Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

40 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I watched 3 game films of him. He had multiple drops in each game that hit him right in the hands. Therefore, he has bad hands. Not sure what's dramatic or short-sighted about that. I would have said the same thing if the Eagles drafted him. He has bad hands until he proves he doesn't. And Reagor is just sort of there until he proves otherwise.

Your exact words were "Dyami has the worst hands I've seen in years."  This is objectively incorrect, even going back as far as 1 year, hence the short-sightedness. 

EDIT for Philly fans: I'm not going to hijack Goldfish's thread over an argument as pointless as this, so this will be my last post here on the subject.  Feel free to mention me in the NFCE thread and we can continue it there if you're that eager.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

Throughly enjoyed each and every write up. 

As a Jets fan I certainly thought we had a top 5 draft even taking bias out of it. The fact you had us second echoes those thoughts. I think our first four picks were just ridiculously perfect which is strange to say after the nightmares over the last decade.

Through rounds 5-6 we had six lottery style picks which I feel will turn into gold or off the roster in a couple of years. Nasildreen was my favourite of those defense players. I thought we should of took a flier on a pass rusher like Quincy Roche instead of the 5 dbs we did take late. 

As for the trade up; personally I liked it. Obviously you’d of loved AVT to fall to #23 but realistically that was never happening. We had so many picks over the next two years so giving up capital to add the elite talent isn’t something I’m upset about. Considering Michael Carter and Hamsah Nasrildeen were both mocked to us using our 3rd rounders made the deal feel even better. 

Great write ups and thank you for the great content. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, Chiefer said:

I seem to notice that a lot of guys had “elite workouts” this year. Creed Humphrey is the most athletic center ever, Oweh with a generational workout. Are these just hyped up pro day numbers?

Oweh tuned as fast as 4.33 at Penn State, same time as Saquan’s best time. While Proday inflation is likely responsible for some inflation in his numbers, Penn State athletes have consistently showed up at the combine and lived up to their program hype, which runs counter to some programs where we see some very drastic differences between program numbers and combine testing. Very likely Oweh is roughly a 4.38-4.43 type speed guy.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:06 AM, wackywabbit said:

I definitely think we are seeing pro day inflation... but I'm comfortable with my eye test saying that was an elite time for an edge.

Yeah he’s definitely running fast, he also trips a little with his release and at around the 20 second mark. Just clocking the video he starts a split second before the 17 second mark and finishes just a hair before the 21 second mark. With a clean start and run he’s probably a legit high 4.3 guy at the combine, but with that same run, he’s probably somewhere around 4.43 or so as my best guess.

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I would not have put Chicago #1. I think they are getting too much credit for the Fields trade, for which they overpaid substantially.

100% with you here. It was the big reason I was okay with staying at 15 for Mac with the Pats. I dont think the jump between the potential of Fields from Mac is worth the price the Bears paid. 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:37 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Sarcastic Joke GIF

Dude got abused by everyone that got hands on him but ok, I've never seen a so called tough edge setter on the ground so much...

In this clip he was “on the ground” exactly 2x at roughly the 2:24 mark for the play where the guard delivers a great block and also at 5:54 mark where he holds up to a double team from Davis and the #78 then disengages when the RB makes a move and opens himself up to #78 who takes advantage of the opening. However considering there was a penalty of some kind (perhaps holding?)... that play doesn’t even count.

Beyond that any time he was “on the ground” he was in on a tackle taking down a ball carrier. He was taking on double team blocks, setting the edge, etc.

+ 1:44 he destroys #75 collapsing him into the backfield to disrupt the play.

- 2:24 mentioned above. Gets destroyed by the LG there.

N 2:28 sets the edge against #75 and pushes him into the backfield once again, impacting the play and almost getting the TFL... But then he gives up the edge, the RB makes a great play, and he goes for 7 yds. That was poor defense by Penn State to allow that run, but within a more structured/talented defense, Oweh’s impact there would’ve been huge.

+ 3:18 he maintains the edge, disengages from the tackle and makes the tackle on the runner.

+ 3:27 he successfully takes Fields as the pitch man and then chases down the runner to assist in the tackle.

- 3:53 he gets abused by a double team block by the OT and OG, but maintains his balance.

+ 4:20 he takes on a pulling OL, ensures the blow and then dives in for an assist in bringing down the RB.

+ 5:32 he cleanly sets the edge against #78 then disengages and makes the tackle on the RB.

+ 5:54 described above. Holds the double team and does his job on the play. Falling at the end when the RB goes through another hole doesn’t absolve Oweh’s impact.

+ 6:03 Oweh knocks #78 into the backfield and latches onto and prevents Fields from building the momentum needed to get into the endzone. Great play.

+ 6:20 Oweh destroys the TE #89 on the play and gets into the backfield, only a play is already made on the runner.

+ 6:25 last play he takes on a double team from the TE and RT, sifts through to get to Wyatt Davis, sifts through to ultimately get in on the stop on the RB.
—————

All in all I’m not sure what tape you’re watching, but in run support he was making plenty of impact plays and for someone described as being on the ground “so much” you would think it would be far more than 1 or 2x in a game.

That seems much more like hate and much less like viable criticism of play.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 1:19 AM, goldfishwars said:

7. Baltimore Ravens

Ravens 2021 NFL Draft Central | baltimoreravens.com

This Class In One Sentence:
A franchise that never panics when it comes to the draft

Pre-Draft Needs 
Edge, WR, IOL, S, CB

Selections
1. 27. Rashod Bateman - Minnesota | WR |
1. 31. Odafe Oweh - Penn State | EDGE |
3. 94. Ben Cleveland - Georgia | OG |
3. 104. Brandon Stephens - SMU | CB/S |
4. 131. Tylan Wallace - Oklahoma State | WR |
5. 160. Shaun Wade - Ohio State | CB/S |
5. 171. Daelin Hayes - Notre Dame | EDGE |
5. 184. Ben Mason - Michigan | FB |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
Man, I’m in love with those first two selections. Bateman gives the receiver corps something they didn’t have, a technician with easy releases who is adept at creating his own space. I don’t love the landing spot for him personally, but it at least shows that Baltimore are thinking about evolving the offense into something a little more conventional. Odafe Oweh was a complete wildcard in this draft and there would have been some terrible landing spots for him, but I'm really excited to see him in Baltimore. Normally he’s not the type of edge the Ravens go for, they like their long gnarly high floor guys there, so it’s going to be fascinating to see them work with someone as athletically talented as he is.

I like the Ben Cleveland selection. He feels like a Raven already, a mammoth interior lineman at 6’6 and 343 pounds who is a nice scheme fit. Tylan Wallace was also a top 100 player for me. It’s another selection polished route runner who can throw off defenders with his quickness in short areas. Echoing the Bateman selection, there has obviously been a point of emphasis to move away from the linear athletes at receiver. 

Shaun Wade in the 5th sounds about right for a talent who had a bizarre up and down career at Ohio State. That’s one of the most catastrophic returns for a senior year which didn’t involve an injury. A permanent move to slot safety should suit him well. Daelin Hayes was a team captain and big-time leader at Notre Dame - he feels like a potential special teams leader down the line. Ben Mason just feels like a Ravens-esque role player who could carve a niche for himself. 

What I Didn’t Like
Brandon Stephens was just off my radar, so I have no idea if that’s a reach or a good pick in the 3rd round. They seemed excited to get him, judging from the war room footage. Apparently, the team want to move him to safety when he transitioned from running back to corner. That feels like the kind of selection you make later in the draft – but we’ll see.  

This is about where I would have our draft. While I do like the idea of Oweh as an impact run defender that has a high level floor as someone like a Jadeveon Clowney, I think 1) he definitely is a boom/bust pass rush option 2) the Brown Jr trade/loss has to factor into the value of the draft class being somewhat lowered in comparison to other classes and so I think where you have us feels largely right. I could also see us being slightly lower down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

I just did.

I would have put the Bears in the 3-5 range. It is noteworthy that Denver passed on Fields. 

J

Oh I know. I’m just saying that I thought the Bears’ draft was so good, and is so universally liked, that it being the best is like the default position.

Getting Jenkins in the second is a nasty steal, and so was Dazz Newsome.

I was expecting the Titans to take Jenkins at 22. And I wouldn’t have absolutely hated it, since they were set to use a high pick on a tackle.

Also I loved Fields. The draft saved the current administration’s jobs as well, since all Fields has to do is show some promise, while being in a good position.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 1:33 PM, DreamKid said:

Sewell was a gift at 7th overall, but still all 3 of these picks felt like statements. If Onwuzurike and McNeill develop that could be an awesome DI duo. Then you add Sewell and extend Ragnow on the offensive side. (Literal)Big boy moves for Detroit's new regime. 

Absolutely. I loved what they did with their draft. Reminds me of when they brought in Haloti Ngata and that DT from (Auburn? Can’t recall his name) and it added some attitude to their defense.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Absolutely. I loved what they did with their draft. Reminds me of when they brought in Haloti Ngata and that DT from (Auburn? Can’t recall his name) and it added some attitude to their defense.

IIRC Nick Fairley was gone by the time they acquired Ngata. You might be mixing that up with when they initially drafted Fairley, the year after the picked Ndamukong Suh. Or maybe you're thinking of A'Shawn Robinson who they drafted around the Haloti trade, but he went to Bama not Auburn. IDK though my Lions history could be all off 😅.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Your exact words were "Dyami has the worst hands I've seen in years."  This is objectively incorrect, even going back as far as 1 year, hence the short-sightedness. 

EDIT for Philly fans: I'm not going to hijack Goldfish's thread over an argument as pointless as this, so this will be my last post here on the subject.  Feel free to mention me in the NFCE thread and we can continue it there if you're that eager.

He does have the worst hands I've seen in years. Do other people drop a higher percentage of passes? Sure, but Dyami has more "wtf" drops than I've seen in years. Pretty simple, and subjectively correct.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

IIRC Nick Fairley was gone by the time they acquired Ngata. You might be mixing that up with when they initially drafted Fairley, the year after the picked Ndamukong Suh. Or maybe you're thinking of A'Shawn Robinson who they drafted around the Haloti trade, but he went to Bama not Auburn. IDK though my Lions history could be all off 😅.

You’re right. I mainly just remembered they had two impact DTs there and I thought Fairley was one of them for a short period of time. I remembered Ngata going there and figured Blayne he was the other impact DT I was thinking of... It was actually Ndamokung Suh and Nick Fairley. I remembered they added some attitude upfront to that defense. Both were drafted by the Lions organization so it’s probably an even better parallel to Alim and Levi.

But yeah I definitely misremembered there big time.

• Like 1