The 2021 post-draft mock

Disappointed how the draft turned out ? Think you can do better ? Then it's time for the post-draft mock. 

The rules. You can choose NOT to make a deal the Packers did on draft day (ie you could draft at #92 and not lose #135, or draft at #85 and lose #135), but you cannot make any new deals. You can only draft a player that is still on the board when each pick comes around (I used wiki draft to see where all the picks went).

Here is my effort: I chose not to move up in the 3rd for the cost of a 4th rounder.

1) DE Levi Onwuzurike
2) OT Brady Christensen
3) CB Ifeatu Melifonwu
4a) DT Daviyon Nixon
4b) WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
5a) ILB Cameron McGrone
5b) WR Cornell Powell
6a) CB Tay Gowan
6b) S James Wiggins
7) RB Kylin Hill

I like this draft a lot. Hugely more than the actual draft. Am I crazy ? Maybe.

I did do another attempt (not shown) where I did make the deal the Packers did, in round 3/4. That attempt began OT Teven Jenkins, DT Milton Williams, OC Quinn Meinerz, CB Keith Taylor, LB Garett Wallow, WR Simi Fehoko.

This thread needs to be buried for a couple of years and then brought back and reviewed with the benefit of hindsight. Anyone else care to have a go ?

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Is this based on players that were actually available when we made selections in the actual draft (?) or a draft simulator?

It's players that were actually available in the draft for every pick. no point in a post draft mock otherwise, imo.

For example Onwuzurike actually went at #41 (to the Lions) and so would have been available at #29.
Brady Christensen actually went at #70 (to the Panthers) and so would have been available at #62.........etc, etc.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It's players that were actually available in the draft for every pick. no point in a post draft mock otherwise, imo.

For example Onwuzurike actually went at #41 (to the Lions) and so would have been available at #29.
Brady Christensen actually went at #70 (to the Panthers) and so would have available at #62.........etc, etc.

Okay. Thanks. I recognize the names at least :)

This would seem to be a good exercise, 1265, for later on comparing how things really worked versus whom an individual would have selected.

One note:  There is some advantage in doing this in retrospect?  Knowing which players are going to be available in subsequent rounds could help a GM greatly.  For example, maybe they thought DL's they liked would probably last to pick 2, or 3, or 4.  But it didn't flow that way.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, craig said:

This would seem to be a good exercise, 1265, for later on comparing how things really worked versus whom an individual would have selected.

One note:  There is some advantage in doing this in retrospect?  Knowing which players are going to be available in subsequent rounds could help a GM greatly.  For example, maybe they thought DL's they liked would probably last to pick 2, or 3, or 4.  But it didn't flow that way.  

Absolutely correct, we do have that advantage and it is considerable, but it is (somewhat) counterbalanced by not being able to make our own trades. For example we  know that in round 2 (pick 62), by moving up just three spots we could get WR Terrace Marshall (taken at pick 59)...............but we can't do it, because the Packers didn't do it. Equally, if we chose not to do the deal the Packers did (which we are allowed to do) and had kept pick 135, we can see that one target I wanted (DL Tommy Togiai) also went three picks earlier (pick 132), and we can't get him, either. Finally, fans only have a fraction of the resources that the Packers have, so while foreknowledge IS an advantage, it is somewhat mitigated. At least we are faced with the same choices Gute had.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

I'll disagree and say it is not a good exercise. The second you make the first pick of Onwuzurike it sets of a whole set of dominos. Stokes is now available and where does he go? The team that takes him will now release their pick into the pool of players and on and on and on. The players available to you changes at every pick. Teams that are need based drafters who draft a player at a different position than they originally did will now be drafting totally different players this time around. I can see where it would be fun for some people, but it is not very realistic. IMO   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

I'll disagree and say it is not a good exercise. The second you make the first pick of Onwuzurike it sets of a whole set of dominos. Stokes is now available and where does he go? The team that takes him will now release their pick into the pool of players and on and on and on. The players available to you changes at every pick. Teams that are need based drafters who draft a player at a different position than they originally did will now be drafting totally different players this time around. I can see where it would be fun for some people, but it is not very realistic. IMO   

So that makes the gazillion pre-draft mocks that basically guesses where any player gets taken more worthwhile ? and they are very popular indeed. This is just for fun, but is also constrained by what actually happened. If you don't like the exercise, don't participate. I certainly enjoy doing this every year, and I'm surprised it isn't more of a 'thing'.

I'll take a crack at it.  OK, maybe two...

1. Teven Jenkins, OT

2. Paulsen Adebo, CB

3. Quinn Meinerz, G/C

4a. Tyree Gillespie, S

4b. Tre Brown, CB/returner

5a. Cornell Powell, WR

5b. Elijah Mitchell, RB

6a. Shaka Toney, OLB

6b. Marquiss Spencer, DL

7. Grant Stuard, ILB

OR...

1. Jevon Holland, S

2. Brady Christensen, OT

3. Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB

4a. Ta'Quon Graham, DL

4b. Larry Borom, T/G

5a. Avery Williams, CB/returner

5b. Quincy Roche, OLB

6a. Michael Strachan, WR

6b. Tay Gowan, CB

7. Gerrid Doaks, RB

33 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@tttmikeb Plenty of players in both your choices that I like.

Yeah, I felt the same way about yours. 

Honestly, if I could make a hybrid mock, I'd keep the Amari Rodgers pick.  I mostly skipped over him in my pre-draft reading since I assumed the Packers would stick with their recent big WR trend.  But the more I read about him, the more I like him.  

I'd love this draft with Rodgers in it:

1. Jenkins, OT

2. Adebo, CB

3. Rodgers, WR/returner

4. Borom, T/G

5a. Mitchell, RB

5b. Williams, CB/returner

6a. Wiggins, S

6b. Spencer, DL

7. Stuard, ILB

• Like 1

I'll play along.  Only I'm going backwards, just so I can see who is available.

256.  Dylan Moses, ILB.  Gimme and ILB that may have medical issues, but who also was projected as a first round pick a year ago.  

220.  Tay Gowan, CB.  Really liked him.  Can't believe he lasted this long.

214.  Cole Van Lanen, OT.  Pretty cool with him at this pick.

178.  Simi Fehoko, WR.  Great developmental WR selection.  Can't teach size and speed.

173.  Tedarrell Slaton, DT.  Yah, I'll keep this pick.

142.  Kenneth Gainwell, RB.  He would have been exciting.  Weaponz.

85.  Amari Rogers, WR.  Either him or Nico Collins.  Flip a coin.

62.  Brady Christensen, OT.  But I'm not going to argue against Meyers.  We do need a starting center.

29.  Eric Stokes, CB.  I'm only taking him because I got to work backwards and needed a corner here.

And?????  Stuck without a center.  Only way to get Dallman is to take him in the third.  And I'd rather have Meyers in the second than Dallman in the third.

Thinking Gb was pretty happy in the second to have two highly rated centers looking at them.

And they were feeling really good in the third when it looked like they were going to choose between Rogers, Brown and Collins at WR/

• Like 2