Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2021 (All up)

goldfishwars

18 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Yeah PFF is way out of touch when talking about Seattle.  Been listening to their stuff for a while now, and their draft critiques of Seattle are pretty on point, but when they talk about their roster/ scheme; they obviously haven't done their homework and are just winging it. Near the mid point of the season last year, Brandon Shell was grading out as a top 10 pass blocking OT (before injuries sent his play into a talespin, still finished in the 70s) yet, every time they talk about Seattle, "Needs a RT " comes up. 

Ugo Amadi graded out as an average to above average slot cb; just outside the top 10 on their own damn scale. I have no clue why they think Seattle could upgrade or should spend draft capital at slot CB. 

Yeah when talking about our draft this year they touched on last year and completely omitted Cam Akers from that draft. Interesting site but I'd hardly rely on them for anything. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

So let me get this straight, the Seahawks, according to the rankings had a better draft than the Rams and they only had 3 picks total. Took a receiver who weakness is actually catching passes. They took him in the 2nd round.

It’s pretty interesting you’d say this after leaning so heavily on Mel Kiper, who had Eskridge as a top-40 player.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yeah when talking about our draft this year they touched on last year and completely omitted Cam Akers from that draft. Interesting site but I'd hardly rely on them for anything. 

Personally, I'm not keen/savvy/educated enough to critique PFF's grades. Honestly, looking at Seattle players, they mostly seem to match up with general consensus. My issue is when their YT/ Podcast personalities end up talking about Seattle. Steve Monson seems like the only one who has a general idea of what Seattle is/does. 

Edited by animaltested

10 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s pretty interesting you’d say this after leaning so heavily on Mel Kiper, who had Eskridge as a top-40 player.

I personally have no problem with the Seahawks taking Eskridge. I was saying what the guys from PFF said about the guy. I figured the Rams probably would’ve taken him had the Seahawks didn’t thus that’s one reason why the Seahawks took him where they did instead of trading back gaining more picks and still hoping to get him. I’m always on the side that if you like a player don’t get too cute. Just take him. I’m just saying the Seahawks had 3 picks total so it baffles me they had a better draft than anyone because they didn’t have really much to work with unless one might feel they did great with what they had. 

Edited by stl4life07

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Rams fans when Seattle took Eskridge at 56 - "What a terrible pick, bad value"

Rams fans if the Rams took Eskridge at 57 (which is what was going to happen if Seattle didnt) - "What a great pick, amazing value"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

Rams fans when Seattle took Eskridge at 56 - "What a terrible pick, bad value"

Rams fans if the Rams took Eskridge at 57 (which is what was going to happen if Seattle didnt) - "What a great pick, amazing value"

Honestly I don’t know what Rams fans would’ve thought on the pick. If I heard it correctly Eskridge would’ve fit the Rams scheme well because he is a more horizontal attacker rather than a down the field vertical attacker. The Seahawks brought over Waldron who was on the Rams staff so if he is going to employ some of the things the Rams do then Eskridge could fit well with the Seahawks but if the Seahawks continue to just be a down the field vertical type team then we shall see how well Eskridge could he could fit. 

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I personally have no problem with the Seahawks taking Eskridge.

Wherever the source was (your personal opinion or PFF), you certainly did seem critical of the pick. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Took a receiver who weakness is actually catching passes. They took him in the 2nd round.

If your go-to defense of the Rams’ draft was Kiper’s opinion, would it not be pretty silly to be critical of a player that Kiper was pretty high on (again, top 40)? If you’re going by Mel, that’s actually great value. Half a round’s worth of picks later than his position on the big board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Wherever the source was (your personal opinion or PFF), you certainly did seem critical of the pick. 

If your go-to defense of the Rams’ draft was Kiper’s opinion, would it not be pretty silly to be critical of a player that Kiper was pretty high on (again, top 40)? If you’re going by Mel, that’s actually great value. Half a round’s worth of picks later than his position on the big board.

Well if I came off being critical of the pick I wasn’t. I was stating what PFF said. As for me mentioning Mel literally he was the first person I looked at in terms of draft grades and what he had to say about the Rams draft. I could mention what Walterfootball had to say and they gave the Rams a C. Bucky Brooks gave the Rams a C+ but I only heard him talk about the Niners and Cards draft from the NFC West. 

Honestly I’m more on the side of Colin Cowherd who said he don’t give out grades because if the player is successful then the draft was a success. We can talk about what round the player got drafted based on what round he really should’ve got drafted but in the end if he plays well who cares if he went 2nd round or 4th round. That’s how I feel. Also I look at where the player lands? As I mentioned with Tutu, what better place to land than with McVay. He will have to suck really bad not to be even half successful with McVay and in the offense. Same thing with Eskridge playing with Wilson. So again if I came off as being critical of the pick I wasn’t. I was more so saying the Seahawks only had 3 picks total and if we are talking about a better draft I can’t say 3 picks make them having a better draft than anyone since so many people make a big deal about team building extremely important through the draft. 3 picks just aren’t capable of doing it based on that logic. 

19 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The Rams team bus could run over stl4life's family puppy and he'd still praise it, saying it was the best example of precision driving on public transport ever seen.

LAR are going to be a top 6 team probably, it's OK to feature low on draft grade charts....

Wish I could give you two footballs for the funniest comment I've ever read on here 😂

Soap box time:

If we are just a top 6 team something went horribly wrong. This team has no weaknesses and it's one of the best rosters in the league. So many Rams fans blamed the OL last year for Goff's struggles that this fallacy became internet fact (that we have a bad OL) - truth is we had a top 10 OL by most metrics and "lost" our only below average starting offensive lineman.

I hesitate to comment on the Rams draft here after stl getting crap for being so positive, but I think its similar to the people who always criticize us for not having first round picks - a lot of people can't fathom our team building strategy and end up with a bias. A few years from now this will be the 16th-ish best draft class, and will rank ahead of many teams who did have a first round pick.

I do get the disappointment with the Atwell pick though.

Not sure why I chose now to vent, and I know this is only about the draft, but I've seen power rankings that have had Seattle ahead of us this off-season after we beat the **** out of them in the playoffs and it melts my brain.

• Like 1

27. Indianapolis Colts

Colts GM Chris Ballard on selecting Kwity Paye in the first round

This Class In One Sentence:
A very functional, no fireworks at all sort of draft

Pre-Draft Needs 
OT, CB, WR, EDGE, IDL, TE

Selections
21. Kwity Paye - Michigan | DE |
54. Dayo Odeyingbo - Vanderbilt | DE |
127. Kylen Granson - SMU | TE |
165. Shawn Davis - Florida | S |
218. Sam Ehlinger - Texas | QB |
229. Mike Strachan - Charleston (WV) | WR |
248. Will Fries - Penn State | OG |

Picks Heading In

What I Liked
I like the Kwity Paye selection, it’s very solid. The best thing about him is what he could be, which isn’t always a great recipe for immediate success in the NFL, but he could have an early impact as a run defender for a team which keeps trying to find their go-to pass-rusher. 

If you park the fact Dayo Odeyingbo tore his Achilles in January, he flashed rare physical traits at Vanderbilt. He’s an ideal scheme fit for a team which utilizes big defensive ends and you can kick him inside on third down. I like the flyer on Mike Strachan late, who is a developmental receiver and big-time athlete, and Will Fries could become a decent back-up/swing lineman who is useful to keep around.

What I Didn’t Like
No early tackle pick feels egregious, regardless as to whether you’re planning to dip your toes in FA. 54 on Odeyingbo feels expensive unless you’re 100% sure he comes back from that injury like his old self. That’s still an injury which still ruins careers and can take a long while to recover from. The other selections are just sort of, eh okay. 

I’m not sure what Kylen Granson is, possibly a tight end or a full-back and core special teamer which, okay that’s fine – you can usually find those guys on the scrap heap. Shawn Davis is a developmental safety and probably another core special teams’ player, given that he did that a lot at Florida. If Sam Ehlinger had gone undrafted, I don’t think anyone would have blinked. He’s a decent back-up with no real high-level traits. 

• Like 1

I’m actually higher on TE Granson then others. He was one of the best YAC TEs in the draft. He has really good open-field ability. His catching issue is a bit over blown. He had no drops before his horrible week 8 game against Cincinnati where he had 4. He finished the season with 7. His other weaknesses is obviously blocking but they won’t use him for that. Mo Alie-Cox, Doyle and others will fill those roles.

Edited by Blackstar12