Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

28.  Dallas Cowboys

NFL draft: QB-needy Broncos don't draft a QB No. 9

This Class In One Sentence:
Lots of picks, lots of questionable value at those picks 

Pre-Draft Needs 
CB, OT, EDGE, TE, IDL, IOL, S

Selections
1. 12. Micah Parsons - Penn State | LB |
2. 44. Kelvin Joseph - Kentucky | CB |
3. 75. Osa Odighizuwa - UCLA | DT |
3. 84. Chauncey Golston - Iowa | DE |
3. 99. Nahshon Wright - Oregon State | CB |
4. 115. Jabril Cox - LSU | LB |
4. 138. Josh Ball - Marshall | OT |
5. 179. Simi Fehoko - Stanford | WR |
6. 192. Quinton Bohanna - Kentucky | DT |
6. 227. Israel Mukuamu - South Carolina | CB |
7. 238. Matt Farniok - Nebraska | OG |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
The Cowboys set themselves up well heading into the draft, with ten selections in the tank and they even picked up an additional third rounder with a brief hop down in the first round. Finding the two premier cornerbacks off the board already, was obviously a complete nightmare scenario for them. Parsons feels like a decent compromise, an explosive and sudden mover who is violent on contact and has deadly closing speed. 

I think Dallas had a strong round 4, with the pick-ups of Jabril Cox and Josh Ball – although the latter selection is likely to draw attention given the reason for Ball’s exclusion from Florida State. Cox is a classic range linebacker, who can cover well and Ball has genuine starting left tackle upside. Simi Fehoko and Quinton Bohanna feel like solid dart throws late on too. Odighizuwa has some value as a sub-package player, but I don’t think his ceiling is higher than that.

What I Didn’t Like

For so long, and in every possible scenario, it felt like a corner would fall to the Cowboys at 10. Then Caleb Farley's history of back injuries revealed itself, Jaycee Horn's stock got lit on fire and suddenly two QB needy teams Carolina and Denver are taking corners at their selection. Denver didn't even need a corner, it felt spiteful. It's the mirror opposite of what happened to Dallas last year, where everything broke right for them. 

There’s questionable value with some of their picks, particularly on the second day. There’s also a whiff of character concerns over way too many of their selections. Kelvin Joseph is a plus size/speed talent, who was kicked out of LSU (something which is hard to do) for repeatedly failing drug tests. With only 20 starts in college, he’s not someone I would be pinning my hopes on to nail down a starting role early on. 

Chauncey Goltson and Nashon Wright feel like overdrafts relative to where they were selected, with Golston being picked before Ronnie Perkins and Cam Sample. Wright was selected ahead Ifeatu Melifonwu and Ambry Thomas. Both have aspects about their game to like, and hilariously some Cowboys fans have started comparing Wright to Richard Sherman or perhaps he did that himself. Either way, in most pre-draft circumstances we would be talking about them as later day three picks. Wright was probably most notable for having the worst shuttle time among corners in record history. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Turnobili said:

who the hell is that guy that gave the Chargers an F lmao

I'm still laughing about Matt Lombardo giving Houston an F minus. 

• Like 3

I want to like the Cowboys draft, but I feel like they didn't really do enough to address the LB position. Most important spot on defense and they've kind of neglected it in recent years tbh.

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I want to like the Cowboys draft, but I feel like they didn't really do enough to address the LB position. Most important spot on defense and they've kind of neglected it in recent years tbh.

200.gif

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I'm still laughing about Matt Lombardo giving Houston an F minus. 

I can't really disagree with him...

Texans would have done a better job if they went Auto Draft.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

We spent a 1st on Parsons and landed Cox in the 4th, probably the best cover linebacker in the draft. I'd say we did ok.

41 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Um... They drafted a LB 12th overall?

Just now, ET80 said:

Um... They drafted a LB 12th overall?

Just now, Johnny Nix said:

I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by MOODMAN

...I'll see myself out.

No cursing while I'm away.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight, the Seahawks, according to the rankings had a better draft than the Rams and they only had 3 picks total. Took a receiver who weakness is actually catching passes. They took him in the 2nd round. Now I get that they had to do it if they thought the Rams would take him and plus they only had 3 picks total to work with so it’s not like they had much to work with. I’m just baffled that the Seahawks had a better draft than really any team with only 3 picks total. Not to mention from what I heard they needed a slot corner and took a corner who barely played in the slot at Oklahoma. You just can’t make this stuff up lol. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

\Not to mention from what I heard they needed a slot corner and took a corner who barely played in the slot at Oklahoma. You just can’t make this stuff up lol. 

Where did you hear this? Ugo Amadi started pretty much every game last year in the slot, and Seattle is getting Marquis Blair back, who was the original starter in the slot before his season ending injury. DJ Reed (the presumed starting RCB, can also play in the slot if need be.

Pete Carroll explicitly said Tre Brown will begin as on outside.

“He’s a corner,” Carroll said quickly. “He’s going to play outside and start there, and we’re going to see what he brings to the competition. He played outside throughout his years. Hasn’t played inside as a featured nickel guy, but we know that he would have the ability to do that.”

Edited by animaltested
7 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Where did you hear this? Ugo Amadi started pretty much every game last year in the slot, and Seattle is getting Marquis Blair back, who was the original starter in the slot before his season ending injury. DJ Reed (the presumed starting RCB, can also play in the slot if need be.

Pete Carroll explicitly said Tre Brown will begin as on outside.

I think I heard it on the PFF podcast earlier when they was breaking down their grades for the NFC West and NFC East divisions. 

12 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think I heard it on the PFF podcast earlier when they was breaking down their grades for the NFC West and NFC East divisions. 

Yeah PFF is way out of touch when talking about Seattle.  Been listening to their stuff for a while now, and their draft critiques of Seattle are pretty on point, but when they talk about their roster/ scheme; they obviously haven't done their homework and are just winging it. Near the mid point of the season last year, Brandon Shell was grading out as a top 10 pass blocking OT (before injuries sent his play into a talespin, still finished in the 70s) yet, every time they talk about Seattle, "Needs a RT " comes up. 

Ugo Amadi graded out as an average to above average slot cb; just outside the top 10 on their own damn scale. I have no clue why they think Seattle could upgrade or should spend draft capital at slot CB. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

So let me get this straight, the Seahawks, according to the rankings had a better draft than the Rams and they only had 3 picks total. Took a receiver who weakness is actually catching passes. They took him in the 2nd round. Now I get that they had to do it if they thought the Rams would take him and plus they only had 3 picks total to work with so it’s not like they had much to work with. I’m just baffled that the Seahawks had a better draft than really any team with only 3 picks total. Not to mention from what I heard they needed a slot corner and took a corner who barely played in the slot at Oklahoma. You just can’t make this stuff up lol. 

Yes they did. Our draft was bad it's ok it's not the end of the world. It may turn out better in time but on paper right now it wasn't good. 

• Like 2