Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

6. Detroit Lions

Detroit Lions War Room Had Crazy Excited Dad Energy When They Picked Penei  Sewell

This Class In One Sentence:
A fist-bumping, hand-slapping kinda draft

Pre-Draft Needs 
WR, LB, S, DL 

Selections
1. 7. Penei Sewell - Oregon | OT |
2. 41. Levi Onwuzurike - Washington | DT |
3. 72. Alim McNeill - NC State | DT |
3. 101. Ifeatu Melifonwu - Syracuse | CB |
4. 112. Amon-Ra St. Brown - USC | WR |
4. 113. Derrick Barnes - Purdue | LB |
7. 257. Jermar Jefferson - Oregon State | RB |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
Man I really like Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes, and the energy they are bringing to an organization which fell asleep under Matt Patricia. Campbell is a ridiculous human being, but man, somehow so likeable at the same time. I just want that dude to hi-five me one time, that's all I want now, I just want to feed off that untapped energy. Watching both those dudes joyfully pumping their fists after landing Penei Sewell was genuinely one of the high points of the whole draft. God, the unbridled sheer excitement in that room, Campbell pumping his fists and Holmes whooping and banging the table as his bewildered and slightly frightened owner took the phone to speak to Penei. 

Sewell genuinely has generational upside, at least as a run blocker. He’s still so young at 20 years old and there’s significant room to grow an already impressive resume. He's just one mean son of a brute with a rare twitchy athleticism and power combination for a man of his size. I cannot wait to see him get after it in the NFL. 

I quite like the back-to-back selections at interior defensive line, even if it wasn’t the most obvious shop for the Lions to go rifling around in – although there’s a sense the team will be playing more uneven fronts under the new regime. Alim McNeil feels like better value at 72, than Onwuzurike at 41 but both were well-liked as prospects. Onwuzurike wins with quickness and power and plays with good leverage. McNeil is very stout in the run game, bull-strong and has a squatty thick build which makes him tough to move.

Ifeatu Melifonwu at 101 also feels like good value, especially as he was getting earlier round hype. He’s got an enormous wingspan to impact throwing lanes and got his hands on a lot of footballs when challenged. Amon-Ra St. Brown had a weird testing profile, but those agility and explosion numbers show up on film and he’s a much more refined route-runner than his brother coming out. I also like the Derrick Barnes selection at 113, who I was convinced would end up on the Patriots. He’s a hard-nosed physical SAM-backer, who packs a punch on contact.

What I Didn’t Like
I really like the class, there are very few complaints about the quality of the players chosen at each spot. Looking at the depth chart, you wonder how that passing attack is going to shape out with the receivers there and only spending one pick there was a surprise given the need. The Lions did have a very solid UDFA class and bought in a couple of interesting names - Jonathan Adams from Ark State with his size and athletic profile, and Sage Surratt who was well-liked early in the process. It’ll be interesting if either of those can come through and play meaningful time there. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

6. Detroit Lions

Detroit Lions War Room Had Crazy Excited Dad Energy When They Picked Penei  Sewell

This Class In One Sentence:
A fist-bumping, hand-slapping kinda draft

Pre-Draft Needs 
WR, LB, S, DL 

Selections
3. 101. Ifeatu Melifonwu - Syracuse | CB |
4. 112. Amon-Ra St. Brown - USC | WR |
4. 113. Derrick Barnes - Purdue | LB |
7. 257. Jermar Jefferson - Oregon State | RB |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
Man I really like Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes, and the energy they are bringing to an organization which fell asleep under Matt Patricia. Campbell is a ridiculous human being, but man, somehow so likeable at the same time. I just want that dude to hi-five me one time, that's all I want now, I just want to feed off that untapped energy. Watching both those dudes joyfully pumping their fists after landing Penei Sewell was genuinely one of the high points of the whole draft. God, the unbridled sheer excitement in that room, Campbell pumping his fists and Holmes whooping and banging the table as his bewildered and slightly frightened owner took the phone to speak to Penei. 

Sewell genuinely has generational upside, at least as a run blocker. He’s still so young at 20 years old and there’s significant room to grow an already impressive resume. He's just one mean son of a brute with a rare twitchy athleticism and power combination for a man of his size. I cannot wait to see him get after it in the NFL. 

I quite like the back-to-back selections at interior defensive line, even if it wasn’t the most obvious shop for the Lions to go rifling around in – although there’s a sense the team will be playing more uneven fronts under the new regime. Alim McNeil feels like better value at 72, than Onwuzurike at 41 but both were well-liked as prospects. Onwuzurike wins with quickness and power and plays with good leverage. McNeil is very stout in the run game, bull-strong and has a squatty thick build which makes him tough to move.

Ifeatu Melifonwu at 101 also feels like good value, especially as he was getting earlier round hype. He’s got an enormous wingspan to impact throwing lanes and got his hands on a lot of footballs when challenged. Amon-Ra St. Brown had a weird testing profile, but those agility and explosion numbers show up on film and he’s a much more refined route-runner than his brother coming out. I also like the Derrick Barnes selection at 113, who I was convinced would end up on the Patriots. He’s a hard-nosed physical SAM-backer, who packs a punch on contact.

What I Didn’t Like
I really like the class, there are very few complaints about the quality of the players chosen at each spot. Looking at the depth chart, you wonder how that passing attack is going to shape out with the receivers there and only spending one pick there was a surprise given the need. The Lions did have a very solid UDFA class and bought in a couple of interesting names - Jonathan Adams from Ark State with his size and athletic profile, and Sage Surratt who was well-liked early in the process. It’ll be interesting if either of those can come through and play meaningful time there. 

The Lions sat and watch everyone motion and posture and just nailed their draft 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Sewell was a gift at 7th overall, but still all 3 of these picks felt like statements. If Onwuzurike and McNeill develop that could be an awesome DI duo. Then you add Sewell and extend Ragnow on the offensive side. (Literal)Big boy moves for Detroit's new regime. 

• Like 2

The more I read about Oweh from posters in here he sorta reminds me of Danielle Hunter for the Vikings organization uber athletic but dropped because he didnt produce stats (Hunter was also like a 3rd or 4th round draft pick not a 1st rounder), People bashed Hunter for his low sack production in college and look at him now? Given Hunter wasnt asked to rush the passer in the Tigers defensive scheme but more of the same. Was it sorta the same for Oweh in his role in PSUs defensive scheme or no?

• Like 1

I think St Brown ends up the 2nd best player from this draft class for Detroit.  I'm not overly high on either of those DT's.

Also just want to state that seeing people get butthurt over people disagreeing with them is exhausting. There isn't one here among us who might be whiffing on some "sure thing" or "great eval".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Was it sorta the same for Oweh in his role in PSUs defensive scheme or no?

I'm not sure what scheme has to do with his ability to win one on one match-ups in pass rush situations. He just didn't have any moves, he just bull rushed and got sat down on, he didn't evolve, it happens.

And actually the topic was Oweh as a run stopper, I think the consensus is that he needs tremendous work as a pass rusher.

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm not sure what scheme has to do with his ability to win one on one match-ups in pass rush situations. He just didn't have any moves, he just bull rushed and got sat down on, he didn't evolve, it happens.

And actually the topic was Oweh as a run stopper, I think the consensus is that he needs tremendous work as a pass rusher.

Danielle Hunter wasnt asked to rush the passer in college he had like 3.5 sack total in his career at LSU because of the scheme they had and what the coaches asked him to do and now he is one of the better pass rushers in the league, In PSUs defensive scheme was he asked to rush the passer or was it along the same lines as what LSU asked Danille Hunter to do? So yes the defensive scheme and what coaches ask players to do can have an affect on stats.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Danielle Hunter wasnt asked to rush the passer in college he had like 3.5 sack total in his career at LSU because of the scheme they had and what the coaches asked him to do and now he is one of the better pass rushers in the league, In PSUs defensive scheme was he asked to rush the passer or was it along the same lines as what LSU asked Danille Hunter to do? So yes the defensive scheme and what coaches ask players to do can have an affect on stats.

Well according to your theory and the same argument, the same could be said for Rashan Gary. People claimed it was scheme and he got to the league and has been average at best. I see the comparisons but Hunter at least understood the concept of rushing the passer which sped up his learning curve, Oweh has no idea what he is doing. 

Also he played the traditional 5/7 tech in a 4-3 and yes he did rush the passer on 3rd downs 

Yes, they have similarities but Jayson Oweh is not Danielle Hunter, Jayson Oweh is not Jadeveon Clowney, he is his own unique character with his own circumstances and outcome.

And for the record, John Chavis was a buffoon for what he had Hunter doing or allowing him to do, he clearly should have been in attack mode at all times

Edited by MSURacerDT55

18 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

He's not. He is describing a B+ draft, just as he said. To be an A draft, a team must be more adventurous, eg Miami this year. For A+, you need to be both adventurous and prescient. 

Yup. Its totally subjective, but to get an A from me you need to make great value picks at positions of need AND maneuver the draft successfully to pick up additional value. The Vikings have been masters at this recently. Carolina and NYG also did great with that this year. 

23 minutes ago, Starless said:

brother of Equanimeous St. Brown, who definitely got the short end of that stick

Don’t forget Osiris St-Brown. 

Who, without checking, I’m pretty sure it’s an Egyptian figure as well.