Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

7 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I know you didnt like what the Rams did but I didnt think you would feel it was the worst draft out of all teams. Ive looked everywhere and the worst Ive seen is C grade for the Rams. Mel Kiper Jr of ESPN gave the Rams B+. Chad Reuter of NFL.com gave the Rams an A. Walterfootball gave the Rams a C. Bucky Brooks from the NFL Network gave the Rams a C+. Profootball Focus gave the Rams a C. CBSSports.com gave the Rams a B-. USA Today gave the Rams a B+ grade. So my point is yes there were some that didnt love what the Rams did but they didnt think the Rams stunk up the draft. And by all the negative talk on here from not just you and @goldfishwars but others I wouldve thought that so many of the experts or at least people who get paid to follow the draft process would really kill the Rams draft. So I was pleasantly surprised by the Rams receiving no lower than a C but alot of B's and even a A. At least my eye test thought that yes the Rams didnt kill the draft but they had a plan and thus I dont think they failed either. Plus it comes down to trusting Les and McVay so even though alot of people are giving the Rams a C grade we know those players will get coached up and be put in situations to play well on the field and we will look back and say some of those players turned out to be not so bad as I thought they would be ala Fuller from last draft when people was freaking out and even years ago Johnson III who alot of Rams fans was left scratching their head about in the 3rd round. 

In terms of draft grades, a C is basically an F. Many reporters rarely, if ever, give out grades lower than a C, barring something truly abhorrent. Some will go so far as to give half or two-thirds of teams an A. Few people look at all the draft grades an analyst or writer hands out, most just click the article, go to their team, maybe their rivals, and then move on. So they grade to appease that audience. No one wants to log on and see their team given an F, so they just don't do Fs, by and large. They'll rarely do Ds. So the end result is a scale where a C actually does mean you had one of the worst drafts that year.

It's kind of like Madden ratings. On a true 100 point scale, a player in the 70s would be pretty good. But they only use like half the scale, so a player in the 70s is actually pretty crap. Same deal here. You have 5 letter grades, but 2 are virtually never used, so a C, which should seem average, is actually crap. A B, which seems quite good, is just meh.

The Rams team bus could run over stl4life's family puppy and he'd still praise it, saying it was the best example of precision driving on public transport ever seen.

LAR are going to be a top 6 team probably, it's OK to feature low on draft grade charts....

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The Rams team bus could run over stl4life's family puppy and he'd still praise it, saying it was the best example of precision driving on public transport ever seen.

LAR are going to be a top 6 team probably, it's OK to feature low on draft grade charts....

Hahaha nice one if I had a puppy. But in all seriousness I am critical of the Rams. Just because Im not over the top negative or just flat out crazy when it comes to criticizing it doesnt mean I never am critical.

Rams fans actually think the reason the Rams draft to was awful was because the Rams dont have Holmes anymore. Now I would agree IF Rams fans or fans in general didnt think the Rams drafts were bad when Holmes was with the Rams. Holmes was with the Rams last draft and I cant tell you how many people were lost because the Rams took three safeties and the worst pick by many was the Jordan Fuller pick. That didnt age well because Fuller balled out from Week 1 when he made that 4th and 1 stop on Lamb when the Cowboys was threatening to score all the way throughout the season. I know we saw the two interceptions he made against Brady on MNF. So if so many people thought Fuller was a terrible pick last draft then I dont know what to say. Then alot of people didnt like the Akers pick. Why take another running back high in the draft? You know why? Because Akers is a stud. He literally was the reason the Rams on offense was able to advance in the playoffs and some people including myself had a remote shot at beating the Packers. Again Akers is a stud. So thats why criticizing too much or too fast can come back to bite people in the butt.

When I look at the draft I want to see if the team has a plan and their draft history. I dont pretend like I know everyone that the team draft. I do look at scouting reports, highlights, and hear what experts like Mel Kiper Jr, Bucky Brooks, Daniel Jeremiah, etc... have to say. With the Rams under Les and McVay they come in with a legit plan and their draft history is great. If we were talking about the Raiders whom draft history is poor then ok its hard to give them the benefit of the doubt until we actually see it. So just like last year and even the year the Rams drafted Kupp and Johnson III in the 3rd round. People said the Rams drafted a slow and old prospect in Kupp and I know Rams fans was scratching their head by the Johnson III. I wanted the Rams to draft Juju in the 2nd round but when they traded back and took Everett I didnt go crazy because they didnt do so. I wanted to see what they do in the 3rd round. They took Kupp and then I went did my scouting report research and watched some highlights and was like Kupp looks to be perfect for McVay. So when people are saying Tutu is small and acting like he wont do anything in McVay offense like cant we just wait and see. Now I understand to those who arent high on Tutu. If you arent high on him then yes you are going to feel that the Rams pick of him was a bad one. When it comes to the draft unless you are hall of fame bound before you even suit up in the NFL it will depend on the right team and fit. I know the Niners got terrible grades for drafting Aiyuk so high last year but in Kyle's offense Aiyuk we know is going to thrive. Im a believer in if you have a guy you want you better draft him and not get cute. Rams fans said they couldve drafted Tutu in the 3rd round. My guess is nope. And if we are going to know the Rams for taking a small receiver in the 2nd round then knock the Dolphins, Eagles, Cards, and Seahawks for all taking small receivers before the Rams took Tutu. McVay is going to have so much fun with Tutu and those same fans who said Tutu was a terrible pick is going to be saying the Rams found themselves a dynamic player on offense that they never had. 

Lastly since many think Im never critical, Im more of the nitpick until I strongly feel like criticizing is warranted. Yes I can nitpick on some of the players I wouldve drafted. I like Terrace Marshall Jr but the Rams chose Jacob Harris. I wouldve taken a flier on Dylan Moses or Quincy Roche but the Rams didnt draft neither of them. And I never said the Rams had a great draft. They didnt kill the draft like I thought the Chargers did or the Browns did. I didnt think the Rams flunk the draft though. The Rams draft basically was them coming in saying they felt good on the OL with what they had, they wanted speed on offense, fix their special teams, and replace certain guys they lost on defense. Thats exactly what they did and just like last year when so many people was down on the Rams draft and it turns out the Rams actually knew what they were doing I have a good feeling the same is going to be true about it this year. Not saying the Rams wont have swings and misses because they will but the Rams afforded themselves with plenty of draft picks from trading down that even if it feels like a horrible draft the Rams just from having many picks and we know they are going to coach them up and put them in great situations to succeed that when its all said and done this draft class is going to look really good a year or two from now than it does today. Thats why Im not being overly critical because I trust the process and plan of Les and McVay. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 1

I have no issue with the Texans trading up.  They have like 6 roster spots available to get to 90 and they signed like 28 free agents.  The trade up for Collins might be good since they had 2 fourth rounders next year. Collins definitely have an early route to playing time.  Our WR core isnt that good aside from Cooks.  Cobb cant stay healthy and Coutee, Roberts, Conley, and Moncrief dont scream fear in anyone.  Given what Cesario had to work with I wont judge him based on this draft. 

Edited by Texansfan713

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I have no issue with the Texans trading up.  They have like 6 roster spots available to get to 90 and they signed like 28 free agents.  The trade up for Collins might be good since they had 2 fourth rounders next year.  Given what Cesario had to work with I wont judge him based on this draft. 

That's the only pick I liked - Nico Collins (I guess I like Roy Lopez, too).

Everything else was absolutely horrible. Not bad players, but no awareness on what this team needs.

Well Texans fans, on the bright side, you may have the #1 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, and if you're ever free of the Watson stuff and able to trade him, you may be able to rebuild and move on. ATL post-Vick was able to do it. Hopefully you can too. The city of Houston deserves better than this.

29. Seattle Seahawks

POLL: What grade do you give the Seattle Seahawks 2021 draft class?

This Class In One Sentence:
Almost the best they could do with three picks and then spending three picks. 

Pre-Draft Needs 
OT, CB, IDL, WR, IOL

Selections
2. 56. D'Wayne Eskridge - Western Michigan | WR |
4. 137. Tre Brown - Oklahoma | CB |
6. 208. Stone Forsythe - Florida | OT |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
I like all three players selected, all three were top 100 players on my board and Stone Forsythe could be the steal of the class. Eskridge is smaller and older than you would like, but he had insane production in his final season, where he roasted everyone on film. He showed out at the Senior Bowl too and has special teams upside as a returner. Tre Brown is a smaller gritty slot corner who played predominant cover 1 in college. Stone Forsythe was great value in the 6th, a sun blotting pass blocker who needs work in the run game. 

What I Didn’t Like
Going into an NFL draft with three picks and a list of needs is a catastrophe for a front office which was once lauded for its team building approach. I think it was the second smallest draft class in fifty years and eventually that catches up. To then only maker three selections, yeah that’s a tough way to build the depth you need. 
I felt for sure they would trade back, perhaps didn’t like the value they could get there. Eskridge is a nice player, but perhaps slightly questionable value compared with the likes of Dyami Brown going at 82 or even Jaelon Darden going at 129. When you factor in the age and the sometimes unreliability of his hands, you wonder if they could have traded back and still got him. 

• Like 1

a list of needs

By your own account Seattle filled 3 of 5 needs. 

Going into the draft, Seattle fans would say WR3 was the only HOLE on the roster. Eskridge immediately fills that need. CB depth was another need, Tre Brown fills that need. He will compete with DJ Reed, Spoon, Flowers and Desir for snaps on the outside. Developmental OT (Since Shell and Brown are both in the last year of the their contracts). Stone definitely fits the bill. 

The main issue Seattle fans might have with this draft is there wasn't competition added at C for Ethan Pocic. Currently its Kyle Fuller. That is probably the one missing piece going into camp. G isnt really a need. Gabe Jackson and Damien Lewis are solidified at the guard spots, with Simmons, Haynes and Jamarco Jones filling out the depth. Honestly, if Seattle wants more competition behind Jackson and Lewis, that's something that can be addressed in the post draft cuts. 

Seems like Seattle was worried about letting D Eskridge fall to LA at 57 (whom LA had a predraft meeting with). That may have played a role in Seattle being stingy with trading 56. Also, sounds like that may have had a deal in the works (according to JS), but it fell apart at the last second (just like last year). 

And honestly, if Seattle had traded 56 and picked up one or two more rotational depth pieces in day 3; would it really move your needle much?

Edited by animaltested