tristan Wirfs in 2019 that was canceled out by a DB's penalty. 

...so?

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

This would've been a Sack against Thayer Munford too if Fields doesn't have the ball out as quick as he did-

unnamed.gif

"Would have been"

Are we really going to evaluate "would have been" production on a 1 step drop?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

It's an upside pick! I don't think anyone here is arguing he is a stud run defender just yet but he is a good one with a ton of room to improve. I have little doubt that Wink will put him in situations to succeed, lets remember he isn't being brought here to be a 4-3 end but and outside 3-4 backer who flows to the football. I mean this Ravens staff has turned late round picks such as Judon, Zadarius Smith, Mcphee and others into very good pass rushers and none of them had any where close to the athletic ability as Oweh. I'm looking forward to watching his development.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

We discussed this in the Ravens forum, but I, and more importantly, the team does NOT see Oweh as a low floor player. He is low floor as a pure pass rusher, but he can already set the edge and play the run very well, which is enough for him to get heavy snaps very quickly