Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

I think I would have had Denver 1, Carolina 2, and the rest after that is stew, mix it any which way you want, until the bottom 7-8 teams.  Like you said, 3 years from now this draft will look a whole lot different in retrospect, but still a fun exercise to prognosticate.

17 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

In this clip he was “on the ground” exactly 2x at roughly the 2:24 mark for the play where the guard delivers a great block and also at 5:54 mark where he holds up to a double team from Davis and the #78 then disengages when the RB makes a move and opens himself up to #78 who takes advantage of the opening. However considering there was a penalty of some kind (perhaps holding?)... that play doesn’t even count.

Beyond that any time he was “on the ground” he was in on a tackle taking down a ball carrier. He was taking on double team blocks, setting the edge, etc.

+ 1:44 he destroys #75 collapsing him into the backfield to disrupt the play.

- 2:24 mentioned above. Gets destroyed by the LG there.

N 2:28 sets the edge against #75 and pushes him into the backfield once again, impacting the play and almost getting the TFL... But then he gives up the edge, the RB makes a great play, and he goes for 7 yds. That was poor defense by Penn State to allow that run, but within a more structured/talented defense, Oweh’s impact there would’ve been huge.

+ 3:18 he maintains the edge, disengages from the tackle and makes the tackle on the runner.

+ 3:27 he successfully takes Fields as the pitch man and then chases down the runner to assist in the tackle.

- 3:53 he gets abused by a double team block by the OT and OG, but maintains his balance.

+ 4:20 he takes on a pulling OL, ensures the blow and then dives in for an assist in bringing down the RB.

+ 5:32 he cleanly sets the edge against #78 then disengages and makes the tackle on the RB.

+ 5:54 described above. Holds the double team and does his job on the play. Falling at the end when the RB goes through another hole doesn’t absolve Oweh’s impact.

+ 6:03 Oweh knocks #78 into the backfield and latches onto and prevents Fields from building the momentum needed to get into the endzone. Great play.

+ 6:20 Oweh destroys the TE #89 on the play and gets into the backfield, only a play is already made on the runner.

+ 6:25 last play he takes on a double team from the TE and RT, sifts through to get to Wyatt Davis, sifts through to ultimately get in on the stop on the RB.
—————

All in all I’m not sure what tape you’re watching, but in run support he was making plenty of impact plays and for someone described as being on the ground “so much” you would think it would be far more than 1 or 2x in a game.

That seems much more like hate and much less like viable criticism of play.

God, I love the buzz words to make it seem better than what you natural eyes tell you.

"destroys"

"sets the edge"

"mantains the edge"

"disengages"

So is this a highlight in your book?

43 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

God, I love the buzz words to make it seem better than what you natural eyes tell you.

"destroys"

"sets the edge"

"mantains the edge"

"disengages"

I'm pretty sure any comment in this forum that says anything remotely positive towards the Ravens you have a problem with and you just need to run your mouth.

Maybe it's just a product of being a fan of a insignificant franchise for 20 years and now that they have a successful season you just suffer from diarrhea of the mouth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayLew52 said:

I'm pretty sure any comment in this forum that says anything remotely positive towards the Ravens you have a problem with and you just need to run your mouth.

Maybe it's just a product of being a fan of a insignificant franchise for 20 years and now that they have a successful season you just suffer from diarrhea of the mouth.

Yawn....

Answer the question, do you see this as a highlight or no....

• Like 1

In no scenario could I ever agree with Denver (let's not draft Justin Fields even though he's right there) being 4th. I thought they dropped the ball on that.

The later picks are good enough, but I'd be livid if I were a Denver fan. Another year of QB purgatory. Well done.

57 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

"destroys"

"sets the edge"

"mantains the edge"

"disengages"

DiamondBS is a very predictable poster. If X is associated in any way with Baltimore, X = good. If X is associated in any way with Cinci, Cleveland or Pittsburgh, X = bad or risky.

• Like 2

I was happy with Cleveland’s draft. Remove Newsomes injury history and he’s a top 10-15 pick. However, you can’t just remove that, so I’m worried long term.

Huge fan of the JOK pick. I think him and Togiai will be our best rookies long term.

• Like 1

Great rankings and analysis goldfish.

If I'm ranking, it's Bears, Panthers, Jets, Lions, Dolphins, Bengals, Vikings, Browns, Pats, Broncos as the top 10, but reasonable minds may differ.  I do agree with the gist of most of the rankings.

Bears win for getting a QB at a deal and stealing Jenkins.  Panthers had my dream draft, Jets did well with the ammo they had, Dolphins too, Bengals got excellent value with almost all of their first five picks, Vikings loaded up with talent and a successor QB, Browns did a very standard good draft, Pats took bad QB but killed it with the next few, Broncos got some good players, but I'm not in love with their draft.

• Like 2

Obviously the Jets couldn't fill every hole in one offseason. Our last GM was all time bad, he was terrible and had this roster lacking talent at every position.

Our right side of the OL is fine for this season. We have competition at RG and Fant will start at RT.  That left side has the upside to be dominant.  We have a young roster so we aren't fighting for the playoffs this season anyways, but at the very least they set up things so that Wilson won't be in a situation like Darnold was. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:19 AM, goldfishwars said:

19. Arizona Cardinals 

Expected roles for the Arizona Cardinals' 7 draft picks in 2021

This Class In One Sentence:
A draft masterminded by a GM who always seems to do just about enough to keep his job

Pre-Draft Needs 
CB, IOL, WR, TE, IDL, RB

Selections
1. 16. Zaven Collins - Tulsa | LB |
2. 49. Rondale Moore - Purdue | WR |
4. 136. Marco Wilson - Florida | CB |
6. 210. Victor Dimukeje - Duke | DE |
6. 223. Tay Gowan - UCF | CB |
7. 243. James Wiggins - Cincinnati | S |
7. 247. Michal Menet - Penn State | C |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
I like a good few of the players selected in isolation. Zaven has extremely light feet for a 6’5 270 linebacker. Right now I’m not sure what he is, but he is something. If he can stay healthy, Rondale Moore gives them something they couldn’t get from Andy Isabella. They might see him as a satellite back. He is explosive with the ball in his hands, stout and incredible contact balance too.

There's stuff to like about all of the later round selections. Tay Gowan in the 6th and James Wiggins in the 7th might be my favorite selections of the whole draft. Gowan is a PFF favourite and made a big impact in his only season as a starter in 2019. Wiggins probably dropped due to his knee issues, but he’s a versatile safety who can play close to the line or drop as a deeper defender. Dimukeje and Menet are likeable too, as fringe prospects with a shot to make the team. 

What I Didn’t Like
While I like a lot of the players selected, the process and strategy still seems off. Drafting a 270-pound linebacker one year after drafting a 230 pound one, right in the middle of the first round feels a bit too much like Keim falling in love with a prospect and zeroing in on him. It was kind of wild to see how amped he was when they released the War Room footage, given that most people didn't view Zaven in that value range. It's clear that some teams don’t value linebacker at all, certainly not enough to spend back-to-back first rounders on them even if they will play different roles in the defense.

The other side of the Rondale coin, is that he has had his health issues and probably needs a creative co-ordinator to get the most out of him. Plus, it's another similar body to throw onto a receiver pile which hasn’t produced anything under this regime. Trading away future assets (2022 4th round) to move up and draft Marco Wilson, who is solid - but a longer bet to nail down a starter role early on. Corner was a pretty big deal for the Cards heading into the draft and well done to big Steve for remembering that he badly needed a cornerback when he made that trade, I guess. But this is the kind of move which left you short handed in the draft in the first place. 

I legitimately believe that the Cardinals have the best safety room in the NFL, front-to-back.

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

Oh I know. I’m just saying that I thought the Bears’ draft was so good, and is so universally liked, that it being the best is like the default position.

Getting Jenkins in the second is a nasty steal, and so was Dazz Newsome.

I was expecting the Titans to take Jenkins at 22. And I wouldn’t have absolutely hated it, since they were set to use a high pick on a tackle.

Also I loved Fields. The draft saved the current administration’s jobs as well, since all Fields has to do is show some promise, while being in a good position.

It's crazy too. Alot of mocks had the Bears missing out on a chance to get Fields and taking Jenkins in the 1st at 20, and they somehow came away with both of them. 

• Like 1

Nice work goldfish.  With Fields, I get the skepticism and questioning why he fell but the same thing was said about Mahomes too.

Personally, this pick just feels different from any other QB prospect in my lifetime (Mitch, Grossman, Mirer, etc) and I'm confident they made the right choice.  I ordered his jersey on draft day and that's something I don't usually do. That's how confident I am. But as you said though....only time will tell. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

"destroys"

"sets the edge"

"mantains the edge"

"disengages"

Is this a highlight? What does that even mean?

Are there highlight plays, absolutely, but this isn’t a highlight video... otherwise there would only be positive plays and the most impactful of them at that... likely have some upbeat rock or rap music attached to it too. 😆 

This is simply the tape you supplied. It’s a game tape that shows all of the reps available from the game.

You commented that he was on the ground a lot for an impact run stopper, I simply watched the tape and uncovered only 1 legitimate play where he was on the ground... based on your description, I simply thought I would uncover a lot more of such plays.

My conclusion was simply that your description was a bit of an exaggeration.

• Like 1